Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This just means that Steve is expecting us to regress more next year and is trying to clear assets for further rebuild. I think we can expect more guys with value to be traded as well like Berggren and Fabbri.
Just...no.

Stapling a pick to a reasonable contract is neither clearing assets nor dealing a player "with value". I have no idea what comes next for the Wings, but this is definitely not a situation of, "well, we're gonna take a step backwards anyway, so I might as well cough up a draft pick to start shedding players".

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Is this when I'm supposed to say that Walman was a shite player?

He really wasn't great this season, but I can name 3 defenders worse than him. But perhaps they were not moveable?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I definitely do. It's not my place to divulge more info than what I already have. And tbh I don't care if you believe me or not.

Just sharing a small bit of info to shed a bit of light on the trade.

Just know that Yzerman and the coaches were sick of his bs.

So if they needed to clear cap space leading to a signing he was the odd man out since they can't trade holl or Petry.

However I fully expect holl to be bought out
Interesting.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
IMG_2025.jpeg

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Trading assets to get rid of Walman, when Petry/Holl/Copp are still under contract is quite baffling. Looks like it'll be another doozy of an off-season for the Yzerman and Draper show

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This just means that Steve is expecting us to regress more next year and is trying to clear assets for further rebuild. I think we can expect more guys with value to be traded as well like Berggren and Fabbri.

Does not really fit on the rebuild picture, to give extra draft pick away.

Yzerman is building up.

A) needing cap space
B) targeting for a better team culture.
C) opening slots for LD kids

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
This is the moneky’s paw curling after we all wished for room for Ed and Johansson.

Gotta be more coming soon. I’m a bit floored that we had to package a second to move him to San Jose of all places. Hopefully it isn’t bad news about Walman personally.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yzerman has completely lost his marbles.

Between this and the joke of a deadline I’m really starting to lose my trust in him, no matter how handsome he is

Reactions: lidstromiscool

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Holl will be bought out when the buyout window opens

If they have to buy out Holl after one year in the same offseason that Yzerman has to pay a 2nd to get rid of Walman, then they need to push Yzerman to some VP-only position and give someone else a shot at GM.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
You would think you would keep your assets + a young player like Berggren if you are planning on regressing, so I don’t buy this

Reactions: jkutswings

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
It has to be something because you could do a lot of things first besides this. Waive or Buyout Holl or Maatta, it can't be as simple as the cap hit.
I still expect Holl to be bought out, but the buyout period doesn’t open until 48 hours after the Final ends. So, tomorrow night.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
If they have to buy out Holl after one year in the same offseason that Yzerman has to pay a 2nd to get rid of Walman, then they need to push Yzerman to some VP-only position and give someone else a shot at GM.

I don't think so. He's building the team through the draft. And we have the 2nd rated prospect pool. We have Ed and Johansson coming up. Asp, Danielson, Kasper etc in a few years.

At least he owns his mistakes and cleans them up

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
I member when cap space wasn't an issue, just this last year

The cap has been stagnant for like 4 years. Every top 20 teams having cap issues. You still have to field a team which requires paying players and sometimes you make mistakes like holl

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It could be that Jake Walman was our worst defenceman defensively.

1719349950017.png

1719349978360.png

Walman had the worst EVD (even-strength defence) number at both GAR and xGAR.

Usually you can debate and analyze it, if it's only either number. But having worst numbers on both, is usually alarming.

Last edited:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
It doesn't even feel like it's a cap issue either, and you can see he has the team structured where cap is falling off every year. It's interesting because this is a move that a team going for a cup would make.

I guess we will see what the plan is, but I wouldn't imagine they are gonna go full cap ceiling here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad