Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Very shocked, I thought Walman was one of our best d-men (not saying much). But apparently we’re all the crazy ones for thinking he had value, because 30 teams could have had Walman and a 3rd rounder for free and said no. Either that or Yzerman didn’t do his due diligence.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I didn't realize people disliked Ghost so much.

It doesn't excuse this being an awful way to free up money. But, barring finding a way to find an actual really good replacement, I would rather have Ghost than not have him

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
This is a very unanticipated move! Must be something going on off the ice for Walman to get the Vrana treatment. SY doesn’t want any distractions around when building a winning culture. Wouldn’t be surprised if he sees Walman as a negative influence on Seider.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Gibson is a former 2nd, we traded him for another 2nd. That’s 1 for 1. then we got also a third round prospect. We then traded the 2nd we just received to get rid of Walman. That’s now two 2nd rounders out, plus Walman, while the only thing we kept was the former 3rd rounder. Explain how I’m bad at math again?

You really don't look that smart, at least you don't understand what 1 for 1 means

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
if there were off-ice issues the club didn't want to have to deal with any more, we're unlikely to ever hear about it. Even when we know a dude has issues, we rarely get specifics. Or maybe the guy sucks way more than we realized and the rest of the league had a way different view on him than a lot of us did. That happens, too.

I thought the guy had way more value than this. It sucks that he didn't. Oh well.
What we know about Walman off ice is that he is a video game nerd.
Many interviews he talks about his love for all that and how that is basically all he does away from hockey.

Might have upset people/brass he wasn’t spending time getting in better condition/shape. But definitely doesn’t seem like the partying type.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
This is a cap dump so clearly Yzerman is planning on making some more moves. Wonder if this increases the likelihood that kane is re signed?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If it didn't cost a 2nd, why did it cost a 2nd? Yzerman was just feeling generous?

yeah, I think this might just reflect on how well we judged the guy versus the entirety of the NHL. Maybe there were off-ice things, or maybe we were just really wrong on his value.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
You really don't look that smart, at least you don't understand what 1 for 1 means
I’m say thing that part of the trade is essentially a 1 to 1 swap because it’s a second rounder from last year for a second rounder this year. We then get a 3rd round prospect on top of it. The 3rd round prospect is so far the only thing we have kept today. We have lost Walman, Gibson (2nd round from last year) and a 2nd from this year. That’s a lot to lose in a cap dump.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Honestly if this was done just to extend Ghost, for the first time, I'm genuinely going to doubt Yzerman's ability to GM.

It's not probably that. But it's something what happened behind the scenes - you want to get rid of the guy thanks to team policies - and now they are looking for secondary options.

Mostly Walman gone is a signal of opening spots for LH kids like Edvinsson or Johansson.

We are not that stupid people, to understand, when a positive player is dumped out, just on hockey purposes. There's more behind the scenes.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
yeah, I think this might just reflect on how well we judged the guy versus the entirety of the NHL. Maybe there were off-ice things, or maybe we were just really wrong on his value.

The weirdness with him being out of the lineup near the end of the season makes me think there was something else going on.

I started joking if Walman was still alive given there was so much mystery about his status and when and if he'd be back in the lineup.

This is an odd move that hopefully looks that way right now because of incomplete information.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What we know about Walman off ice is that he is a video game nerd.
Many interviews he talks about his love for all that and how that is basically all he does away from hockey.

Might have upset people/brass he wasn’t spending time getting in better shape. But definitely doesn’t seem like the partying type.

well, we don't often hear players give interviews about how they are really big into cocaine in their spare time. :laugh: If there was an issue, we're not going to know about it unless a police tape is involved.

But, yeah, it could be as simple as him being unwilling to put in the time. Or maybe the guy was just valued way less than the value we put on him. In the end it appears that the people who matter when it comes to determining the guy's value apparently didn't like him.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I don’t like this move at all

IMG_5028.jpeg

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Well we know Ghost is not good at defence, the #1 thing SY admitted needed to be improved, so...clearly another move or two is in the way...

Id like to know now but may have to wait a week

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad