W Nikita Kucherov (2011, 58th overall, Tampa Bay)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBakester66

Jun 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
Yes the KHL vs CHL debate has been beaten to death. It definitely depends on the individual. In Kucherov's case, I actually do think he'll be better off developing in the KHL. He's a shifty winger, and the space provided by the KHL rink should support his growth into a top 6 forward a bit better than a tight AHL rink. I also like the thought of him playing in the KHL until the olympics. If he is one of the top 12 forwards in Russia at that time he'll make the team. 22 seems to be a good age to come to North America. If he does make the Olympic team, he should be good enough to play top 6 at the NHL level, hopefully skipping all but a brief stint in the AHL.

That doesn't mean that I agree that the KHL is always the best route for development. It depends on your type of game and position.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I saw one of his games in Slovakia(?) a week or two ago. I remember before the draft people were calling him too small for the NHL but you definitely could not call him too small in that game. Skinny? Yes, but not small. He was one of CSKA's best players and created a lot of dangerous scoring chances. And he's very fast on his skates as well.

Top prospect, no doubt.

Fulcrum

Watched the game vs Atlant. Kucherov, Gusev, Zubov line was by far the most dangerous line for both teams. It's amazing to see that these 18-19 year olds are throwing everyone off their chairs.

You could see the Atlant headcoach go "Where did that come from???" when Kucherov slapped passed to Marchenko for an almost sure goal.

There were also a few sure goals in MHL that just didn't fly in KHL when Gusev and Kucherov set each other up.

This team is going to be very interesting to watch this year, just wish Grigorenko was a part of it :(...

And the Russia's U20 with Kucherov getting some solid KHL experience is very promising this year.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Watched the game vs Atlant. Kucherov, Gusev, Zubov line was by far the most dangerous line for both teams. It's amazing to see that these 18-19 year olds are throwing everyone off their chairs.
What line did Prokhorkin play?

Fulcrum

He admits he's a bit light for men so far. Wants to get some weight.

what about for women?? :jk: sorry, I had to.. :)
I thought he looked average (physically) for KHL and could hold the puck along the boards for a bit. NHL would be a different story though..

pouskin74*

Yes the KHL vs CHL debate has been beaten to death. It definitely depends on the individual. In Kucherov's case, I actually do think he'll be better off developing in the KHL. He's a shifty winger, and the space provided by the KHL rink should support his growth into a top 6 forward a bit better than a tight AHL rink. I also like the thought of him playing in the KHL until the olympics. If he is one of the top 12 forwards in Russia at that time he'll make the team. 22 seems to be a good age to come to North America. If he does make the Olympic team, he should be good enough to play top 6 at the NHL level, hopefully skipping all but a brief stint in the AHL.

That doesn't mean that I agree that the KHL is always the best route for development. It depends on your type of game and position.

its like "NHL level" is something special compared to KHL:laugh: i admit Top 6 level in Red Wings is very good one but Top 6 in former Atlanta Trashers is nothing to be amazed with.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Could someone compare him to an NHL player? I haven't seen enough of him really, he looks like the real deal too from what I read here

And if he has such chemistry with that Gusev guy I could see Yzerman making a move for him

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Could someone compare him to an NHL player? I haven't seen enough of him really, he looks like the real deal too from what I read here

And if he has such chemistry with that Gusev guy I could see Yzerman making a move for him

Some people compare him to Bossy. But can't say is this right or wrong...

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich

I like the Bossy comparsion, his scoring instincts are through the roof, even better than his sheer skills, and are among the best I've seen in junior hockey.

during the last draft I was wondering why Yzerman didn't take Gusev with a 7th Round Pick.... he definitely won't get him as cheap after this years WJC.

Helpoing

21st c schizoid man
Jun 28, 2011
Riga
He's playing on a young 4th line (with Gusev and Prokhorkin), but the coach isn't using them as the usual checkers, he gives them some freedom. But no PP or PK time, afaik.

TTTT

Jan 7, 2010
Is there someone who knows how Kucherov has fared in Russia this season?

Is he playing in the KHL or MHL?

goodfellas

Jan 29, 2011
If Kucherov would have taken the Yakupov road and played his junior hockey in NA and clearly commited himself to the NHL, where do you think he would have been drafted in the 2011 nhl draft?

I'm impressed by what I saw of him so far in the subway series, his hockey sense and playmaking habilities are amazing.

pouskin74*

If Kucherov would have taken the Yakupov road and played his junior hockey in NA and clearly commited himself to the NHL, where do you think he would have been drafted in the 2011 nhl draft?

I'm impressed by what I saw of him so far in the subway series, his hockey sense and playmaking habilities are amazing.

you never know but i think in first round for sure.

mikeedef

Jan 12, 2011
Nikita Kucherov

what type of NHL career will he have? and will he be better than Mark Stone?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
With any Russian player you wonder will he have an NHL career or KHL one.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
With any Russian player you wonder will he have an NHL career or KHL one.

Apparently as the story goes. Yzerman wasn't planning on drafting him. He thought of him as a first round talent, but the Russian Factor was some what scaring him off. Kucherov approached Yzerman and said "I want to play in the NHL." He just wants to develop in Russia.If that's the case, then I would expect him to be an NHLer...A pretty damn good one at that. I would rather Russians Develop in Russia anyway as a personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad