Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Using 2 2nds to move our likely 3rd or 4th best defenseman while we are still stuck with holl and petry and you guys still won’t eat crow on this issue. Hilarious. If this gets us Roy or somehow theodore or some other name it will be worth it but until then this is looking terrible.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
With two trades in the same day, it seems safe to guess that Yzerman still has moves in mind. And it's entirely possible that one or more of those moves become a home run of an addition. So I'm not writing today off as if everything has completely unfolded.

That said, on paper, the act of unloading Jake Walman with a 2nd round pick stapled to him, in exchange for future considerations, makes absolutely zero sense. Even if he does have off-ice issues, he played well enough this past season that SOMEBODY should have been willing to give Detroit at least a late round pick, rather than losing both the player and a pick in the offloading.

WEIRD...at least for now.
Yep, it's an awful trade from what we know. Absolutely inexplicable. As more information becomes available, perhaps an explanation will become clear. I have to think Walman is truly spoiled goods somehow. If he's going to play next year, half the league should be beating down our door to beat SJ's offer

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
if there were off-ice issues the club didn't want to have to deal with any more, we're unlikely to ever hear about it. Even when we know a dude has issues, we rarely get specifics. Or maybe the guy sucks way more than we realized and the rest of the league had a way different view on him than a lot of us did. That happens, too.

I thought the guy had way more value than this. It sucks that he didn't. Oh well.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Did anyone listen to the Expected by whom podcast interview with him? I got a super weird vibe from him but at the time wasn't sure if I was just imagining things.
Never even heard of it, but now I'm curious...

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Using 2 2nds to move our likely 3rd or 4th best defenseman while we are still stuck with holl and petry and you guys still won’t eat crow on this issue. Hilarious. If this gets us Roy or somehow theodore or some other name it will be worth it but until then this is looking terrible.
Even then it looks terrible. This is only reasonable if Walman isn't an NHL defenseman anymore for some publicly unavailable reason

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Everyone panic. Losing Jake Walman and a 2nd just derailed the rebuild.

Derail the rebuild is obviously a bridge way too far, but I don’t know how this trade doesn’t spark a reaction. 99% of this board projected Walman in our top four next year. If MBH proposed that we dump his 2x3 salary with a 2nd round pick, everyone would say that’s a ludicrous proposition. We’ll see if there’s more to the story, but on paper idk how this is not a serious concern to any Wings fan.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Who is "you guys" and on what issue?

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It’s 2. We traded Gibson to get that 2nd then traded it again. It’s essentially 2 2nds and Walman for a 3rd round prospect.
That's... not how math works.

If I trade a dollar for an apple, then trade the same apple to you for a dollar only 1 apple has been traded. We got the 2nd round pick from the Gibson trade, then we used it in this trade. That's 1 2nd round pick in, 1 2nd round pick out.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Who is "you guys" and on what issue?
People have been ridiculing anyone calling out yzerman the past 2 years, especially when it comes to criticism of his signings. I said those signings and logjam would likely cost us draft capital to get rid of somehow, and sure enough it did at a pretty decent price. Those are solid assets we could be using to actually acquire talent not ship it out. Again if nothing else happens this is objectively terrible.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Derail the rebuild is obviously a bridge way too far, but I don’t know how this trade doesn’t spark a reaction. 99% of this board projected Walman in our top four next year. If MBH proposed that we dump his 2x3 salary with a 2nd round pick, everyone would say that’s a ludicrous proposition. We’ll see if there’s more to the story, but on paper idk how this is not a serious concern to any Wings fan.
Well, for one, we've heard rumblings from posters on this board and from this post going back a few months now that Walman fell out of favor in the locker room.

We don't know what he did. Maybe the rest of the league does. Obviously if Yzerman didn't have to attach a second to him to get rid of him, he wouldn't have.

Yzerman clearly felt he needed to free up that roster spot from Walman and his cap space in order to improve the team. Let's see what he uses it for before we freak out over losing a mid defenseman.

Reactions: sepster

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
It’s 2. We traded Gibson to get that 2nd then traded it again. It’s essentially 2 2nds and Walman for a 3rd round prospect.
Let's ignore the Finn. At the beginning of the day we had:
Walman + Gibson
At the end of the day we have nothing.

Based upon the first trade Gibson = 2nd

Therefore we went from Walman + 2nd to nothing.

It's only one second even if it was involved in two trades.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

That’s a very ass backwards way of assessing this trade. As Gibson was traded for a 2nd we traded Gibson to divest Walman. The net result was nothing but Gibson being subtracted from this team to unload Walman.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
People have been ridiculing anyone calling out yzerman the past 2 years, especially when it comes to criticism of his signings. I said those signings and logjam would likely cost us draft capital to get rid of somehow, and sure enough it did at a pretty decent price. Those are solid assets we could be using to actually acquire talent not ship it out. Again if nothing else happens this is objectively terrible.

Sorry, I don't remember you critisizing Yzerman for signing Walman to that contract.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Nah we’re just ridiculing your math.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad