Confirmed with Link: Vincent Trocheck signs $5.625 x 7

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He’s the type of player that can be moved after 4 years if need be, he’ll always be great on draws. The cap hit is what matters

Pretty sure they’re still fully invested in Kane here, at 50% they can bring him in still with panarin and trochek, do we need it? Probably not
I’ll worry about Kane when he gets here at the deadline.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Love this. Cap will rise a lot in a few years anyways. Will this contract ever be a steal? Who knows? I don’t think so. But at least it should be moveable in 4-5 years.

AND we didn’t overpay for products of Panarin in Strome and to a lesser extent Copp. Drury knows what he’s doing.

bogans

Mar 24, 2007
Philly
I would have preferred Malkin for 3 years BUT this shows Drury understands the assignment. I say that despite not liking Troschek deal past 3-4 years. Drury understands we still need much more toughness in our top 6, more inside the hashmark players, more faceoff wins and better defense. Still he was my 4th choice. I do not blame Drury. His hands are kind of tied by our cap. I do prefer him over Strome and Copp.
Exactly what matters to Drury is the next 3 - 4 years when our team is looking to win a cup with our top guys like Shesty, Zib, and Fox in their primes. Great deal imo!

Reactions: NickyFotiu

bogans

Mar 24, 2007
Philly
barf. not better than strome. was the extra year or two really worth not going up 400k for copp? bleh
Yes, he's a center, Copp is not. At least according to the Rangers. We can debate whether he is a center, but that is not how Drury saw him.

Also, surprised that people are saying he stunk against the Rangers in their playoff series. I thought he was the #1 pest that was really killing the Rangers on the faceoffs and forecheck. Aho even disappeared toward the end mostly except on the rush, but Trocheck was super annoying. Looking forward to him annoying other teams!

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
In retrospect, trading for Copp was really dumb. It was a lot of assets to rent a winger when we needed a center.

Was Copp a difference maker in us advancing, versus keeping Lafreniere in the top six on a red hot line? Probably not. Could we have gotten a wing cheaper if we wanted a wing? Probably yes.

At the very least, we need better communication between front office and coach in the future. We clearly paid 2C price to get a RW.
It's almost always dumb to trade significant assets for a player at the deadline. I mean how often does it work out? Did we make the ECF because of Copp? And what trophy do they award for making the ECF? I wouldn't have made the deal (structured that way) but I'm not the GM. I would have much preferred the contingent 1st rounder was triggered only if he re-signed with us.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Drury had to go 7 to get the hit down. It's jarring but im not too concerned about contract lengths. They usually get sorted out one way or another.

He is an upgrade over Strome and Copp. If you were going to sign either of them for the same hit, which the other two were rumored to get (and what Copp got in Detroit), you could've had a better player in Trocheck instead that fits the direction this team needs to go in.

He's got more speed than both Copp and Strome
He's better defensively than both Copp and Strome
He's a true center, unlike Copp who is more of an army knife (I think Gallant noticed this quickly)
He can win faceoffs, unlike Strome
He's extremely effective on the PK, better than both Copp and Strome (Car had the best PK in the league and they went like 30 games without a goal against with Trocheck on the ice last season)
He's better on the forecheck and suits Gallants game better than Copp and Strome (and hes played for Gallant already)
He plays a grittier more physical game than both Copp and Strome
He plays on the PP so he replaces Stromes RH shot there which imo was important. He can go into the bumper spot.
He's a better goal scorer than both Copp and Strome

He can put in all situations and he checks off all of the boxes if you were going to commit to signing a 2c through free agency. There was a reason why his name was above Strome and Copp on the available lists

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
5.6m is not bad at all. In the short term, I'm a fan. Better than overpaying for Copp or destroying our cap on another FA.

But 7 years is way too long. But he never would have bit on a 4 year deal with that average. Better not have a NMC attached.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Copp costed the same! Trocheck is significantly better. Good deal IMO. Trocheck is a nice piece
Liked him bunches with Florida, seen enough of him to know he is "feisty" and has a solid shoot 1st mentality which we need more of.
NYR's gain, is ALSO Hurricane's loss. That's a good thing. Lost Smitty as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad