W Nikita Kucherov (2011, 58th overall, Tampa Bay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Apparently as the story goes. Yzerman wasn't planning on drafting him. He thought of him as a first round talent, but the Russian Factor was some what scaring him off. Kucherov approached Yzerman and said "I want to play in the NHL." He just wants to develop in Russia.If that's the case, then I would expect him to be an NHLer...A pretty damn good one at that. I would rather Russians Develop in Russia anyway as a personal preference.

For players that can't make the jump from juniors to the NHL (like Grigorenko and Yakupov), it is probably better that they develop in Russia until they're 22 or so. If I were an NHL GM, I would take the player when I knew he would make the roster, so that the AHL-KHL choice was never there.

I don't know much about Kucherov, but he sure seems to have all of the talent you can ask for. I bet if he would be one of the top players in juniors, rather easily.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Apparently as the story goes. Yzerman wasn't planning on drafting him. He thought of him as a first round talent, but the Russian Factor was some what scaring him off. Kucherov approached Yzerman and said "I want to play in the NHL." He just wants to develop in Russia.If that's the case, then I would expect him to be an NHLer...A pretty damn good one at that. I would rather Russians Develop in Russia anyway as a personal preference.

Also, Vladislav Namestnikov's(TB first round pick) father is one of Kucherov's coaches so Yzerman talked to him following the first round selection and the cemented his selection.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I might be looking through my "man-crush" glasses but I think Yzerman has an eye for great players and I think he did well in the draft. Nesterov is also a player looking like he is developing well and will be a great value pick if he makes the team at any level.

Yzerman played with some of the leagues most talented Russians during his career although Russian hockey has changed I am sure he learned a lot about Russia development, also like mentioned above there were some personal connections to the players to know or find out more details.

Kucherov's development looks like its coming along nicely.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Kucherov coming to NA?

Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko

#CSKA F Nikita Kucherov drafted by #Remparts at CHL import draft. Looks like will play in QMJHL next year, is a good friend of M.Grigorenko

If this is accurate, it's a huge win for Tampa. Not only does it get Kucherov in a more ideal development environment, I think it'll help with getting Gusev to come over also.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
He should try to become a regular starter in the KHL not another junior league, he and Gusev (Gusev even more so) are already too good for junior hockey.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He should try to become a regular starter in the KHL not another junior league, he and Gusev (Gusev even more so) are already too good for junior hockey.

Looks like with all big money coming to CSKA they just don't have spots for their young players.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
it would be stupid to go play some junior league when he has a good shot at cracking cska roster
Looks like with all big money coming to CSKA they just don't have spots for their young players.
nope. with bragin being his coach i would say his chances to crack the roster are much better

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
it would be stupid to go play some junior league when he has a good shot at cracking cska roster

nope. with bragin being his coach i would say his chances to crack the roster are much better

But it'd be interesting to compare his MHL and CHL statistics. He was the 2nd best MHL scorer behind only Gusev.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
http://www.journaldequebec.com/2012/06/27/du-concret

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2012/06/27/coup-de-theatre-de-patrick-roy

«On a décidé, mardi soir, qu’on acceptait de mettre un X sur Grigorenko, a reconnu Roy qui ne savait pas 24 heures avant le repêchage, s’il se prévaudrait de son choix européen (le 41e). Maintenant, on fait comme si Grigo allait jouer dans la ligue Nationale la saison prochaine et présentement, c’est ce que j’anticipe.

«J’ai parlé à Grigorenko à Pittsburgh et il m’a dit que Kucherov, qui fait 5 pi 11 po et 171 livres était intéressé de venir jouer à Québec, a expliqué Roy. On avait essayé de l’avoir l’an dernier aussi, mais il était sous contrat. Aujourd’hui, on fait le choix que Grigo va jouer dans la LNH et on va faire tous les efforts pour emmener Kucherov à Québec. »

"We decided on Tuesday night, we agreed to accept Grigorenko wouldn't be back, acknowledged Roy who did not know 24 hours before the draft if he would use his import pick. Now, we work as if Grigo will play in the NHL next season and right now, I think he will."

"I talked to Grigorenko in Pittsburgh and he told me that Kucherov was interested to come and play in Quebec, said Roy. They tried to have him last year too, but he was under contract with CSKA. Today we made ​​the choice that Grigo would play in the NHL and we will make every effort to bring Kucherov in Quebec. "

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Why play in the QMJHL if he can win a job with CSKA?:huh: Its a step back in competition level.

I don't know if influential, but Kucherov's parents spend most of the year in North America. They have some international diplomatic jobs.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If Grigorenko gets sent back to the Q, they'll have to trade somebody. They can't have more than 2 import players, right? Or am I wrong about that?

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Quebec is lacking 3rd line scoring but I guess with Grigorenko-Kucherov, they wouldn't need it...

Sounds like it's Grigerenko-Sorensen or Kucherov-Sorensen. Don't think it would go over too well bringing Sorensen over, blowing out his knee and then dumping him.

Fulcrum

I will be just speechless, if Kucherov comes over to play in CHL instead of KHL... :facepalm:

CSKA goes out and does everything for these guys, including getting the best Junior coach in like the last 10-15 years, creates a VHL farm-team. Fedorov as GM, who said they are counting on Kucherov when he recovers from his shoulder surgery.

To me, those just look like hopeful CHL picks, with no real agreement between the player and CHL team. If there was an agreement Kucherov would go #1, no question.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Sounds like it's Grigerenko-Sorensen or Kucherov-Sorensen. Don't think it would go over too well bringing Sorensen over, blowing out his knee and then dumping him.

It depends on how they do it. If they just dump him, I agree, if they send him to a good team, it might be ok.

They could have dumped him after he hurt his knee and trade for another, but they didn't.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I will be just speechless, if Kucherov comes over to play in CHL instead of KHL... :facepalm:

CSKA goes out and does everything for these guys, including getting the best Junior coach in like the last 10-15 years, creates a VHL farm-team. Fedorov as GM, who said they are counting on Kucherov when he recovers from his shoulder surgery.

To me, those just look like hopeful CHL picks, with no real agreement between the player and CHL team. If there was an agreement Kucherov would go #1, no question.

Maybe Kucherov has an agreement with Roy, and perhaps the Bolts pushed him into coming over

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not sure if its worth mentioning Kucherov and Gusev both were drafted by lightning and Fedorov and Yzerman were once good teammates. Some behind the scenes dialog potential there :naughty:

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
Why play in the QMJHL if he can win a job with CSKA?:huh: Its a step back in competition level.

I don't know if influential, but Kucherov's parents spend most of the year in North America. They have some international diplomatic jobs.

But what kind of role would he have on CSKA? If he's serious about playing in the NHL I think playing in a bigger role with the North American rules might be better for his developpment.

Fulcrum

But what kind of role would he have on CSKA? If he's serious about playing in the NHL I think playing in a bigger role with the North American rules might be better for his developpment.

Probably similiar role to last season. 3rd/4th line winger on KHL team with some PP time. If he does good there, 2nd line is quiet possible too

VladNYC*

After all the changes in CSKA, he would be stupid to come over now to play in juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad