Blue Jays Discussion: Vladdy named ASG MVP. Draft Over. Now all that's left is the trade deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
My favourite example of a team actually announcing the exact dollar amount was February 28:

Transactions

You got to think the Jays and Arizona work on another trade in the near future. I cant see why the DBacks would trade Ray for Bergen and a few months later trade him back for $0. The optics of it look terrible. Either Hazen owed Shapiro a favor or there has to be another deal or something. Epsecially considering Ray is a Cy Young candidate now.

But this might be worse than trading John McDonald for PTBNL and that PTBNL turned out to be John McDonald going back to Toronto. Johnny Mac was traded for himself.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
You got to think the Jays and Arizona work on another trade in the near future. I cant see why the DBacks would trade Ray for Bergen and a few months later trade him back for $0. The optics of it look terrible. Either Hazen owed Shapiro a favor or there has to be another deal or something. Epsecially considering Ray is a Cy Young candidate now.

But this might be worse than trading John McDonald for PTBNL and that PTBNL turned out to be John McDonald going back to Toronto. Johnny Mac was traded for himself.
Why do I not remember the Johnny Mac trade. That’s hilarious.

Reactions: phillipmike

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
...Did Mercedes solely retire due to being demoted?

He wasn't playing terribly when he was demoted. That makes it look less like an "earned" demotion and more like the team (or specifically Tony LaRussa) was being petty and vindictive in the wake of the whole "swinging at a 3-0 pitch" fiasco.

I think he's overreacting, but I can kinda see where he's coming from. It can be hard to see a way out of you think your employer is purposely targeting you in a dickbag move and likely has no reason or expectation of changing (the hiring of LaRussa was basically direct from ownership, so nobody's going to go to bat for Mercedes himself. Nobody that matters, at least)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Have we ever seen a month of baseball from a teenager in full season ball like Orelvis is doing? He's got 11 HR in 65 at bats in 17 games this month with a week left to go before July ends. 11 HR is a pretty good year for most minor leaguers, even guys with power which doesn't tend of be found in games for guys so young. His OPS for July is over 1.500 in 17 games. The stupid crazy numbers aren't even that BABIP inflated because they're so homerun dependant. He's 15 for 34 on balls in play which at .441 is high but when you're crushing so many homeruns I have a hard time not thinking a lot of the other hits are just crushed as well. 7 of those 15 other hits are doubles.

Vladdy's entire minor league career was teenage years so he was about a year younger at each level, but I still don't remember anything remotely close to this. Not saying Orelvis is going to be Vladdy, that would be insane, just to compare the ridiculous run Orelvis is on.

How much longer does he do this before someone tells him to book a flight to Vancouver?

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I remember the HRs Clippard gave up.
I know it sounds crazy, but as the unofficial leader of the local Tyler Clippard fan club, I will point out that he has been one of the better relievers in the league since 2018 and was worth 1.5 rWAR in his 68.2 innings with the Blue Jays, which is pretty impressive for a bargain bin reliever. He just came off the IL yesterday too so he might be a name worth keeping an eye on as we approach the trade deadline.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Keith Law just released his top-50 prospects:

5. Gabriel Moreno, C, Toronto Blue Jays
Moreno broke his thumb in mid-June, which might be the only thing stopping his ascent to the majors right now, as he hit .373/.441/.651 in 32 games in Double A as a 21-year-old before the injury, while showing plus defensive skills across the board for the Fisher Cats. Moreno has quick hands and excellent bat control, with a short swing that should produce average power but a ton of hard contact, while he’s made substantial progress as a receiver. His hand strength may not be all the way back until next year due to the injury but it’s not a factor for the long term. He’s a future star.

12. Austin Martin, SS, Blue Jays
Martin’s swing has become a bit more inside-out this year than it was in college, possibly because of a hand injury he sustained on a slide in mid-May, but he’s still getting on base at a high clip — .409 so far on the season in Double A, .428 since the start of June — just without power. He’s been splitting time between shortstop and center field, with the latter the more likely position of the two, especially as his throwing hasn’t been great when he has to move to his right at short. He hasn’t had an extra-base hit in a month, which is almost certainly a result of that inside-out approach, but he’s doing all the other things he’s supposed to be doing, and has a strong leadoff profile once he gets back to his usual swing.

19. Nate Pearson, RHP, Blue Jays
Pearson still has No. 1 starter stuff, but his trouble staying healthy is enough of a concern to slide him down from where he was before the season. This year it’s been a sports hernia and groin injuries, which have set him back to the point that the Jays are talking about moving him to the bullpen for the rest of this season, which could also help the Jays in their playoff push. He can show multiple plus pitches and hit 100 mph when healthy — even sometimes when he’s not fully healthy — and they seem committed to letting him start again next spring, which is the right call given his upside.

40. Orelvis Martinez, SS, Blue Jays
Martinez has been on an incredible tear of late, with seven homers in his last seven games to seize the lead in the Low-A East League by three over Anthony Volpe, who’s already been promoted; no one else in the league has more than 10 homers. Martinez has tremendous bat speed and the ball comes off his bat extremely well, while he’s played mostly shortstop this year and has the plus arm and soft hands for it. He’s 6’1″ and is going to end up over 200 pounds, so he might move over to third, but this hit/power tool combination is going to play anywhere, and it’s going to come down mostly to how good his plate discipline — which still lags his other tools — becomes.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Have we ever seen a month of baseball from a teenager in full season ball like Orelvis is doing? He's got 11 HR in 65 at bats in 17 games this month with a week left to go before July ends. 11 HR is a pretty good year for most minor leaguers, even guys with power which doesn't tend of be found in games for guys so young. His OPS for July is over 1.500 in 17 games. The stupid crazy numbers aren't even that BABIP inflated because they're so homerun dependant. He's 15 for 34 on balls in play which at .441 is high but when you're crushing so many homeruns I have a hard time not thinking a lot of the other hits are just crushed as well. 7 of those 15 other hits are doubles.

Vladdy's entire minor league career was teenage years so he was about a year younger at each level, but I still don't remember anything remotely close to this. Not saying Orelvis is going to be Vladdy, that would be insane, just to compare the ridiculous run Orelvis is on.

How much longer does he do this before someone tells him to book a flight to Vancouver?

2013 Joey Gallo? 12 home runs in the final month of his season.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Nice to see Moreno is a good defender. That was the one thing I didn't know about him; however, catcher is definitely an experience position, so I prefer he stays in the minors for a bit.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Keith Law just released his top-50 prospects:

5. Gabriel Moreno, C, Toronto Blue Jays
Moreno broke his thumb in mid-June, which might be the only thing stopping his ascent to the majors right now, as he hit .373/.441/.651 in 32 games in Double A as a 21-year-old before the injury, while showing plus defensive skills across the board for the Fisher Cats. Moreno has quick hands and excellent bat control, with a short swing that should produce average power but a ton of hard contact, while he’s made substantial progress as a receiver. His hand strength may not be all the way back until next year due to the injury but it’s not a factor for the long term. He’s a future star.

12. Austin Martin, SS, Blue Jays
Martin’s swing has become a bit more inside-out this year than it was in college, possibly because of a hand injury he sustained on a slide in mid-May, but he’s still getting on base at a high clip — .409 so far on the season in Double A, .428 since the start of June — just without power. He’s been splitting time between shortstop and center field, with the latter the more likely position of the two, especially as his throwing hasn’t been great when he has to move to his right at short. He hasn’t had an extra-base hit in a month, which is almost certainly a result of that inside-out approach, but he’s doing all the other things he’s supposed to be doing, and has a strong leadoff profile once he gets back to his usual swing.

19. Nate Pearson, RHP, Blue Jays
Pearson still has No. 1 starter stuff, but his trouble staying healthy is enough of a concern to slide him down from where he was before the season. This year it’s been a sports hernia and groin injuries, which have set him back to the point that the Jays are talking about moving him to the bullpen for the rest of this season, which could also help the Jays in their playoff push. He can show multiple plus pitches and hit 100 mph when healthy — even sometimes when he’s not fully healthy — and they seem committed to letting him start again next spring, which is the right call given his upside.

40. Orelvis Martinez, SS, Blue Jays
Martinez has been on an incredible tear of late, with seven homers in his last seven games to seize the lead in the Low-A East League by three over Anthony Volpe, who’s already been promoted; no one else in the league has more than 10 homers. Martinez has tremendous bat speed and the ball comes off his bat extremely well, while he’s played mostly shortstop this year and has the plus arm and soft hands for it. He’s 6’1″ and is going to end up over 200 pounds, so he might move over to third, but this hit/power tool combination is going to play anywhere, and it’s going to come down mostly to how good his plate discipline — which still lags his other tools — becomes.
:eek:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Keith Law praising Blue Jays prospects makes me uncomfortable.

and the explosion of Orelvis reminds me of a few years ago where I believe someone stuck an Adrian Beltre comp on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad