Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
One of the interesting wrinkles about the goalies exposed in the draft is that each organization is required to expose a goalie with a certain amount of NHL experience. I forget what the actual number of games played is, but you can't protect your starter and expose all of your undeveloped prospects and call it a day. That's why I think there will be less movement but for these rules.

Actually, the NHL experience is only for forwards and defensemen. There is no NHL games played requirement for goalies. Teams just have to expose at least 1 goalie who is under contract or an RFA.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Real strong game for Husso tonight. 31 saves in a 2-1 shootout lose.

Wonder how long they will keep their gold piece in ECHL? They gave him word he won't be there long time. If season goes Husso is staying ECHL, I wish he would re-think after season to come back Europe or demand to break his ELC contract or trade him for prospect forward.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Wonder how long they will keep their gold piece in ECHL? They gave him word he won't be there long time. If season goes Husso is staying ECHL, I wish he would re-think after season to come back Europe or demand to break his ELC contract or trade him for prospect forward.

Whether we like it or not, he's likely down in the coast til next season

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I think Binnington or Copley get moved in a trade somewhere soon. Or Hutton stays terrible and one of them moves up. Either way, there is a logjam for goalies on the Blues and someone's gonna go soon.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

He is currently putting up worse numbers in the ECHL than Allen, Binnington and Copley are putting up in the NHL and AHL. I realize that team D plays a large role in that, but he is playing right on par with a goalie who has essentially zero NHL hopes and has worse numbers than the team's 3rd goalie.

I think Husso has the best chance to become an NHL stud among our 3 prospects, but he is 2 and 3 years younger than Copley and Binnington and is struggling in his first exposure to NA hockey. Posting a .902 in the ECHL and failing to win the starting job in that league does not put him in a very good position to complain all that much. Why isn't Allen getting the same slack that you give Husso?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He is currently putting up worse numbers in the ECHL than Allen, Binnington and Copley are putting up in the NHL and AHL. I realize that team D plays a large role in that, but he is playing right on par with a goalie who has essentially zero NHL hopes and has worse numbers than the team's 3rd goalie.

I think Husso has the best chance to become an NHL stud among our 3 prospects, but he is 2 and 3 years younger than Copley and Binnington and is struggling in his first exposure to NA hockey. Posting a .902 in the ECHL and failing to win the starting job in that league does not put him in a very good position to complain all that much. Why isn't Allen getting the same slack that you give Husso?

Allen has nothing to do with this conversation, and trying to create a comparison is pretty ridiculous.

While Ranksu might love his Finnish players a little too much, the Blues handling of the Husso situation has been terrible.

On one hand you are talking about his struggles in his first exposure to NA hockey, and on the other you are saying he isn't in a position to complain? Why ignoring the lack of support that dumping him in the ECHL has afforded him?

Husso being pushed down to the ECHL is simply an unfortunate situation. Not having a full time goalie coach with him is an organisational mistake. I'd be pretty furious with the situation if I was in Husso's position.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

There's at least a little more to the story than what his cumulative numbers would suggest. Essentially, 3 games have tanked his stats: November 11 vs Ft Wayne (6 goals on 30 shots), November 12 vs Ft Wayne (5 goals on 13 shots), and December 2nd vs Ft Wayne (6 goals on 47 shots). If you get rid of those games, his GAA drops to 2.53, and his save percentage rises to .927. I have no idea why Husso would struggle so significantly against a single particular team, but aside from playing the Komets, he's been doing quite well. We're still at the time of the year where goalie stats are susceptible to outlying performances, positive or negative, and so I would warn against being too hard on (or optimistic about) Husso based on his stat line with the Mavericks.

The only real basis of comparison we have for Husso vs Binnington/Copley are the 2 games Husso played for the Wolves at the beginning of the season. With *that* stat line in mind, he performed pretty much on-par with how Binnington/Copley have been, if not marginally better than Binnington. Then again, when Copley/Binnington were having their cups of coffee with the Blues last year, Lundstrom essentially replicated their performances and he's a legit ECHL goalie at best, so... sample sizes matter a lot.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

This is just stupid. You are comparing completely different things when comparing the numbers Allen puts up with the Blues v the numbers Binnie and Copley put up with the Wolves v. Husso with the Mavs.

#1. The Mavs defense is horrendous this year. Horrendous. Their other goalie posted a .930+ save percentage, 1.88 GAA last year, but has worse numbers this year than Husso at .900/3.04. That tells me the team is not playing well in front of them to see that big of a drop off.

#2. Husso was shell-shocked and shellacked in his first few games. In his first 4 games he gave up 16 goals in less than 180 minutes of ice time. That is going to screw with anyone's stats. Since than he has played 456.45 minutes, given up 21 goals on 281 shots for .925 and 2.76 GAA. That save % would put him top 5 in the ECHL playing in front of what is probably one of the worse defenses.

If Husso is the best chance to make something of himself as a prospect, why wouldn't we put him in the best position to do so? There are going to be some bumps as he adjusts, but he needs to be somewhere that can help him through those bumps, not leave him to do it himself and get frustrated.

Edit: I didn't realize the Komets are the ones who destroyed him as Mortiest pointed out. Very interesting. His numbers paint a rosier picture because I left one of those games in there and was just adjusting for his poor start.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Allen has nothing to do with this conversation, and trying to create a comparison is pretty ridiculous.

While Ranksu might love his Finnish players a little too much, the Blues handling of the Husso situation has been terrible.

On one hand you are talking about his struggles in his first exposure to NA hockey, and on the other you are saying he isn't in a position to complain? Why ignoring the lack of support that dumping him in the ECHL has afforded him?

Husso being pushed down to the ECHL is simply an unfortunate situation. Not having a full time goalie coach with him is an organisational mistake. I'd be pretty furious with the situation if I was in Husso's position.

Do all ECHL teams have a full time goalie coach? I rather doubt it. Conklin splits time between Chicago and Independence; not ideal maybe but it's not like he's just been given an instruction book and left to his own devices.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Do all ECHL teams have a full time goalie coach? I rather doubt it. Conklin splits time between Chicago and Independence; not ideal maybe but it's not like he's just been given an instruction book and left to his own devices.

I think the question is whether his development is more favorable or less favorable to NHL success than if he stayed in the Finnish league this year. At this point, I think its a tough question.

We thought the ECHL was a short-term situation. But as time goes on its becoming more likely that's where he's stuck for the entire season. If that's true, I don't think they should have made this move. ESPECIALLY if he is playing below expectations (or worse than he did last year in the Finnish league), he should be getting more hands on.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think the question is whether his development is more favorable or less favorable to NHL success than if he stayed in the Finnish league this year. At this point, I think its a tough question.

We thought the ECHL was a short-term situation. But as time goes on its becoming more likely that's where he's stuck for the entire season. If that's true, I don't think they should have made this move. ESPECIALLY if he is playing below expectations (or worse than he did last year in the Finnish league), he should be getting more hands on.

I know a lot of people don't really trust Army (and most of the distrust is deserved) but I expect him to move one of Copley or Binnington by the TDL as part of a package. I think he realizes that with Fitzpatrick and Opilka in the mix down the road, having 3 AHL level prospects at that position isn't really of value to the organization. You really need 2 good options at the NHL level, 2 good prospects at the AHL level and 3-4 maybes at the ECHL/junior/college level. Having 3 solid AHL level prospects just creates more problems than it can ever solve.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Splits time is not 50/50.

I'm don't care about ECHL teams coaching, I concerned about the Blues doing their best for their best prospects. Husso is a step above the likes of Allen, Binnington and Copley at the same age. We shouldn't have flirted with developmental obstacles that don't need to be there.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

There's no way you can say that for sure. He's played 12 games this season. Saying anything is for certain at this point in his career in North America is ridiculous.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Splits time is not 50/50.

I'm don't care about ECHL teams coaching, I concerned about the Blues doing their best for their best prospects. Husso is a step above the likes of Allen, Binnington and Copley at the same age. We shouldn't have flirted with developmental obstacles that don't need to be there.

How do you figure? Allen was great in Juniors and internationally. Also goalies progress at different rates, so judging development by birthdate isn't the best way of comparing paths or determining how much a player should be entitled to...

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
How do you figure? Allen was great in Juniors and internationally. Also goalies progress at different rates, so judging development by birthdate isn't the best way of comparing paths or determining how much a player should be entitled to...

Allen was the reason Canada lost in the WJC Final to USA. He choked on the biggest stage which further emphasizes the point that he's mentally weak in high-pressure situations.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Complaining wasn't the term I should have used. What I mean is that is play so far has not warranted the leverage to serve the Blues organization with an ultimatum. Ranksu is hoping that Husso demands a trade or demands that the Blues release his rights. My point is that his play hasn't warranted that. For that to be a realistic scenario, he needs to be dominating at the ECHL level. I don't love that Husso is in the ECHL, but his accomplishments thus far have not been enough to label him a gold piece that should be pandered to completely. Part of advancing in professional sports is playing well enough to force your way to the next level. That hasn't happened here (yet). I hope our logjam is resolved sooner than later. But until it is, he needs to outplay someone if he wants to get out of the ECHL. I brought up Allen, Binnington and Copley because thus far, I haven't seen any evidence that he has outplayed any of them this year.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
There's no way you can say that for sure. He's played 12 games this season. Saying anything is for certain at this point in his career in North America is ridiculous.

No, I think its fair to say that the chances to move one of Copley or Binnington get smaller as the season goes along. As do the chances of a Shattenkirk trade one of them may be attached to. The incentive of a team to trade for an AHL goalie are at the beginning of the year, or as part of a larger deal. But who needs that move alone mid-season?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
No, I think its fair to say that the chances to move one of Copley or Binnington get smaller as the season goes along. As do the chances of a Shattenkirk trade one of them may be attached to. The incentive of a team to trade for an AHL goalie are at the beginning of the year, or as part of a larger deal. But who needs that move alone mid-season?

A trade is not the only scenario in which Husso moves back to Chicago. If an injury happens to any of Allen, Hutton, Copley, or Binnington, Husso ends up in a Wolves jersey again.

Shattenkirk could be moved at any time in between now and Feb 28th. And the chances would likely increase the closer we get to that deadline, and teams have a better idea of the playoff picture and where they are and whether or not a player like Shattenkirk would improve their chances. But I would be surprised to see any goalies moved in a trade like that, unless it's to balance the number of contracts we carry (like including Pochiro in the Yakupov trade).

What I don't understand is why people want to make a move purely to accommodate Husso. Why would you voluntarily trade away goalie depth, especially depth as serviceable as Copley/Binnington, just to see what would happen with another prospect that may or may not realize his potential one day? And all of that based on 14 games in North America? People rag on Armstrong a lot for asset management, but I'm glad he hasn't done anything as foolish as that. I mean, if this was Niklas Lundstrom, yeah we'd have a problem, but Copley and Binnington are both legit prospects we're talking about here.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Allen was the reason Canada lost in the WJC Final to USA. He choked on the biggest stage which further emphasizes the point that he's mentally weak in high-pressure situations.

No he wasn't. There was absolutely no defense played by either team that game. I remember thinking to my self that two of the top goalies are being hung out to dry by two of the best teams in this tournament. It was one of the worst games I have seen as far as a sloppy play in a highly competitive environment.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
No he wasn't. There was absolutely no defense played by either team that game. I remember thinking to my self that two of the top goalies are being hung out to dry by two of the best teams in this tournament. It was one of the worst games I have seen as far as a sloppy play in a highly competitive environment.

I still remember the 5th goal he let in against the States. A dump in from center ice and Allen completely fumbles it letting the opposing USA player streak in and score. Maybe the Canadian defender should have been there, but Allen was already so rattled that he couldn't even catch a fluttering dump in.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I still remember the 5th goal he let in against the States. A dump in from center ice and Allen completely fumbles it letting the opposing USA player streak in and score. Maybe the Canadian defender should have been there, but Allen was already so rattled that he couldn't even catch a fluttering dump in.
Jack had a bad one too. But both defenses were appalling the whole game. If I were either goalie I would be rattled.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Jack had a bad one too. But both defenses were appalling the whole game. If I were either goalie I would be rattled.

Campbell had a bad game too. He's also barely an AHL-calibre goaltender.

I probably exaggerated my previous statement, Allen certainly wasn't the sole reason that Canada lost. I agree that both defenses were awful in that game. My point was more regarding Allen cracking under pressure. Let's face it, that 5th goal fumble was on him. I don't buy that he was rattled from his porous defense. He fumbled that because he's mentally weak and let the pressure get to him. Just look at his playoff numbers dating back to the AHL, simply not up to par.

I want Allen to succeed, but his history when it comes to important games does not inspire any confidence in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad