Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Are you a Pens fan?

Because only Penguins fans (well and bitter kids on the main boards) have been jamming that down our throats for the past few weeks.

The truth is that our defense really was never that bad. It needed some minor tweaking to get everyone back into place, but it was never bad. Streit adds a lot of mobility and puts Coburn back in a role he can excel in.

Gustafsson's addition also improves us significantly.

So on last year's defense we've added 2 mobile PMDs who are likely comfortable logging 20 minutes a night if need be.

I don't know how we haven't improved our defense...

Well from what I watched the team didn't play defense either. Now maybe that'll change because of the mobility of the new additions Gus/Streit will help, god I hope so, but lets not act like this team was stout on D. Granted, no Gross & Coburn didn't help.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
The doom and gloom around here is so depressing. This coupled with the weeks long rain make me wanna blow my brains out with Nirvana blaring behind me.

Schenn and Couturier aren't being moved for peanuts. If they are moved we will get a ton back. As I'm saying about Coburn we don't have to make the trades. Overpay or walk away. Team looks decent as is. They can contend for a top 8 spot while growing. Let Schenn learn his spot on Cavy's wing. Let Couturier continue to learn how to be a shutdown NHL center with less pressure. I feel good about our situation.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Headline should be: "GM Holmgren upgrades from Hobbit to Aragorn."

Just three more steps to be a force for the playoffs:
  • Land Thomas or another low-cost, potentially high-upside goaltender
  • Deal Meszaros for a mid-round pick / Coburn for an impressive, low-salary return
  • Fill a large bathtub with unicorn blood so Pronger can soak awhile and recover fully into the 1D this team needs

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Well from what I watched the team didn't play defense either. Now maybe that'll change because of the mobility of the new additions Gus/Streit will help, god I hope so, but lets not act like this team was stout on D. Granted, no Gross & Coburn didn't help.

1. We were hurt.
2. We were poorly constructed for Lavi's system.
3. Bryzgalov made our defense look much worse than it actually was.

So yeah, all three things considered, our defense should be much better this season as long as we stay healthy.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Headline should be: "GM Holmgren upgrades from Hobbit to Aragorn."

Just three more steps to be a force for the playoffs:
  • Land Thomas or another low-cost, potentially high-upside goaltender
  • Deal Meszaros for a mid-round pick / Coburn for an impressive, low-salary return
  • Fill a large bathtub with unicorn blood so Pronger can soak awhile and recover fully into the 1D this team needs

:biglaugh:

Let me make it very clear that I am on board with your three-step plan.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
1. We were hurt.

So yeah, all three things considered, our defense should be much better this season as long as we stay healthy.

Health...always the key word.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
1. We were hurt.

#3 can't be stressed enough. When you duck away from shots....

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Wow...just started reading the Habs thread. Favorite so far:

My favorite is the one talking about how Vinny should have remained in FL and played for the Habs. Sure it would have been tough on him and his family, but it would have shown his desire to play for the Habs. Since he didn't do that, he lacks character and Montreal's GM knew this, which is why the Habs were never really interested in him to begin with.

RJ8812*

I love how the moment Lecavalier was bought out, Habs fans instantly "knew" he was signing with them. After that doesn't happen they proceed to trash him, saying that he's terrible and they didn't want him anyways.

Contract is good. People crying about the NMC just don't get it. He's done enough in his career to get one, so who cares? What's waiving him going to do anyways, free up $900k?

RJ8812*

1. We were hurt.

No way! It was our defense that made Bryzgalov look much worse than he actually was!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm just saying, he played on a wing with Giroux and was atrocious. Just temper your hopes with lets move a guy that's played center his whole life to a position he doesn't play and expect him to develop well.

How many times was this tried with Carter and failed terribly?

Carter plays on the wing in LA and does OK with scoring goals.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Another good one from the Habs forum talking about how Vinny is a coward and only went to Philly because of the lower taxes and the fact that the media and fans don't care about hockey here so he can go out and party and be a primadonna and no one will care. Idk about taxes in Montreal, so they may have a point about that. But as far as the media and fans are concerned...if VL thinks he will be an anonymous face in the crowd by coming to Philly, he will be sorely mistaken. It will be less than it would be in MTL, for sure, but the Philly media is definitely one of the toughest to deal with in the NHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why would we rest well? Why is Couturier so untouchable if the right deal comes across. This team still DESPERATELY needs better defense. I don't care if they trade anybody if the team gets better.

He's our best defensive forward. Trading him makes the defense worse unless you get a stud defenseman back which you will not get for Couturier straight up. How many times do people need to be told this before they get the message?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Another good one from the Habs forum talking about how Vinny is a coward and only went to Philly because of the lower taxes and the fact that the media and fans don't care about hockey here so he can go out and party and be a primadonna and no one will care. Idk about taxes in Montreal, so they may have a point about that. But as far as the media and fans are concerned...if VL thinks he will be an anonymous face in the crowd by coming to Philly, he will be sorely mistaken. It will be less than it would be in MTL, for sure, but the Philly media is definitely one of the toughest to deal with in the NHL.

Philly vs Montreal for Media/Fans, yea Montreal wins, but its not like Philly is Phoenix.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
1. We were hurt.

That last part has been the biggest issue sans BUM.

Its also the biggest wildcard.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
God, it makes me happy when I point things out and then Meltzer just reiterates them on his blog the next day.

It let's me know that I'm doing things right after I do them.

This is also really important. Meltzer obviously has more ties to the organization. So while I pretty much guessed that this guaranteed Schenn was a winger (not that one of the young guys was getting moved), Meltzer's word here should cement that theory. He's probably got actual sources from the organization to confirm that.

Rest well everyone. Schenn and Couturier aren't getting moved.

:clap:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He's our best defensive forward. Trading him makes the defense worse unless you get a stud defenseman back which you will not get for Couturier straight up. How many times do people need to be told this before they get the message?

I don't think he's the best defensive forward, at least right now. He can be, he's showed a lot of promise. Last year was such a massively huge step backwards. This year will be interesting to see how he rebounds.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ

I pissed myself. Lawl.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think he's the best defensive forward, at least right now. He can be, he's showed a lot of promise. Last year was such a massively huge step backwards. This year will be interesting to see how he rebounds.

Who's better than Couturier to play 3C on this team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad