W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Roy is 6'0" so I don't know what you're talking about with regards to his size. He has very average size, not a problem at all. He's not a goalie or defenseman. And if he succeeds in the NHL he'll end up listed as 6'1" since everyone always wins an inch when they succeed, which is the NHL average.
Maybe he meant he plays small. Roy definitely avoids the physical side of the game. Which isn’t that big of a deal as long as he still learns to work hard in board battles

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
It is not stats watching. Look at him play please. With him it's vision, IQ, great passes and shots on target.

The whole "he would be a first round pick in a redraft" is very iffy and mostly based on stat watching IMO.

Sure he is having a great D+1 year but that's not exactly how to view any draft less than 1 year out, even more so in a Coivid season.

Don't get me wrong Roy is doing better than even the Habs expected (otherwise they wouldn't have picked 6 players before him in the draft) but he is still a longshot as the jump from the Q to the aHL then NHL is larger than many think.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It is not stats watching. Look at him play please. With him it's vision, IQ, great passes and shots on target.
My comment wasn't directed totally towards you but to most redraft opinions which are almost always based on stat watching.

Maybe 1% of the guys who post here might actually watch whole games of players not on their drafted NHL teams or favorite pipeline teams, maybe 10% watch more than 20 or 30 prospects clips then the rest basically stat watch and watch some clips (mostly of their NHL teams prospects).

Roy showed really good offensive skills in his draft year as well, what he is doing this year skill wise isn't a surprise, how it translates to the next level is what is in doubt.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Roy isn't the fastest, nor the one who's gonna throw his weight around.

But his hockey IQ is way up the chart, his sense of anticipation is great.

Plus he's strong in 50/50 battles, where he end up with the puck more often than not (even against older players in Habs camp).
He's also very good to make room for himself around the net.

Add to this an excellent execution and an array of shots, you have a (very young, born in August) draft+1 player on a 120-130 pts pace season in the Q.

He'll be a steal in 5th round.

About time Habs hit a homerun in later rounds, the last one was Gallagher in 2010, 12 years ago...

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
About time Habs hit a homerun in later rounds, the last one was Gallagher in 2010, 12 years ago...

The year before Roy, they got some nice picks in the 4th round (Biondi and Farrell). Also Primeau and Evans with 7 round picks. But i wouldn't call any of them homeruns just yet if ever.

Jul 6, 2016
The year before Roy, they got some nice picks in the 4th round (Biondi and Farrell). Also Primeau and Evans with 7 round picks. But i wouldn't call any of them homeruns just yet if ever.
I would prefer Habs to have great (better) 1st and 2nd rounders !

Reactions: loadie

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Haven't heard much of this Joshua Roy kid until now. Is he going to be on the Habs next Season?

...No, Really. I didn't discover him until just recently. What should I know?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Haven't heard much of this Joshua Roy kid until now. Is he going to be on the Habs next Season?

...No, Really. I didn't discover him until just recently. What should I know?
Top scorer in the Q, late-round pick in the most recent draft because of perceived attitude issues which at surface level seems to have dissipated over the last year. Was a former 1st overall in the Q. Late cut for WJC may make it in august depending on circumstances of other players. Looked great in the NHL exhibition games at the start of the season which for an 18 year old 5th rounder caught people by surprise.

Most of the big scouting guys on here think his skill and hockey sense is through the roof but his skating is the question mark which we won't know if he'll be able to adjust till he makes it to the show.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Top scorer in the Q, late-round pick in the most recent draft because of perceived attitude issues which at surface level seems to have dissipated over the last year. Was a former 1st overall in the Q. Late cut for WJC may make it in august depending on circumstances of other players. Looked great in the NHL exhibition games at the start of the season which for an 18 year old 5th rounder caught people by surprise.

Most of the big scouting guys on here think his skill and hockey sense is through the roof but his skating is the question mark which we won't know if he'll be able to adjust till he makes it to the show.
Not just skating but his overall pace of play is going to have to improve substantially. Very, very few players are able to slow down the game in the NHL like he currently does junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad