Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Campbell had a bad game too. He's also barely an AHL-calibre goaltender.

I probably exaggerated my previous statement, Allen certainly wasn't the sole reason that Canada lost. I agree that both defenses were awful in that game. My point was more regarding Allen cracking under pressure. Let's face it, that 5th goal fumble was on him. I don't buy that he was rattled from his porous defense. He fumbled that because he's mentally weak and let the pressure get to him. Just look at his playoff numbers dating back to the AHL, simply not up to par.

I want Allen to succeed, but his history when it comes to important games does not inspire any confidence in me.
I am not trying to say that Allen was good that game or that he performs well on the big stage. Rather, that one game isn't reflective of him wetting the bed in the big stage. His team failed in a big way. Putting that loss on Allen just doesn't make sense. If his defense showed up for as little as a period, they would have won.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
How do you figure? Allen was great in Juniors and internationally. Also goalies progress at different rates, so judging development by birthdate isn't the best way of comparing paths or determining how much a player should be entitled to...

Entitled to? This isn't about entitlement, it is about the Blues doing their best to make sure that their prospects have the best chance to be the best player they can be. It is in the organisations interests. That doesn't mean babying them. I wouldn't be too bothered if Husso had went through the CHL system, but we're asking a blue chip goalie prospect to make the adjustments to the NA game with pretty minimal help. I don't see how that is in anyones interests.

All players develop at different rates, and we are happy enough to rate how they are at 18. Husso showed far more last season than Binnington or Allen showed at the same age. Part of that was opportunity, part of it was a solid playoff performance... somewhere Allen has never shined, at any level.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I am not trying to say that Allen was good that game or that he performs well on the big stage. Rather, that one game isn't reflective of him wetting the bed in the big stage. His team failed in a big way. Putting that loss on Allen just doesn't make sense. If his defense showed up for as little as a period, they would have won.

Canada as a team completely lost their composure in that game. Allen included. But I didn't think his performance there stood out as any worse than the rest of the gong show that was going on. It made for one hell of an entertaining game to watch, but I think a game like that is probably hell for a coach to sit through.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah looking back now, that was unfair of me to pin the loss solely on Allen.

I still stand by my opinion that Allen cracks in high pressure games. Despite the lack of defense by Canada, the 5th goal is mainly on Allen for being unable to handle the puck. I also thought the first goal by Kreider was one he should have had. His history in the playoffs also indicates that he just isn't cut out for those moments. Some of those goals he allowed in the Wild series were just awful. His last season in the AHL, Allen put up career numbers in the regular season but turned into a sieve in the playoffs. Until Jake puts up a solid performance in a playoff series i will always doubt his ability to show up when it matters.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah looking back now, that was unfair of me to pin the loss solely on Allen.

I still stand by my opinion that Allen cracks in high pressure games. Despite the lack of defense by Canada, the 5th goal is mainly on Allen for being unable to handle the puck. I also thought the first goal by Kreider was one he should have had. His history in the playoffs also indicates that he just isn't cut out for those moments. Some of those goals he allowed in the Wild series were just awful. His last season in the AHL, Allen put up career numbers in the regular season but turned into a sieve in the playoffs. Until Jake puts up a solid performance in a playoff series i will always doubt his ability to show up when it matters.
Like I said I am not disputing that he shows up in big games. That has always been a concern of mine.

I think he could turn it around there if he works with a sports psychologist and works on better positioning.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Hoping Husso becomes our guy in the future. I've seen a couple of articles with quotes of Hitchcock talking about Allen being "the guy" now. We've all noticed that he's been riding Allen hard in games. He's been left in for longer than he would have used to before getting pulled, and he's been put right back in the next game after a poor performance in the previous game. I think this will go a long way towards his "mindset" as he's always been paired with another legitimate goalie that, in the back of his mind, he knew was there to bail him out. I'm willing to give him a couple of seasons to figure it out, but I think this will strengthen him and we won't have to wait that long to see the results. It has to be a big transition for a young player to be thrown into the # 1 spot after going through his whole career as a duo goalie.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hoping Husso becomes our guy in the future. I've seen a couple of articles with quotes of Hitchcock talking about Allen being "the guy" now. We've all noticed that he's been riding Allen hard in games. He's been left in for longer than he would have used to before getting pulled, and he's been put right back in the next game after a poor performance in the previous game. I think this will go a long way towards his "mindset" as he's always been paired with another legitimate goalie that, in the back of his mind, he knew was there to bail him out. I'm willing to give him a couple of seasons to figure it out, but I think this will strengthen him and we won't have to wait that long to see the results. It has to be a big transition for a young player to be thrown into the # 1 spot after going through his whole career as a duo goalie.

Bolded: What that has to do with Husso and this thread?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Bolded: What that has to do with Husso and this thread?

The thread may have gotten a little off topic, but If you'll look at the last page of posts there are several that don't even mention Husso. Not sure why you singled me out as not being on topic.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Husso fantasy owner coming in peace haha, looks like he was called up to Chicago as per Elite Prospects. Are one of the other guys hurt?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Husso fantasy owner coming in peace haha, looks like he was called up to Chicago as per Elite Prospects. Are one of the other guys hurt?

Allen shouldn't be injured, tho he was banged up last game against Tampa, but was noted he was ok after game.

I'm not sure Binnington/Copley duo anything. Last thing is we might see trade, 'cus I doubt we'll run three goaltenders on Chicago?

edit.

Last edited:

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

Hopefully Husso's ready to go in a few years. Allen's all we got left. It's not like we're going to run Hutton out there every couple games. Allen's the starter by default now, so for better or worse, he's playing more and more no matter what. It's like when Brewer was our #1 defenseman.

Really hoping we see a trade here after the new year and move one of our AHL guys to clear room for Husso.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Hopefully Husso's ready to go in a few years. Allen's all we got left. It's not like we're going to run Hutton out there every couple games. Allen's the starter by default now, so for better or worse, he's playing more and more no matter what. It's like when Brewer was our #1 defenseman.

Really hoping we see a trade here after the new year and move one of our AHL guys to clear room for Husso.

Allen is a good goalie. We are better off than 2/3 of the league. Imagine paying the money that Dallas is paying their goalies for their output.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So they call-up Husso in Chicago to sit on bench?

http://theahl.com/game-summary?game_id=1016324

If he doesn't get icetime 28th day I'm done with this team.

248e7a6f42706af8565349b73b2e89a2.gif

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So they call-up Husso in Chicago to sit on bench?

http://theahl.com/game-summary?game_id=1016324

248e7a6f42706af8565349b73b2e89a2.gif

If he doesn't get icetime 28th day I'm done with this team.

I don't know why you expected him to play, Wolves picked Copely and Bennington at the beginning of the year, they needed a backup for the game so they called up Husso, and Husso is prob going to get sent back down before tomorrows game.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't know why you expected him to play, Wolves picked Copely and Bennington at the beginning of the year, they needed a backup for the game so they called up Husso, and Husso is prob going to get sent back down before tomorrows game.

They can throw in Ty Conklin if they need guy who can warm bench.

Yes, calling Husso up to sit on the bench was exactly the plan.

Put hin sit on bus on xmas and wasted potential icetime on Mav's. :shakehead

I thought you wanted him to come work with the goalie coach? Maybe that is the main purpose. But there are still 3 guys and 2 spots.

I doubt he'll get any goaltender coach at that time, Conklin is getting hammered xmas time. Yeah lets hope somebody will shoot the puck on training so he'll get some warm-up.

Only positive is he'll see his buddies Lindbohm and maybe some Wolves teammates and share how ****** circumstances on Mav's.

I'll add this hole case with having three goaltenders is horrendous job by Army. Awful. Army info him he won't be ECHL long time so they call him for sitting one game on bench and them throw back to beer league.

"I told you wont be there long time". :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
They can throw in Ty Conklin if they need guy who can warm bench.

Put hin sit on bus on xmas and wasted potential icetime on Mav's. :shakehead

I doubt he'll get any goaltender coach at that time, Conklin is getting hammered xmas time. Yeah lets hope somebody will shoot the puck on training so he'll get some warm-up.

Only positive is he'll see his buddies Lindbohm and maybe some Wolves teammates and share how ****** circumstances on Mav's.

I'll add this hole case with having three goaltenders is horrendous job by Army. Awful. Army info him he won't be ECHL long time so they call him for sitting one game on bench and them throw back to beer league.

"I told you wont be there long time". :popcorn:

I would much rather have a actual backup goalie than a old man who used to play backing up, especially if Copely got hurt.

Mavs don't play until tonight so he didn't waste any ice time at all going to Chicago.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Allen is a good goalie. We are better off than 2/3 of the league. Imagine paying the money that Dallas is paying their goalies for their output.

Allen's not a top 10 goalie in anything but team related stats like wins. If he was on a worse team, like Elliott, it'd be more obvious.

I'm not surprised Husso didn't play, Binnington only missed one game so it was unlikely he'd start barring Copley being unable to go.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Allen's not a top 10 goalie in anything but team related stats like wins. If he was on a worse team, like Elliott, it'd be more obvious.

I'm not surprised Husso didn't play, Binnington only missed one game so it was unlikely he'd start barring Copley being unable to go.

Exactly this. Although Allen and Elliott have very different styles and strengths and weaknesses are almost opposite of each other, their overall numbers with The Blues stayed fairly close. If Allen were playing for Calgary, he'd probably have similar numbers and a similar win/loss record to what Elliott has now.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Exactly this. Although Allen and Elliott have very different styles and strengths and weaknesses are almost opposite of each other, their overall numbers with The Blues stayed fairly close. If Allen were playing for Calgary, he'd probably have similar numbers and a similar win/loss record to what Elliott has now.

I think Elliott's style was more suited to us, and I think Allen would fair better in Calgary. Ells isn't a tremendous goalie, he is just one that works well in our system. We need a patient, solidly positioned goalie who makes the saves he is supposed to make. More athletic goalies tend to do better in a higher shot-count, less structured environments.

Granted, all bet's are off this season as our D has been somewhat of an enigma. Still, in general, I liked Elliott because he worked for our team. I was really afraid he'd struggle on a team that plays poor D like Calgary (I didn't envision he'd struggle this much though).

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Elliott was always more of a "shut it down" kind of goalie; he made the save, and that was it. Off to the dots you go. Allen makes a save and immediately is looking for that outlet pass, or wanting to dump it off to whichever defenseman is waiting behind the net. That can create chaos sometimes, which leads to second chances, which are then typically high-percentage or uncontested shots.

It seems to me that Elliott's style tends to be the safer bet, and it allowed our players to stay fresher to a degree. However, Allen helps, especially on shots early in a shift, break the puck out better, almost like Brodeur used to do with the Devils (although not as well, obviously). Sometimes I question Allen's "clock management," so to speak, in that he will try to do too much too late in a shift sometimes, where the best option is to just freeze the puck. But I do think that if he can continue to hone that skill, and continue to improve his ability to manage the ice from his net, he can be a great goalie.

The real question to me, given the thread we're in right now, is what kind of a goalie is Husso? I haven't watched him closely or often enough to know how "in control" is he out there, or how comfortable he is moving the puck when it's appropriate to do so. Or, conversely, whether he knows when it's best to just hang onto the puck and let the centers do their jobs at the faceoff dot.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The real question to me, given the thread we're in right now, is what kind of a goalie is Husso? I haven't watched him closely or often enough to know how "in control" is he out there, or how comfortable he is moving the puck when it's appropriate to do so. Or, conversely, whether he knows when it's best to just hang onto the puck and let the centers do their jobs at the faceoff dot.

Whatever type of goalie he is now, he is young enough that he can work on it and potentially develop that skill-set......if, you know, he had a coach to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad