Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Heh, so now Saros is real goaltender prospect? Remeber how people write down here Blues board when Saros struggled in his first year in NA at AHL.

Random drive-by posting, but I don't recall Saros struggling at any point in his first AHL season (2015/16).

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Random drive-by posting, but I don't recall Saros struggling at any point in his first AHL season (2015/16).

His first games weren't stastically that good. Maybe could find boxscores about those first 5 games.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Ville Husso's interview in 'rough' finnish. Use google translate if you wan't read hole story.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9321988

Couple quotes:

Husso played only couple games in AHL before they send him to ECHL league in team Mavericks.
The announcement came to me little bit suprise. First I fly with team from Chicago.Then we drove with bus
10 streight hours to Toronto. There I played some after I get injured, then we drove back to Kansas in 16 hours.
It was hilarious start, Husso laughs. After that everything has gone ok, only think positive.

Husso is playing the league which you can't tell seriouc eyes to be professional at any matter.

Its true. We've here guys which big time future hopes aren't NHL. Some guys do just own things here and
to them its just hobby. I've direct goal what to reach, have to learn keep your focus on there.

They have said on end of St Louis, we've totall condidence to you and I'm next #1 goaltender.Maybe it was
easy to them put me here (ECHL), 'cus I'm first year in NA, but they also tell 'the visit' on there wouldn't be that long.Well
one month has gone already, Husso continue.

Its odd we don't have any support. We even don't have gym in the hockey rink.You need to drive to there if you wan't to go gym after hockey training.
I go to gym one of golf clubs where you drive in 15minutes or different fitness club.

Its also bit odd that in here you can't get any goaltender coaching. You need to do your things all by yourself. I've use to get (in finland)
that your own goaltender coach comes with you at same time on ice and we training things. Now I've to ask somebody to come on ice can they
shoot to me so I can learn and get some challenge. Its hard when you don't get any feedback.

In here ECHL comes goals that you can't do anything. Youngsters want to just score goals and get points and they forgot to defend.
Its all the time 2/3 against me. You need to just make Hasek saves and throw things that you somehowe save. Ofc I need to understand this enviroment that
goals comes much more, but I just need to go forward and forget about it.

Maybe I just need some help, like goaltender coach would come and say what I did wrong and what would be right solution for it.

No use to put your own head in the bushes. I wan't to be next #1 goaltender in Blues and this will give me more of motivation and little bit more too.

Like couple weeks ago we're in Florida to play game, we drive there couple days earlier. We just were in beach and play beach volleybal and went to dinner's.
Its nice difference if you think what it was in finland where you would stand with full winter closes. If games goes well coach will give team good freedoms
and that is nice to players, Husso adds and smiles.

Overally extremely negative interview. Its like whatta f they have done to their promising prospect goaltender. I just laugh how badly this franchise has worked out Husso's situation. Joke absolute joke.

Most infuriating thing is he's left to alone there. Without goaltender coach or nothing just him and he need to ask somebody to come and shoot so he can get some training.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
So basically the Blues sent Husso to ECHL to be blistered by shots with no goalie coach or any feedback on what he is doing wrong and with subpar training facilities...seems to me that he can get this same experience by playing in a beer hockey league.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Ville Husso's interview in 'rough' finnish. Use google translate if you wan't read hole story.

Couple quotes:

Overally extremely negative interview. Its like whatta f they have done to their promising prospect goaltender. I just laugh how badly this franchise has worked out Husso's situation. Joke absolute joke.

Most infuriating thing is he's left to alone there. Without goaltender coach or nothing just him and he need to ask somebody to come and shoot so he can get some training.

I don't really understand what the plan is for him. I would guess they want to move him to the AHL, but are they trying to move one of Copley/Binnington? Surely they don't plan to leave Husso there all year.

Bizarre that he doesn't have more direct coaching, too.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
That is a really disappointing interview, for sure. The fact that they don't have a goalie coach is brutal, and not even a weight room is even worse. Sounds like he's all on his own out there.

That said... Binnington spent a full season in the ECHL and it didn't kill him. Other NHL goalies (from this year) that spent time down there: Montoya, Condon, Driedger, McIntyre, Reimer, Mrazek, Darling, Hutton, Dubnyk, Kuemper, Hutchinson, Grubauer, Holtby, Schneider, Neuvirth, Greiss, Halak, Talbot, Dell, Quick, Zatkoff, Smith, Domingue, and Peters. It *is* unusual for a goalie to come over from Europe and go directly to the ECHL, it seems like most of them are content to wait it out until there's a for-sure spot for them. But it's not unheard of.

It's a tough situation, and obviously it isn't ideal for Husso, but some of this is just part of the territory of having a deeper prospect pool. In the past, we've only had to send guys to Alaska/Quad Cities/wherever if they really weren't panning out (see: Niklas Lundstrom). Well, we've got some pretty good prospects now, and they're going to push some guys out. Look at the Islanders, for example: they've got Robinson and (at times) McAdam in the ECHL because they have guys like Gibson and Williams who are just as competitive, not to mention Sorokin and Soderstrom who are both still in Europe and likely better than anybody they have in North America. Copley may be our best goalie prospect right now, in terms of how comfortable I would feel letting them start in an NHL game. Long-term? Yeah, Husso's probably got higher upside. All I'm saying is that maybe this isn't the worst thing in the world. Is it ideal? Obviously not. But I don't think we're going to ruin the kid either.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
We should have just left him stay in Finland if he was going to just be used as a filler for an ECHL team. Horrible prospect management.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
That said... Binnington spent a full season in the ECHL and it didn't kill him. Other NHL goalies (from this year) that spent time down there: Montoya, Condon, Driedger, McIntyre, Reimer, Mrazek, Darling, Hutton, Dubnyk, Kuemper, Hutchinson, Grubauer, Holtby, Schneider, Neuvirth, Greiss, Halak, Talbot, Dell, Quick, Zatkoff, Smith, Domingue, and Peters. It *is* unusual for a goalie to come over from Europe and go directly to the ECHL, it seems like most of them are content to wait it out until there's a for-sure spot for them. But it's not unheard of.

I think we all hope that Husso's career ends up being better than the vast majority of the goalies you listed. So I don't care if a guy who might never play in the NHL or even a career back-up played in the ECHL. Others you listed have very few ECHL games. Going down for a few games isn't a big deal. Having Husso spend a whole season there in favor of two guys who would be lucky to max out as NHL back-ups is total mismanagement.

From the players you listed, Dubnyk, Smith, Halak and Quick are the only proven starters that played more ECHL games than AHL games in a season. The rest played a few games, are a career-back-up or are unproven. Of those 4, Smith is no longer a starter and Dubnyk was a very late bloomer. If we wanted a guy as good as Halak, we could have kept Halak. Quick played 19 AHL games and 3 NHL games his ECHL season, so he got some good coaching that season. Unless something changes, Husso is going to languish all year in the ECHL. Dubnyk is the only one who got less than 10 AHL games his ECHL year.

So if we have him in the ECHL for a bit while we find a place to trade Copley, fine. If Husso doesn't make it back to Chicago this year, its total mismanagement.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If everything in that article is true, it makes Armstrong look like even more of a buffoon. One of Copley or Binnington has absolutely gotta go this year.

Why it isn't true. Yle is most reliable news broadcaster in Finland. Seppälä is in charge of NHL theme on Yle. They don't make up things, like what we've seen with in neibhour land news broadcast do about Sobotka.

edit.

I hope guy like JR would read that interview. I don't believe that our Blues insiders even know how bad situation Husso really is back down ECHL.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't love hearing that a prospect is clearly unhappy, but I'm also taking a lot of this with a grain of salt.

The Wolves only have a part time goalie coach who is also the goalie coach for 2 high school teams and the head coach of another high school team. I don't believe he travels with the team, but that is just what I have heard from a friend of a friend. The Blues have Ty Conklin as their goalie development coach, and it is largely supposed to be his responsibility to work with our prospects in the minor leagues. If he hasn't made trips to KC to work with Husso, that is 100% a problem. However, simply being in the ECHL is not the base of that problem. Especially given the language barrier of this article, I can't tell if Husso means that there isn't a full time goalie coach or if Conklin has flat out never been there.

As I have said before, I'll be upset if Husso is in the ECHL all year. But at this point he has only played 7 games down there, he has been outplayed by first year pro Eamon McAdam and is right on par with the other goalie on the roster (who is also having a down year after winning ECHL goalie of the year last year). Husso sounds frustrated and upset, but he also isn't doing much to show he deserves to get brought back up to the AHL. He appears to be in legitimate danger of becoming the 3rd string goalie on the Mavericks and has only played in 2 of their last 7 games. Meanwhile, the two guys everyone wants the Blues to dump are posting better numbers in the AHL.

Worst case scenario, I think we will send him back to Finland for the rest of the year if a spot isn't opened up in the AHL. I'd rather see him get into the AHL, but starting in Finland certainly wouldn't be bad for his development.

Edit: Does anyone know what his English is like? Translation services get worse and worse the further you get from the NHL, which would certainly exacerbate any problems if his English isn't at least adequate.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

Couple quotes:

We don't have power on sending coaching down to an affiliate we don't own. He's young, they likely didn't tell him there was a chance he wouldn't be in the AHL. Which is a shame but no one ever said hockey was a kind "business" hopefully come next season they will make a stronger push to move him to the American League. I'm still in the camp that Husso will be fine, he has a long career ahead of him

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
No goaltender coach. He doesn't speak anything about Conklin. So he hasn't been there for Husso.

Husso english ok not Puljujärvi level, but like Tarasenko now. I think there was interview on Blues site about Husso at prospect training camp where he speaks english.

Left alone in the ECHL without any goaltender coach help or advice is bs by Blues. Imagine you need to ask somebody random come in to rink and shoot so you get at least some training.

Evaluating stats now is ****ing hilarious Brian. ****ing joke. If prospect comes new enviroment, country, everything new you dont throw him to Wolves and treat him like garbage. You guide him and teach him. Now he's quessing what he's doing wrong and also getting limited icetime in beer league where nobody doesn't know what is defense. That will get in some point youngster head. He was stunned he get first place assigment to ECHL after two games.

Its like what they are thinking over there? Fkrst they give good overview abiut Husso and the he perform ok Traverse City tournament at least against Wings he was good, then couple games AHL and then take everything out from him and throw to beer league? Joke

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
No goaltender coach. He doesn't speak anything about Conklin. So he hasn't been there for Husso.

Husso english ok not Puljujärvi level, but like Tarasenko now. I think there was interview on Blues site about Husso at prospect training camp where he speaks english.

Left alone in the ECHL without any goaltender coach help or advice is bs by Blues. Imagine you need to ask somebody random come in to rink and shoot so you get at least some training.

Evaluating stats now is ****ing hilarious Brian. ****ing joke. If prospect comes new enviroment, country, everything new you dont throw him to Wolves and treat him like garbage. You guide him and teach him. Now he's quessing what he's doing wrong and also getting limited icetime in beer league where nobody doesn't know what is defense. That will get in some point youngster head. He was stunned he get first place assigment to ECHL after two games.

Its like what they are thinking over there? Fkrst they give good overview abiut Husso and the he perform ok Traverse City tournament at least against Wings he was good, then couple games AHL and then take everything out from him and throw to beer league? Joke

I'm not picking apart his stats and I firmly believe he will be fine. My point is that people are acting like he is getting screwed as the odd man out when the reality is that he is getting outplayed by the other goalies in our system and isn't outplaying anyone in the ECHL. It's 100% understandable from a young guy transitioning to NHL ice, but it also doesn't scream that he should be in the AHL over Copley or Binnington right now. Perceived ceilings aside, what has Husso done to show the Wolves that he should be there over Copley or Binnington? The Wolves control playing time, not the Blues. They chose those two over Husso, not the Blues.

Acting like the ECHL is a beer league is a joke. Acting like he is pulling random people off the street to shoot on him is a joke. It is pretty obvious he is talking about grabbing teammates and/or assistant coaches to shoot on him in unstructured drills.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
My only complaint from that interview is the seeming lack of coaching. I don't have too much of a problem with him being in the ECHL(I would rather he be in Finland still, but at least he's playing on North American ice) as he's the youngest of the three. Yeah the accommodations suck in the ECHL and they get progressively better as you climb through the ranks. That doesn't really bother me. Not having a goaltending coach to help develop our best goalie prospect is pretty absurd to me. I don't know how that's even possible honestly. Some high school teams have goaltending coaches. How could a professional organization not have one?

I hope he doesn't get too pissed about the situation. He was apparently told he won't be there long, so I imagine that means one of Copley or Binnington is leaving soon. Neither of them are worth anything, so it would basically be giving up a goalie prospect just to get playing time for one that appears to be a better prospect. It's not ideal, but it's better than him becoming another Barulin.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
My only complaint from that interview is the seeming lack of coaching. I don't have too much of a problem with him being in the ECHL(I would rather he be in Finland still, but at least he's playing on North American ice) as he's the youngest of the three. Yeah the accommodations suck in the ECHL and they get progressively better as you climb through the ranks. That doesn't really bother me. Not having a goaltending coach to help develop our best goalie prospect is pretty absurd to me. I don't know how that's even possible honestly. Some high school teams have goaltending coaches. How could a professional organization not have one?

I hope he doesn't get too pissed about the situation. He was apparently told he won't be there long, so I imagine that means one of Copley or Binnington is leaving soon. Neither of them are worth anything, so it would basically be giving up a goalie prospect just to get playing time for one that appears to be a better prospect. It's not ideal, but it's better than him becoming another Barulin.

We can only hope that someone is checking in on Husso to remind him that things WILL get better

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Sooner or later (probably sooner) one of the four goalies ahead of Husso will get hurt and everyone will move up a spot. At that point he needs to make it hard to send him back down when everyone is healthy. It's hard for young people to be patient but he needs to learn that skill.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like everybody else understand the problem in this interview except Brian39.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
My hope is that he goes back to Finland right now. He's shown that he is willing to come over. Obviously he is young and not high on the depth chart, so he can't make demands about where he plays, but the ECHL is probably not the best fit

Either way, #1 goalie of the future

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm not picking apart his stats and I firmly believe he will be fine. My point is that people are acting like he is getting screwed as the odd man out when the reality is that he is getting outplayed by the other goalies in our system and isn't outplaying anyone in the ECHL. It's 100% understandable from a young guy transitioning to NHL ice, but it also doesn't scream that he should be in the AHL over Copley or Binnington right now. Perceived ceilings aside, what has Husso done to show the Wolves that he should be there over Copley or Binnington? The Wolves control playing time, not the Blues. They chose those two over Husso, not the Blues.

Acting like the ECHL is a beer league is a joke. Acting like he is pulling random people off the street to shoot on him is a joke. It is pretty obvious he is talking about grabbing teammates and/or assistant coaches to shoot on him in unstructured drills.

"Perceived ceilings aside, what has Husso done to show the Wolves that he should be there over Copley or Binnington?"
Was the goalie of the year in a good Finnish league last year. I take that as a factor over the two AHL games he got and the awful ECHL team he is playing for.

"The Wolves control playing time, not the Blues. They chose those two over Husso, not the Blues." The Wolves control playing time but not player allocation. The Blues could assign Copley to the ECHL or trade him and there is nothing Chicago can say. They could sign their own goalie to be Binnington's backup and not play Husso. But Chicago can't recall Copley from a different team

"Acting like the ECHL is a beer league is a joke."
It's not a beer league but its pretty bad. My buddy had season tickets to an ECHL team, and I'd go to like half the games with him over a couple year span. I have seen a lot of ECHL, and its well, well below AHL in terms of play. I only went because my friend enjoyed it, I could barely watch it. That said, a good goalie can stand out, not statistically, but just by how he plays. The team I saw had one I thought stood out from the rest of the chaff. He got promoted to the AHL and got a couple NHL games the next year. His stats were bad on the Solar Bears, but the eye test showed he was decent. If there are no goalie coaches or anyone with eyes on Husso, how can the Blues or anyone know how he is playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad