W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I hope having a local legend like Martin St Louis as head coach of the Habs pushes him to train even harder this summer to impress him at camp in September. Gotta work on that first step and overall speed. The talent is definitely there.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I hope having a local legend like Martin St Louis as head coach of the Habs pushes him to train even harder this summer to impress him at camp in September. Gotta work on that first step and overall speed. The talent is definitely there.

I hear that a lot, but the truth is that you can't really work at your speed, these people have had power skating lessons since they were 6yo, they've already reached their potential, it's genetic. They can work on moving their feet all the time so they're already moving when it's time to make their first step, like Gally did, but that's about it.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I hear that a lot, but the truth is that you can't really work at your speed, these people have had power skating lessons since they were 6yo, they've already reached their potential, it's genetic. They can work on moving their feet all the time so they're already moving when it's time to make their first step, like Gally did, but that's about it.
Point, Draisaitl, Barkov

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
This 18 years old has 73 pts in 37 games! He has great hands and is a high-end passer.

I really hope this kid turns out to be the real deal but to be honest, this year the strength of the eastern teams is generally greater than the western teams. To get the best read on Roy, ! feel his performance against eastern teams is the best measurement of his talent.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Top 10-15
Yea he’d probably go late of the 1st round.

Jordan Dumais is ranked in that range and while Josh does have better stats, Jordan isn’t that far behind.

josh Roy is significantly outpacing Bolduc, L’heureux and Bourgault however and all were 1st round picks last year

Either way, i think Roy could be steal of the draft. He may even get a chance at the world juniors in august. I know they will likely keep same team but maybe some players like mctavish will make the nhl and therefore will skip which will open 1-2 places. Got to think Roy has a good chance of maybe getting one of those spots considering he was late cut in December and his remarkable season so far

bootzycollins

Feb 18, 2022
I don't remember watching so many highlights of a player putting up these kinds of numbers who just appears to skate so "lazily" - maybe Connor Geekie? - there seems to be absolutely no urgency behind the stride. I mean hey, if it works, it works...but it concerns me when attempting to project how his offense will translate at the next level

Reactions: HankyZetts

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I don't remember watching so many highlights of a player putting up these kinds of numbers who just appears to skate so "lazily" - maybe Connor Geekie? - there seems to be absolutely no urgency behind the stride. I mean hey, if it works, it works...but it concerns me when attempting to project how his offense will translate at the next level
Fwiw many thought the same about Suzuki,

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

The thing is that there of lots of these types of players who can dominate in the juniors then they just don't translate at the next level.

Will Roy be the exception, who knows at this point?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
That might be why Suzuki dropped....wait he didn't.
Roy dropped because there was question marks about his work ethic and commitment to the game, Suzuki didn't because his work ethic was never in question, his speed was. This is what I was addressing in the previous comment. Below is the article from EOTP in 2019 for the top 25 under 25.

2019 Montreal Canadiens Top 25 Under 25: #5 Nick Suzuki

Suzuki, especially in the early years of his Junior career, didn’t really force defenders on their heels with blazing speed, or fly past them to score. He was probably always a better skater than given credit for, but rarely did Suzuki go all out to show the full extent of his physical ability. He instead attacked open spaces, challenged defenders with his high-level handling ability, and, sometimes slowed down the play to do so. He still moved the opponents out of position to create great scoring chances, but did so methodically and through the usage of his teammates.

Pace on the individual player level reflects the ability to play quick; to make decisions under pressure in an instant. It’s not a measure of physical ability. Speed is often listed as the main weakness in the forward’s game, but there is hardly a prospect in the Habs’ pool with an ability to process player movements and react faster to it than Suzuki. The high-energy game at the professional level might take some getting used to for Suzuki — like many other prospects of his calibre — but there should be no concern about his ability to make plays at speed.

His skating work with skill coach Dwayne Blais, and the past season with Barbara Underhill, will certainly help the forward keep up. Suzuki already raced up and down the ice with a little more ease last season, especially toward its conclusion.

This is for his draft +2 year as an FYI, so think not this off-season for Roy but the following.

Edit: not saying he's a suzuki in the making, just that we heard similar things about suzuki

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Roy dropped because there was question marks about his work ethic and commitment to the game, Suzuki didn't because his work ethic was never in question, his speed was. This is what I was addressing in the previous comment. Below is the article from EOTP in 2019 for the top 25 under 25.

2019 Montreal Canadiens Top 25 Under 25: #5 Nick Suzuki

This is for his draft +2 year as an FYI, so think not this off-season for Roy but the following.

Edit: not saying he's a suzuki in the making, just that we heard similar things about suzuki

Fair enough, I just thought it was a weird comment because despite his "skating issues" Suzuki was always seen as a more complete type of player, much like ROR and Roy is very much a top 6 offensive guy or nothing.

Reactions: Bruhin and Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Fair enough, I just thought it was a weird comment because despite his "skating issues" Suzuki was always seen as a more complete type of player, much like ROR and Roy is very much a top 6 offensive guy or nothing.
Agreed, in the little I've seen of Roy, and listening to the other posters who do follow more closely he doesn't have that physical edge like Suzuki so he's a very boom or bust top 6 type. Which is great because outside of Caufield and Anderson we don't really have too many in that role right now that could be ready when we're ready to compete. I see him becoming one of two things, 60pt goal scoring winger or a career Journeyman AHL/KHL/ Euro league player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad