Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
I don't know if there is anything to it but i'd be interested to hear from a lightning fan, what impact Steve Stamkos has had on the "decline" of Vinny...if any? (Meaning is Stamkos getting more ice time and more responsibility) or is it just health and age

Last edited:

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Gotta think Schenn or Couturier isn't playing in Flyers orange this year.

I don't understand why people keep saying that. Lecavalier doesn't change anything regarding Schenn and especially Couturier. Not saying it wot happen, just don't understand why it is assumed a guy who has played a wing already in the NHL and the 3rd line center are moved because the Flyers brought in a 2nd line center.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Schenn played wing and was awful last year, everybody wanted him gone. He didn't turn it around until he played C and was given two wingers.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Schenn's not a winger, he played like crap on the wing. He's a C. Flyers need to stop making players play out of position.

Schenn's extremely brief stint on the outside was on the side he doesn't like playing at the beginning of the season for a short period of time to see if he could replace Jagr. It also happened to coincide with the early-season injury bug that hit us pretty hard, and the fact that we couldn't score. He also had no real training camp to work himself out in this role.

Schenn has played wing before with success.

Give him an offseason to work on it, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Generally the kind of centers that have a problem moving to the wing are possession centers like Giroux and Briere. These are the guys whose numbers fall because on the wing you're in control of the puck less. So centers that are used to racking up points by possessing the puck are going to see their numbers fall.

Schenn isn't really a possession center.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Schenn played wing and was awful last year, everybody wanted him gone. He didn't turn it around until he played C and was given two wingers.

He played wing for what 2,3 games last year. Huge sample size. He did well in the playoffs and towards the end of the year in his rookie season as a left wing.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm just saying, he played on a wing with Giroux and was atrocious. Just temper your hopes with lets move a guy that's played center his whole life to a position he doesn't play and expect him to develop well.

How many times was this tried with Carter and failed terribly?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Also besides the two weeks Schenn played with Voracek, he wasn't really all that more productive at center last year. He had 12 pts in 9 games centering Voracek between Feb 9 and Feb 23. The rest of the season only 14 pts in 38 games.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4685/gamelog;_ylt=AjJrv0rftCMSfaXmo_2WIfRivLYF

Rookie year at wing: 18 pts in 54 games for an average of .33 pts per game.
Without Voracek at center: 14 pts in 38 games for an average of .37 pts per game.

So much better at center.

Last edited:

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I'm just saying, he played on a wing with Giroux and was atrocious. Just temper your hopes with lets move a guy that's played center his whole life to a position he doesn't play and expect him to develop well.

How many times was this tried with Carter and failed terribly?

Carter is apparently a fantastic winger for LA right now by the way.

Also, Schenn has played a lot of wing in his career; in the CHL, in international play, a bit in the AHL, and limited time in the NHL.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
But lets not act like Couturier isn't extremely available now for a trade if the right door opens.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA

God, it makes me happy when I point things out and then Meltzer just reiterates them on his blog the next day.

It let's me know that I'm doing things right after I do them.

This is also really important. Meltzer obviously has more ties to the organization. So while I pretty much guessed that this guaranteed Schenn was a winger (not that one of the young guys was getting moved), Meltzer's word here should cement that theory. He's probably got actual sources from the organization to confirm that.

Rest well everyone. Schenn and Couturier aren't getting moved.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
But lets not act like Couturier isn't extremely available now for a trade if the right door opens.

Actually...

Everyone is available now for a trade if the right door opens.

That right door is Pietrangelo or Weber or Suter or Bogosian or OEL or Doughty or Fowler...

And since those doors aren't going to open, Couturier isn't available.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Why would we rest well? Why is Couturier so untouchable if the right deal comes across. This team still DESPERATELY needs better defense. I don't care if they trade anybody if the team gets better.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Why would we rest well? Why is Couturier so untouchable if the right deal comes across. This team still DESPERATELY needs better defense. I don't care if they trade anybody if the team gets better.

Are you a Pens fan?

Because only Penguins fans (well and bitter kids on the main boards) have been jamming that down our throats for the past few weeks.

The truth is that our defense really was never that bad. It needed some minor tweaking to get everyone back into place, but it was never bad. Streit adds a lot of mobility and puts Coburn back in a role he can excel in.

Gustafsson's addition also improves us significantly.

So on last year's defense we've added 2 mobile PMDs who are likely comfortable logging 20 minutes a night if need be.

I don't know how we haven't improved our defense...

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany

Let's not act like you know anything about this team.

I wouldn't be opposed to try Lecavalier next so Giroux and give Schenn a try with Voracek.

Hartnell - G - Lecavalier
Simmonds - Schenn - Voracek

In my circles I was seeing that. It was the wrong opinion obviously, but I saw plenty of impatient people.

Try different circles then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad