Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
********. Free agency is every day. I WANT TO SEE MORE SIGNINGS AND TRADES AND BUYOUTS AND WAIVERS AND DRAFTS.

We didn't really get our mandatory NCAA prospect this year did we?

Raffl, Straka, Alderson...

Nevermind Flanagan.

We also got Lamarche and basically Alt.

Signed Vinny and Streit...

Now just a goalie.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Bryz looked terrible when it came down to odd man rushes, and screens. Literally one of the worst goalies I have seen on either. Essentially, for Bryz to be adequate, he needs clear shots from the blue line or side boards. Anything else and he is ****ed. That doesn't sound like a starting goalie in any league, at least not one I would want to throw money at.

Meltzer noted he was bad 1 on 1 with shooters and not particularly good with shots from the top of the circle if I remember correctly.

Obviously he was bad with the puck which didn't help our D situation (take pressure off the D men and aid in the transition) and as far as the excuses for deflections and screen shots..the dude seemed to have the neck reflexes/extension of Barry Trotz and he wasn't always square to the shooter to even have a chance at possibly getting a piece of the puck. He was better last year than in his first year with mobility and tracking the puck but inconsistent with it.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Jeesh...same with Einstein.

I have to get my mind in stat mode to get the gist of this...

Basically Fenwick* is how many shots you take minus how many you give up. So it's like goal, or run differential, or +/-. As your differential goes up the amount of scoring chances you get increases. It makes sense because if you have a high differential you're most likely playing better than your opponent, and getting more chances.

So basically your quality of shots/scoring chances is a derivative of your shot +/-. We all know there's games where the one team has like 40 shots but 20 are from the point, but that evens out over time.

So you can pretty much gauge the quality of shots a team faced by going by their shot differential over the course of a season. The Flyers had an average number of shots, and allowed about an average number of shots, so you can say Bryz saw around league average quality shots/scoring chances. Now that's not 100% true because the shortened season will probably throw some variance in there.

*Hockey needs a site like Fangraphs, and they need to rename all these stats to something useful

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
I'll admit it was nice to see Mason handle the puck back there.
With as much blame as you can throw at Bryz you have to wonder the scale of the effect it has on the rest of the team, especially the D, knowing that one mistake is likely to prove so costly.

Mason could probably have been spectacular by simply being good if you know what I mean. The D make a mistake, he makes the save and then instead of being 'urgh not again', psychologically everyone has a jump in their step and start to eliminate some of the mistakes. Mason just has to play better than rubbish and the effects spiral throughout the team.

So long as the team don't think 'it was all Bryzgalovs fault' we should be fine this year even if Mason is the starter (with a decent other keeper at as well).

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Hey hockey freaks... I'm looking for info on who Vinny's linemates were the last little while and how much time spent playing with each guy.

I've googled with no success and can't find anything.

Is there a site with this sort of breakdown? (sure there is, just bad googling)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would be curious to see these "analytics.."

I'm trying to keep an open mind..sounds plausible. I mean I'm not Bryz's biggest fan and he did make too many excuses. I guess I have trouble just pinning something on one factor even if it is a considerable one and seems legit on it's face...

I cannot find it... looked for a good while but cannot remember what thread it was in.

It was at the time kind of saying how temperamental SV% is, and how one goal every few games can affect it massively over the season.

It basically projected how many extra saves Bryz needed to make per year to 'satisfy' our fanbase in terms of his stats, and if he had got those stats would we have made the playoffs. (I think I set our 'satisfied' SV% at .916-9.18.)

I cannot even remember what I actually did, but it compared SV% to GA per year and GF per year (team, not GAA) to show the difference between 0.1% in SV% and how many goals per year that equates to, and then looked at the average +/- in goal difference and how it equates to points, (I remember I did this over a few different seasons across the NHL to get a 'proper' average) and how much bigger a SV% would have been needed to make the playoffs, and therefore kind of the 'average' number of extra saves Bryz would have needed to make for us to get in the playoffs.

At least that is 'kind of' what it was, maybe more or less convoluted, I just can't remember!

At the time it was not really for or against Bryz, just showed how what could be considered 'fine' margins can change so much, and how an extra goal allowed every 5-7 games (it was about that) affect SV% and how that affects points for the team.

It did not relate to why his SV% was low, just where we would be if it was what we expected. But it did show if Bryz had his 'expected' SV% we would have been in the playoffs. (I think!)

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks man.. other than playing with STL only 38% of the time, he played with garbage. As I expected.

He'll have better linemates here. That's guaranteed.

Tampa might be headed into another tank season though.

People thought our defense was bad when it really wasn't. I shudder to think how those same people view Tampa's.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He'll have better linemates here. That's guaranteed.

Tampa might be headed into another tank season though.

People thought our defense was bad when it really wasn't. I shudder to think how those same people view Tampa's.

I really think they are gonig to regret not drafting jones. How much better is drouin going to make Stamkos? I understand he is a MSL replacement but to me that is a lateral move ,

You Have jones and Hedman you dont even need a third pairing (kidding but those studs could play 25 min each)

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
1. We were hurt.
2. We were poorly constructed for Lavi's system.
3. Bryzgalov made our defense look much worse than it actually was.

So yeah, all three things considered, our defense should be much better this season as long as we stay healthy.

Our defense was healthy at the beginning of the year and Bryz was our best player keeping us in games, so I am concerned with our defence and we defiantly need them to stay healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad