Injury Report: Vol. II (Updates in First Post) | Fleury, Bortuzzo + Määttä Being Tested for Mumps

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Somebody wakes me up when the Penguins organization diagnoses, reports on, and treats a single injury competently.

I'm actually more frustrated by this team's inability to administer injuries than I am about the plethora of injuries themselves to our star players over the last 5 years.

Maatta's cancer and Dupuis's blood clots?

The old medical staff was a problem for sure but this one hasn't given any indication of incompetence. If he has tested negative for mumps multiple times that's not really on the medical staff.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014

The old medical staff was a problem for sure but this one hasn't given any indication of incompetence. If he has tested negative for mumps multiple times that's not really on the medical staff.

Yeah, exactly.

I swear, the amount of people I saw saying that the same doctors misdiagnosed Crosby's "concussion"...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I would say that letting Crosby hang around the team for up to a week is concerning.

If he tested negative for mumps, that's fine, but what *does* he have then? He still may have something serious or contagious.

I mean, if your face is as swollen as Sid's, mumps is a best case scenario.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I would say that letting Crosby hang around the team for up to a week is concerning.

If he tested negative for mumps, that's fine, but what *does* he have then? He still may have something serious or contagious.

I mean, if your face is as swollen as Sid's, mumps is a best case scenario.

this is what's bothering me. It's been growing for 10 days. How do you not have a diagnosis?

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
During a scrum in the Penguins' 3-2 victory Nov. 29 at Carolina, Crosby's neck was grabbed and squeezed by a Hurricanes player. He subsequently ended up with an infected gland that caused minor swelling that went unnoticed by people outside the organization.

Because of that swelling, Crosby was tested for mumps. The results were negative. That information came from a source who is familiar with the incident in Raleigh and its aftermath, but requested anonymity.

A mumps outbreak has hit the NHL this season with at least a dozen players on teams from both coasts testing positive.

The Penguins never publicly acknowledged the gland issue, which did not cause Crosby to miss any games.

Penguins: It might not be mumps for Sidney Crosby

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
According to the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mumps/basics/causes/con-20019914

Unless someone who had it was breathing in his face roughly a week or two ago, he shouldn't have it.

CDC cant explain the mumps outbreak in the NHL. They are studying it. its irregular at best. They cannot trace it to any one thing and the vaccine is only 88% effective so who has it compared to who was exposed is almost impossible to tell... ... there are all sorts of wild theories....

I just cannot believe that Crosby was struck down by an illness that mirrors mumps symptoms during a known mumps outbreak that isn't actually mumps.... you have to believe its a weird and highly unlikely coincidence at best.

Again pens docs have had a miserable track record with everything... If you told me tomorrow that Maatta didn't have cancer, it was just the Mumps or heck anything else, and we ruined his life, Id almost believe it....:sarcasm: Dang Country club Docs... there just is no credibility there... it seems like they are always missing something or releasing guys too early

ByeByeBylsma*

I'm skeptical (I've never seen anything like this happen to another player who got grabbed around the neck - then again the Pens are true pioneers in innovative ways to get sick/injured), but if it means he doesn't have the mumps then I'll take it.

I'd rather he have mumps. It's a known quantity and it's harmless to someone with a healthy immune system so long as they treat it conservatively with bed rest and light comfort food. Yeah, the odd person gets orchitis or meningitis from it, but that's probably people who work ****** minimum wage jobs with no sick days to use for recovery.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I'm skeptical (I've never seen anything like this happen to another player who got grabbed around the neck - then again the Pens are true pioneers in innovative ways to get sick/injured), but if it means he doesn't have the mumps then I'll take it.

I just love the humor on this board.

penguins2946*

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 13m13 minutes ago
Johnston: "IR indicates (Maatta) will be out a couple weeks while they’re running tests & figuring out where they’re going to go with it."

That's not nearly as bad as the predictions in here hopefully.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I think you're reading it... optimistically? :)

I don't think that says, "he'll be out for a couple of weeks" I think it says, "it will take them a couple of weeks of tests to figure out the best way to treat [the injury]"

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Perhaps thinking about whether to get surgery on his shoulder or trying to let it heal (if that is the injury).

If it is bone chips , they have to make sure there isn't an immediate risk to sharp bone fragments causing ligiment or muscle damage, if so then they operate, best I can tell from med sites that probably ends his season, though I guess if it was in the right spot it could be less significant...

As for Sid, the thought crossed my mind that they don't want to say Mumps because that more or less wipes out him playing through most of the holidays and ticket sales are usually up for everyone during the holidays...

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I think you're reading it... optimistically? :)

I don't think that says, "he'll be out for a couple of weeks" I think it says, "it will take them a couple of weeks of tests to figure out the best way to treat [the injury]"

Let's hope for the best because if Maatta is done for year I highly doubt they move Martin.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
If it is bone chips , they have to make sure there isn't an immediate risk to sharp bone fragments causing ligiment or muscle damage, if so then they operate, best I can tell from med sites that probably ends his season, though I guess if it was in the right spot it could be less significant...

As for Sid, the thought crossed my mind that they don't want to say Mumps because that more or less wipes out him playing through most of the holidays and ticket sales are usually up for everyone during the holidays...

Most of those tickets are already bought. I know I bought mine for Tampa next Sunday over a month ago. Funny thing is last time I had pens tickets a week before the game Crosby got a puck in the face. So I apologize and will never buy a pens ticket again

Malkin112*

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 48m48 minutes ago
#Pens Coach Johnston on Olli Maatta: "They’re still running tests on him and trying to get a second opinion with the injury."

This is confirmation that it's serious injury

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Most of those tickets are already bought. I know I bought mine for Tampa next Sunday over a month ago. Funny thing is last time I had pens tickets a week before the game Crosby got a puck in the face. So I apologize and will never buy a pens ticket again
It's okay. I haven't been to a game in Pittsburgh since the Cooke - Savard game, yet I have no intention of apologizing to Bruins fans.

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto

Disagree with your positive impression of that wording.

"Out a couple of weeks while they run tests and figure out what to do..."

Sounds pretty serious. Not that he's out a couple of weeks - but that they're running tests for a couple of weeks and figuring out wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad