Injury Report: Vol. II (Updates in First Post) | Fleury, Bortuzzo + Määttä Being Tested for Mumps

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT
I think he came back within the schedule. If memory serves it was 4-6 months and everyone assumed it would be 6 months but he was close to 4. He still could have come back too early, I suppose, but I don't know if he did and idk how much that would have to do with chipping a bone.

iirc Pouliot also came back well before the 6 month mark after a slightly more complex surgery.

Hmm, okay thanks. I guess my only thought might be that some weakness in the muscles surrounding the joint could lead to a chipped bone if it get jostled awkwardly. Even with rehab they wouldn't be as strong as before when he first returned to action. That is, of course, out of my area of expertise so I'm not going even try backing that speculation up.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
I feel like mumps has detracted us from the ACTUAL hilarious injury: Someone squeezed his neck and it infected his salivary gland. That's some Grade-A Crosby right there.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I feel like mumps has detracted us from the ACTUAL hilarious injury: Someone squeezed his neck and it infected his salivary gland. That's some Grade-A Crosby right there.

That's also some Grade-A made up BS I bet so they could try to save face.

Also Maata seeking a second opinion is a smart move as long as it is someone not affiliated with the Pens. ;)

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014

Also Maata seeking a second opinion is a smart move as long as it is someone not affiliated with the Pens. ;)

It fits the swelling he had on his neck after the Carolina game that one could see during his postgame interviews, so unless he had mumps symptoms for 2+ weeks...

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

yeah, I was thinking what are the odds for that one? getting his salivary glands infected right before getting infected with the mumps...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It is insane to me that people are not vaccinated against the mumps. It was almost erradicated in the states a decade ago (for a while the annual rate of infection was less than 300 people PER YEAR). But now, partially because of the insane anti-vaccination lunatics, it's returning. Jesus.

We are dumb, dumb beasts.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Meningitis is another side effect of mumps. Yet TTEOT's first thought is Crosby's genitals- so much so that he mentions it twice.

Same dude that won't stop bringing up Sid being gay.

lets not exagerrate here.

orchitis is the most frequent complication of mumps infection in adult males after parotitis. its a logical question that anyone with medical knowledge would ask when talking about mumps. meningitis is more rare.

there was one thread in which i mentioned crosby's sexuality, in which rossi insinuated that crosby might be gay. aside from that thread, i have never commented on sid's sexuality.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
It is insane to me that people are not vaccinated against the mumps. It was almost erradicated in the states a decade ago (for a while the annual rate of infection was less than 300 people PER YEAR). But now, partially because of the insane anti-vaccination lunatics, it's returning. Jesus.

Proof Darwin's theory is still at work. But Crosby and a few of the players were vaccinated.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The vaccine isn't 100% effective-- no vaccine ever really is. But because less and less people are getting vaccinated, our herd immunity is decreasing, which means that people like Sid who don't have the immunity (despite the vaccination) are increasingly at risk.

It's absolutely bonkers to me that the NHL has to deal with a serious communicable disease outbreak in this day and age. It's irresponsible and stupid, and one more symptom of our health system's slow decline into absurdity.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Any news on Chris Kunitz ?

When is he supposed to come back ?
His original timeline wasn´t that bad, but apparently there are some complications with him. He was trying to skate on Friday, but wasn´t feeling well while doing it. So, nobody knows.. But it shouldn´t be THAT long until he comes back..

He was playing with a broken foot for a while, funny eh?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Sid getting the mumps and possibly spreading it to everyone else keeps reminding me of the Mighty Ducks (the first and best one).

The Pens are eventually going to all get the mumps and going to have to forfeit the season like the Panther did in the movie because of the measles.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Sid getting the mumps and possibly spreading it to everyone else keeps reminding me of the Mighty Ducks (the first and best one).

The Pens are eventually going to all get the mumps and going to have to forfeit the season like the Panther did in the movie because of the measles.
No, definitely not all. This is just COMPLETELY WRONG. I mean, I don´t even know/care if Craig Adams was vaccinated, but I´m sure as hell that he´s immune.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa

I'm sure that this (bolded) is a far fewer number of people than just your run-of-the-mill irresponsible parent syndrome. Most people get the measles/mumps shot at a young age. I'm a teacher, and I'm not shocked at all anymore at the severity and amount of neglect from "parents". Also, most of the people getting it are Canadian, so I blame Canada.:sarcasm:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
yeah, I was thinking what are the odds for that one? getting his salivary glands infected right before getting infected with the mumps...

My uneducated guess is that Crosby already had the virus in him at that point but his body was doing an effective job fighting the virus off and when he was grabbed the already somewhat compromised gland swelled rather easily. Which would make sense (to me at least) considering the first test they ran showing the high antibody count and that he had no other symptoms including the other gland not swelling.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
My uneducated guess is that Crosby already had the virus in him at that point but his body was doing an effective job fighting the virus off and when he was grabbed the already somewhat compromised gland swelled rather easily. Which would make sense (to me at least) considering the first test they ran showing the high antibody count and that he had no other symptoms including the other gland not swelling.

Except he missed practice for being sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad