Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
My hope is that he goes back to Finland right now. He's shown that he is willing to come over. Obviously he is young and not high on the depth chart, so he can't make demands about where he plays, but the ECHL is probably not the best fit

Either way, #1 goalie of the future

Ehhhh I would be okay if he went back to Finland with the stated intention of returning next year when we clear up the log jam. If he just left for Finland tomorrow without any sort of assurance that he'd be back, I think that would be way worse situation than what we're with now.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It would be 100% Blues for Allen to turn out mediocre and Husso get disgruntled with the organization and somehow leave. And the goalie search continue. Just sayin.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Ty Conklin is the Blues minor league goalie coach. He's not going to be around every day like a player might prefer and he won't be on road trips but there is somebody on staff to work with him.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
It would be 100% Blues for Allen to turn out mediocre and Husso get disgruntled with the organization and somehow leave. And the goalie search continue. Just sayin.

He can't "leave" hahah well he can but we own his rights here in this part of the hockey world

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Allen turns out mediocre ---- CHECK
Husso gets disgruntled ----- Check (based on the article)
Husso leaves -------- Pending

2 out of 3 already.

Ty Conklin is the Blues minor league goalie coach. He's not going to be around every day like a player might prefer and he won't be on road trips but there is somebody on staff to work with him.

Except he apparently isn't working with him much if at all. It could be selective quotations, but there is no mention of him in the article. Corsi works with Allen and Hutton. Conklin should be focusing on Husso. If he can't then Husso needs to be somewhere he can get coaching.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
He can't "leave" hahah well he can but we own his rights here in this part of the hockey world

Do we hold his right after his ELC? If Husso wants to leave after that what are Husso's options? Would be funny if we see another Sobotka saga with Husso.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Do we hold his right after his ELC? If Husso wants to leave after that what are Husso's options? Would be funny if we see another Sobotka saga with Husso.

How would that be funny? Do you give a **** about this organization or only the Finnish players on it? In what way would it be funny to lose one of our best goaltending prospects?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How would that be funny? Do you give a **** about this organization or only the Finnish players on it? In what way would it be funny to lose one of our best goaltending prospects?

I don't know does Sobotka has relativies in Finland? Sobotka saga was funny.

But I really would want to know what are Husso options if he would want to leave this team? After ECL or?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't know does Sobotka has relativies in Finland? Sobotka saga was funny.

But I really would want to know what are Husso options if he would want to leave this team? After ECL or?

Blues hold his rights till he's 26. So go back to Europe is his only option

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If Husso wants to return to Europe, he'll either need to wait to the summer of 2019 when his ELC runs out or get the Blues blessing to where they'll loan him to a Euro team. For now, where he plays is up to the Blues.

Hopefully he soon gets the coaching/development he needs and all is good.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
I'm sure a lot of things in the ECHL are a shock to young NA players, too. What college or junior team doesn't have a weight room? He just needs to worry about the things he CAN control, like the quality of his play, and grab his chance when it comes.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm sure a lot of things in the ECHL are a shock to young NA players, too. What college or junior team doesn't have a weight room? He just needs to worry about the things he CAN control, like the quality of his play, and grab his chance when it comes.

Problem is that his caliber prospect goaltender shouldn't play ECHL level, limited icetime too and without any goaltender coach. You couldn't have done any worse for his first couple months of his first time in NA. I think he'll turn this positive or that is what I get his interview, but notice how badly things have done back end of Blues office is laughable.

The reason why Husso did went NA was get use to smaller rink, but without proper or even at least some goaltender coach saying what he's doing wrong doesn't help his develope. Ofc he's trying to do everything right what he can controll, but I assume such a young guy in totally different atmosphere its difficult to adjust right away. Just talk to goaltender coach would help him. Like you can read between the lines this has affect his mental game too already.

Hope he'll manage to get over this and somethimes get some coaching help back there in beer league. :cheers:

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Everyone is just so worked up on a prospect playing in tier 3 hockey.... There really is no need to argue/panic over the situation. If he's in the same spot say, next season then ok maybe there is cause for alarm. But for now, Husso just needs to play his game. ECHL really isn't a bad league. Sure it isn't ideal for a brand new player to NA but hey, years from now he might learn from this experience. Not every path to the NHL is going to be an easy one.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
What?

I'm not saying he's leaving tomorrow. But contracts end and you can't force someone to sign with you.

It's a hypothetical post regarding the future.

Maikkeli

Jul 12, 2016
Helsinki / Finland
Hello folks.
New rookie here.

Husso on being named runner up for ECHL goalie of week with a 2.13 goals-against average and .956 save percentage.
Now he just need to do his job and be patient.
Sooner or later at least one of the group Binnington / Coupley / Hutton will be traded. Latest next summer.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If everything in that article is true, it makes Armstrong look like even more of a buffoon. One of Copley or Binnington has absolutely gotta go this year.

Could either of that duo To be available for Las Vegas expansion draft?.
And if St Louis let at least Copley go how it will affect Ville Husso's future of St Louis goalie prospect.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Could either of that duo To be available for Las Vegas expansion draft?.
And if St Louis let at least Copley go how it will affect Ville Husso's future of St Louis goalie prospect.

I think both Binnington and Copley are eligible to be selected. I'd say there's a small chance Vegas picks them, the Blues have some good depth at F and D that Vegas would be more interested in I'm guessing.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah I think Vegas would rather have a guy like Jaskin, Edmundson, or Lindbohm before either Binnington or Copley.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Copley or Binnington getting picked isn't beyond the realm of possibilities. They need to take 3 goalies; I think you take a starter and the two best young goalies available. Binnington or Copley could play themselves into that position between now and the end of the season. We won't have any else exposed that is particularly special.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Copley or Binnington getting picked isn't beyond the realm of possibilities. They need to take 3 goalies; I think you take a starter and the two best young goalies available. Binnington or Copley could play themselves into that position between now and the end of the season. We won't have any else exposed that is particularly special.

There are going to be some big names available that will most likely have more trade value than anything we are offering. I don't think outside of Jake Allen the Blues would have a goalie picked. No shortage of goalies of that skill caliber right now as the trade market seems to show.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
There are going to be some big names available that will most likely have more trade value than anything we are offering. I don't think outside of Jake Allen the Blues would have a goalie picked. No shortage of goalies of that skill caliber right now as the trade market seems to show.

You are overselling what is going to be available. They aren't going to be committing huge dollars taking a couple of high priced guys who aren't living up to their contracts. Fleury will almost certainly be traded. Vegas would be crazy to take Bishop; he'll be an UFA and Tampa will have some of the better skaters to pick from.

Then we're talking the likes of Domingue, Lack, Ward, Darling, Pickard, Lehtonen, Niemi, Howard, Reimer, Zatkoff, Mazanec, Halák, Raanta, Hammond, Hutton, Grubauer and Hutchinson.

Then the likes of Bernier, Nilsson, Elliott, Johnson, McElhinne, Gustavsson, Berra, Budaj, Kuemper, Montoya, Kinkaid, Condon, Mason, Neuvirth, Enroth, Miller and Pavelec who will all be UFA's.

The most interesting name there is obviously Grubauer, but he might well be traded before the expansion draft so the Capitals can get the best value. Raanta is another interesting name, but probably someone you'd want in a tandem. The rest? Hardly inspiring.

From the unproven guys eligible, I'm not sure any are clearly better than Binnington. They need to select three goalies, so it is certainly possible they'll be looking at Binnington.

Here is the complete list of players that are eligible to be selected.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Pickard from the Avs would be a very good pick for Vegas if available. Lots of Avs fans are hoping he's protected over Varlamov.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
You are overselling what is going to be available. They aren't going to be committing huge dollars taking a couple of high priced guys who aren't living up to their contracts. Fleury will almost certainly be traded. Vegas would be crazy to take Bishop; he'll be an UFA and Tampa will have some of the better skaters to pick from.

Then we're talking the likes of Domingue, Lack, Ward, Darling, Pickard, Lehtonen, Niemi, Howard, Reimer, Zatkoff, Mazanec, Halák, Raanta, Hammond, Hutton, Grubauer and Hutchinson.

Then the likes of Bernier, Nilsson, Elliott, Johnson, McElhinne, Gustavsson, Berra, Budaj, Kuemper, Montoya, Kinkaid, Condon, Mason, Neuvirth, Enroth, Miller and Pavelec who will all be UFA's.

The most interesting name there is obviously Grubauer, but he might well be traded before the expansion draft so the Capitals can get the best value. Raanta is another interesting name, but probably someone you'd want in a tandem. The rest? Hardly inspiring.

From the unproven guys eligible, I'm not sure any are clearly better than Binnington. They need to select three goalies, so it is certainly possible they'll be looking at Binnington.

call me old school, but for all of these expansion drafts I've been thru whether the Scouts and Capitals or the WHA Expansion....there were alot of deals already in place before the draft ever took place. So we shall see.... I don't think any of those guys are elite or coveted as such, but let's hope for the best.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

One of the interesting wrinkles about the goalies exposed in the draft is that each organization is required to expose a goalie with a certain amount of NHL experience. I forget what the actual number of games played is, but you can't protect your starter and expose all of your undeveloped prospects and call it a day. That's why I think there will be less movement but for these rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad