Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
:laugh:. I lived in Williamsport for 5 years for school, I got used to Sheetz. For what Wawa offers, they are definitely superior than any other place I've been.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Basically Fenwick* is how many shots you take minus how many you give up. So it's like goal, or run differential, or +/-. As your differential goes up the amount of scoring chances you get increases. It makes sense because if you have a high differential you're most likely playing better than your opponent, and getting more chances.

So basically your quality of shots/scoring chances is a derivative of your shot +/-. We all know there's games where the one team has like 40 shots but 20 are from the point, but that evens out over time.

So you can pretty much gauge the quality of shots a team faced by going by their shot differential over the course of a season. The Flyers had an average number of shots, and allowed about an average number of shots, so you can say Bryz saw around league average quality shots/scoring chances. Now that's not 100% true because the shortened season will probably throw some variance in there.

*Hockey needs a site like Fangraphs, and they need to rename all these stats to something useful
I disagree. Marginalizing scoring chances to an average is inherently flawed IMO. Much like shots, scoring chances are also not created equal.

Over a career, maybe thats enough attempts to marginalize, but even a season for me is not enough.

I hear from enough hockey coaches, players, ect saying things like "we can't give up the opportunity from there, or chances like that, ect". This tells me that there is more to the story.

Now, I can see Fenwick being an indicator for how good of a puck possession game you play....

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
We've been over this many times in the Bryz thread. There is a strong correlation between scoring chances and shots allowed. There isn't some weird fluke where teams that are limiting shots are allowing more high quality shots than other teams. Bryz simply sucked.
Can you statistically say that concretely, or just point to correlations and anecdotal evidence?

I'm not remotely saying its not true...I'm just saying without having stats that isolate HQ shots, ect I don't see how you can explicitly ISOLATE the goalie.

I do think Bryz could have played better, but so could alot of the 5v5 team defense....and EITHER would have drastically improved SV %.

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
WaWa's cheese & pepperoni in a cup is better than anyone else's C & P in a cup.

When I finally make it out,got to see what this WaWa is all about. Hoping for Flyers game during Eagles games in Oct. Flyers Thurs , Sat and Eagle Sunday. This year is the year.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I disagree. Marginalizing scoring chances to an average is inherently flawed IMO. Much like shots, scoring chances are also not created equal.

Over a career, maybe thats enough attempts to marginalize, but even a season for me is not enough.

I hear from enough hockey coaches, players, ect saying things like "we can't give up the opportunity from there, or chances like that, ect". This tells me that there is more to the story.

Now, I can see Fenwick being an indicator for how good of a puck possession game you play....

That's certainly true that all shots are not created equal. Clearly a breakaway and a rink long attempt to beat the buzzer are going to have wild statistical difference in save %.

To me, it's almost impossible to differentiate, however, unless you do a shot chart like they do in the NBA where you divide the ice into zones, track shots from those zones and measure shots that get blocked, re-directed, etc. It would take a serious analysis to do and it's certainly not being done to my knowledge now, but it would certainly be interesting to know.

For example, last year, it felt like we got killed in the center of the ice at 15-25' out from the net. The turnovers and shots from those regions seemed to have gotten buried whenever they occurred. Was this gut feeling accurate or just the a case of mind over reality.

TL:DR - I think some of the advanced shot statistics correlated to goaltender would be interesting in ascertaining the strength of various goaltenders and how better to deploy your defensive assets to better cover the high percentage scoring opportunities.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
When I finally make it out,got to see what this WaWa is all about. Hoping for Flyers game during Eagles games in Oct. Flyers Thurs , Sat and Eagle Sunday. This year is the year.

Honestly, the WaWa Italian Hoagie is surprisingly under-rated imo. Combo of a little mayo and a little oil? Legit. Paired with the Jalapeno cheese stuffed pretzel.... God. I live in the DC area and the closest WaWa is near where I grew up on the Delaware border. Miss it so much haha

potsiev2

Jul 4, 2011
Delaware

don't expect to be blown away... however, once you live with it your whole life it's hard to imagine not having one.... it's convenient and it has very good hoagies/subs/sandwiches

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
don't expect to be blown away... however, once you live with it your whole life it's hard to imagine not having one.... it's convenient and it has very good hoagies/subs/sandwiches

Whats the Canadian equivalent. A fancier 7/11 ?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Can you statistically say that concretely, or just point to correlations and anecdotal evidence?

I'm not remotely saying its not true...I'm just saying without having stats that isolate HQ shots, ect I don't see how you can explicitly ISOLATE the goalie.

I do think Bryz could have played better, but so could alot of the 5v5 team defense....and EITHER would have drastically improved SV %.

Some writer got a bunch of scoring chance info for a bunch of games (I think for the Oilers? Maybe the Stars? As well as their opponents) from organizations and media outlets...since it's an unofficial stat, they're the only ones who track it. Apparently the high quality scoring chance area is mostly accepted as being basically the circles and the slot. He found a correlation between shots allowed and scoring chances allowed; in general, the team that was shooting more was getting more scoring chances, and the team doing a better job of limiting shots allowed fewer scoring chances.

In general, basic research (I think there's like, 3 articles on this) has shown this. Nobody has found a case of a team good at limiting shots that also allows a comparatively high amount of scoring chances.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yup, it's basically like a high end 7/11. Although I do enjoy their premade breakfast sandwiches and the breaded buffalo chicken sandwich. It's very conveniant if you're on the go in the morning or looking for a mid night snack.

There's so many good resturants and food places in Philly that I would be looking for if I was visiting. I would start out with the Reading Terminal or one of the steak shops not named Geno's or Pat's.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Reading terminal is not really a quality dining experience. Sure some good quick meals, but there are many places I would rather dine. Although I like pat's, I like most peoples Italian pork sammiches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad