Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fowler524

Mar 31, 2008
Royal Oak, Mi
This has to be a precursor to something else right? I wouldn't think Walman would be traded as a cap dump. It's gonna be an interesting few days ahead.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Here's my guess. SJ has the #14 pick right in front of us. They make a pick we like and then that player gets packaged back to us as a future consideration. Or something along these lines. That's the only way a future consideration makes sense.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Are we clearing up cap for another trade? For free agency? Wondering what the thought is here.

If we could sign Skjei to replace him that could work out well, but upgrading via free agency seems like a gamble.
Even if that were the case, I would think Walman would have a lot more value than that. Something fishy is afoot

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Weird trade... but I'd imagine our future considerations are a decent pick if Walman plays significant time in San Jose. Chances are we aren't giving him away.

Cap space is at 33ish? Half that to Ray and Mo and let's go play around July 1st.

I liked Walman and all but he has lapses defensively and seemed to have an effort issue at times, unless he was playing hurt?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Detroit traded Nick Leddy to St. Louis for a deal including Walman and St. Louis 2023 2nd round pick. Detroit selected Andrew Gibson with that pick. Detroit then traded Gibson for a 2024 2nd round pick and then used that pick to trade Walman to San Jose.

• Haha
Reactions: Star Platinum

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Good time to revisit this April post from @Petes2424:

I’d be careful adding Jake Walman anywhere in Detroit’s Top 6 at this point. I know fans like him, but it’s no coincidence the pinball game (in their own end) stopped with him in the press box.

Let’s just say, there’s probably a better chance Johansson plays with Seider next year, but it’ll likely be Chiarot. They just can’t allow Seider to spend half his shifts, chasing down Walman’s 3 ft passes to his invisible friend.

Pretty positive, the decision NOT to put Walman back with Seider (after he returned from his injury) came from the front office. It was insane Lalonde allowed it to keep going as long as he did. Then Chiarot actually played very well with Seider. A little surprising because last year, he kept trying to carry play when he was with Seider and it caused lots of issues. This time around, he played the way he’s always been great playing. Being a supporting, role playing dman. Not trying to do too much. It’s the best hockey he’s played in Detroit.

Then what did Walman last? One game playing on the bottom pair, before it was very apparent Maatta was much better with Ghost?

So speaking of trading their 1st, good bet Jake Walman is also moved this summer, and there will be a market for him. Whether it’s a solid bottom six player, prospect or something like a 3rd and a 5th. Teams will see the really good tape, and think they’ll fix the invisible friend stuff.

Anaheim might be a good bet for Walman.

We’ll see, but good chance we’ve seen the last of Walman in Detroit.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
It is interesting that league's persepction of Walman seems to be rather low, i mean alot team can use a defenseman, all that they needed to say i take a 3rd instead of second, but they didn't

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I have to think something happened off the ice and Walman is not playing NHL hockey again and that’s a pure salary dump. I honestly can’t justify it any other way.
As wrong as it is to speculate on something like this.... this is the first thing that makes any sense.

Something else being in the works doesn't explain the terrible value of attaching a 2nd with him

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Something happened on the the Arizona/Vegas road trip.

And it has been Vrana-bad actions, because they just wanted to get rid of the guy.

This indicates, how Walman has broken team policy very very bad, whatsoever.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I have to think something happened off the ice and Walman is not playing NHL hockey again and that’s a pure salary dump. I honestly can’t justify it any other way.
Yeah based upon on-ice play, this is inexplicable. Even if I tell myself "Yzerman hates Walman and wanted him gone no matter what" there's no way that this makes sense. We should be trading Walman for a 2nd +, not Walman + 2nd for FC if we want to trade him. If we're not about to find out that he's a meth head or a sexual predator, and everyone in the league knows, I have no explanation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad