Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'd take Couturier off the point on either PP. He looked TERRIBLE when playing it. Just keep the 1st PP together which was amazing last season.

Couts in the AHL looked great on the PP playing off the half boards... I would think about putting him there on the 2nd PP, a la Giroux, his natural abilities mean he suits it there with his great eye for passes.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Timonen-Couturier

Schenn-Vinny-Simmonds
Streit-Read

A PP looking like that is pretty damn sweet.

Why is Couturier on the PP, let alone the first PP unit?

First unit stays the same, and personally I would rather see Lecavalier on the right wing on the PP where they can use his one timer, at least after the faceoff.

I would do:

Read-Schenn-Lecavalier

Streit-Gus

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Couts in the AHL looked great on the PP playing off the half boards... I would think about putting him there on the 2nd PP, a la Giroux, his natural abilities mean he suits it there with his great eye for passes.

Eh, Im not going to agree there. He looked alright. The PP in the AHL also had Akeson, Schenn, Gustaffson, Syvret, McGinn etc etc. It was a stacked PP. I dont think he is mobile enough to be playing it. Our PP seems to exchange guys alot as they constantly switch and go. In the NHL I thought he looked great while on the outside wall, just not on the point. I honestly like Read better on the point.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Eh, Im not going to agree there. He looked alright. The PP in the AHL also had Akeson, Schenn, Gustaffson, Syvret, McGinn etc etc. It was a stacked PP. I dont think he is mobile enough to be playing it. Our PP seems to exchange guys alot as they constantly switch and go. In the NHL I thought he looked great while on the outside wall, just not on the point. I honestly like Read better on the point.

I get this is comparing it to the AHL but :laugh:

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Likely PP units:

Lecavalier - Giroux - Simmonds
Timonen - Voracek

Hartnelll - Schenn - Read
Streit - Gustafsson

Likely PK units:

Couturier - Read/(Gagne)
Timonen - Schenn

Laughton - Talbot/(Gagne)
Coburn - Grossmann

Likely lineup:

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
(Gagne) - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Gervais

RJ8812*

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Timonen-Couturier

Schenn-Vinny-Simmonds
Streit-Read

A PP looking like that is pretty damn sweet.

there's no way Gus doesn't get any PP time next year. It'll probably look something like this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen-Voracek

Read/Schenn-Schenn/Couturier-Lecavalier
Streit-Gus

Also, for PK: Giroux, Read, Couturier, Talbot and Laughton if he makes the team. Gagne if he comes back might get some time as well. I can see Voracek too

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I still see no reason at all to break up the first powerplay unit. The second unit should now feature Schenn, VL, Read, Streit and whichever 5th earns the half-wall spot between Gus and Couturier.

I just can't see breaking up one oft he most dominating first power play units in the game until they demonstrate that they warrant some adjusting. What's nice is that if we experience injury on the first unit, we have VL and Streit ready to step in to cover just about any of the elements.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I will say though, I feel bad that Couts and Schenn wouldn't be able to get consistent PP time.

If they earn the opportunity, there's room for both. They just won't be christened with the opportunity until they make the case with Lavi during camp or through strength of play during the season. If Couturier gets beat out by Gus for PP time, then he really doesn't deserve it imho.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If they earn the opportunity, there's room for both. They just won't be christened with the opportunity until they make the case with Lavi during camp or through strength of play during the season. If Couturier gets beat out by Gus for PP time, then he really doesn't deserve it imho.

Homer did say the reasoning for this signing was to take pressure off Couturier, Schenn, & Laughton. He wants to ease them into their roles unlike last year where they expected them to step up with bigger roles and they didn't (talking about Couturier & Schenn there).

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
While Vinny fits a need and is a good signing for the most part... I still don't see how his acquisition alone instantly makes us a playoff team. Even with Streit I'm not sure. I going to need to see more and I expect more from Holmgren since we have to shed salary.

Also, I don't know how the rumor that the Flyers asked for two 2nd rounders from Edmonton this past draft and one next draft was going to help the D corps for this year?

Finally, I thought Vinny would fit in decent with Lavi's system but Meltzer says not really in his blog post. I'm guessing b/c he's lost a step and isn't really a go-go skater anymore?

oh and not sure I want Thomas anymore..it sounds like he will be too pricey. Go for Halak...

Dustin Nielson: The Flyers initially asked the Oilers for two second round picks this year and a second next year for Braydon Coburn.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Homer did say the reasoning for this signing was to take pressure off Couturier, Schenn, & Laughton. He wants to ease them into their roles unlike last year where they expected them to step up with bigger roles and they didn't (talking about Couturier & Schenn there).

Yeah that makes sense..Vinny should be useful in that sense for a couple of years provided he is healthy.....the 3rd, 4th and 5th years we'll probably lament having him around.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
On paper maybe....there are some things I'm still not crazy about including Lavi. Also, the D needs to stay healthy and we need to see what our goaltending does.

Yeah but that could really be said about most teams (health, coaching, goaltending, etc). Think of it this way: the Flyers finished six points out of the playoffs this season and for oh, I don't know, about 80% of the season they looked God-awful in pretty much every aspect. Now the forwards look to be better, the defense better, and the goaltending AT LEAST the same but in reality should be better. Even if the better forwards, defenders, and goaltending situation aren't a huge increase, even a slight increase should easily get this team into the playoffs, even if there are injuries etc (like there were last season). Now don't confuse this with me saying the team will win the Cup, but I think to call this team anything other than a playoff team is really selling them short.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Yeah but that could really be said about most teams (health, coaching, goaltending, etc). Think of it this way: the Flyers finished six points out of the playoffs this season and for oh, I don't know, about 80% of the season they looked God-awful in pretty much every aspect. Now the forwards look to be better, the defense better, and the goaltending AT LEAST the same but in reality should be better. Even the better forwards, defenders, and goaltending situation aren't a huge increase, even a slight increase should easily get this team into the playoffs, even if there are injuries etc (like there were last season). Now don't confuse this with me saying the team will win the Cup, but I think to call this team anything other than a playoff team is really selling them short.

You also have to compare them to the competition...not just look at them in a vacuum. I don't know ...I would like to think they are a playoff team too but in this league with so much parity a lot of things have to go right. We shall see. I'm going to reserve judgement until camp and the roster is set...

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Reading Montreal's fans reaction to this is priceless. If their team had signed him to these same terms, it would have been lauded over. But of course since the Flyers did it, ''HORRIBLE DEAL. HOLMGREN IS AN IDIOT!!! THEY'RE IN CAP TROUBLE. PHILLY SUCKS LOLOLOLOLOL''

I love it :laugh:

They can eat my shorts.

1. They wanted Briere, we signed him (for less :naughty:).

2. They wanted LeCavalier, we signed him.

3. The last 2 play-off series we kicked their ***** like school girls.

Of course they will hate us ... and I LOVE it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad