Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Getting Pheonix in the Oshie deal looks more and more like the Caps unloaded a boat anchor on us.

I don't quite believe Copley could be classified as a boat anchor.

Is it possible that maybe the combined coaching staff feels Husso is just simply behind both Copley and Binnington?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Getting Pheonix in the Oshie deal looks more and more like the Caps unloaded a boat anchor on us.

Other than your own personal opinion on the trade, do you have anything which supports this?

He stopped 28 of 30 in his one start so far this year and put up almost identical numbers to Binnington last year (Copley's were slightly, slightly better but not enough to be meaningful). His numbers were significantly better than Binnington's the year prior, but it is tough to draw much of a conclusion from that since they played for different teams.

He is widely regarded as a good goaltender prospect. In Goal magazine hasn't done a top 50 prospect list for this year yet, but last year had Copley at 11 and Binnington at 33 (Husso was 7). I'd imagine Cop will drop and Binn will rise this year, making them pretty close.

We have a bit of a log jam in net, but Copley is by no means an 'anchor' any more than Binnington is. Goalie prospects are incredibly hard to predict and ever one of them is a bit of a crapshoot. I will gladly watch us deal with the 'problem' of too many quality prospects in net.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't quite believe Copley could be classified as a boat anchor.

Is it possible that maybe the combined coaching staff feels Husso is just simply behind both Copley and Binnington?

If Husso is behind of them then we should be worried about our goaltending prospect pool, 'cus Binnington and Copley sucks.

St. Louis Blues are proud to select in #14 pick Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. :bb:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If Husso is behind of them then we should be worried about our goaltending prospect pool, 'cus Binnington and Copley sucks.

St. Louis Blues are proud to select in #14 pick Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. :bb:

I think the vast majority of people involved in hockey would strongly disagree with that assessment. Both are widely regarded as goalies whose floors are NHL backup goalie with a chance to become starters in the league. The best goalie coach in the world had nothing but praise for Copley during his time in Washington. The absolute best resource for goaltender prospects thinks both of them are good goaltender prospects.

Even ignoring all that, acting like goaltender development is purely linear is a mistake. Assuming that a 21 year old goalie is 100% better off splitting starts in the AHL than starting full time in the ECHL is a mistake. Assuming that Husso's ability at the moment is any indication of his liklihood of becoming an NHL goalie is a mistake.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I have only said Husso were better Traverse City tournament and from training camp they give 'us' fans information Husso was ahead of both Binnigton and Copley. Guy like Ty Conklin was rooting Husso and how ready he already is and knows what to improve.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Here is my take on the goalie prospects situation.

Copley is the easy pick to move on from after this season.

His contract is up.

He is the oldest of our goalie prospects. Meaning his development is the furthest along and we control his for the least amount of time.
He has one great half season of play. If you sample goalies at a 26 game size, you will find plenty that have a period of play that looks great. Binnington has shown more over the course of his career.

Right now Binnington and Copley are basically the same in terms of performance. Their styles are different, as Copley is more athletic and Binnington is more positional. I take the stable over the flashy, because stability is a critical goalie trait.

On the matter of should we have acquired Copley, my answer is confidently no.

I didn't see much in him at the time (that seems quite validated now).

We already had strong goaltending depth.

Log jams hinder development of goalies at a young age, unless they are making a transition to NA ice or they have spent a few years developing in the AHL already.

Our forward prospects were a blindingly glaring weakness.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
So don't trade with Washington or take a futures package where a 1st is the main target?

I think they needed a decent forward on an expiring contract. We didn't know Fabbri would break out. I don't think Copley was the critical part of the return, but Oshie had been shopped so long I really doubt a better package was easily available.

I really think Copley was just added value.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think they needed a decent forward on an expiring contract. We didn't know Fabbri would break out. I don't think Copley was the critical part of the return, but Oshie had been shopped so long I really doubt a better package was easily available.

I really think Copley was just added value.

I am not sure why the expiring contract was needed. Seems like a waste of an asset to me. I rather would have held onto him and sold during the offseason.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I am not sure why the expiring contract was needed. Seems like a waste of an asset to me. I rather would have held onto him and sold during the offseason.

It felt like there had to be some kind of shake up to change this team's postseason fate. Swap Oshie and Brouwer, and the team looks better on paper. How would things have ended up?

I think the Oshie scapegoating has gone to ridiculous extents, but there would have been a lynch mob if they'd gone into the season with that roster. I think a couple guys were shaken out of complacency.

But there were probably several ways that might have been accomplished.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
In his chat today, JR had the following to say in regards to Husso getting assigned to the Mavs:

Well, he's got to play and that would have been tough with all three goalies in Chicago. I spoke with Army about this, and I'll have his comments in a blog or notebook soon, but in a nutshell, Army spoke with Husso's agent and they want him playing. Army says that many good goalies have spent time in the ECHL and especially since this is Husso's first year in North America, this will help with the transition.

So it sounds like Husso's agent (and thus likely Husso as well) were well involved in the decision on him going to the ECHL.

As long as he plays a lot there, it should be good for him.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
In his chat today, JR had the following to say in regards to Husso getting assigned to the Mavs:

So it sounds like Husso's agent (and thus likely Husso as well) were well involved in the decision on him going to the ECHL.

As long as he plays a lot there, it should be good for him.
So long as it is 1/2 year to a full year only then I agree, but that means they have to make room for him next year. That can happen by removing Copley or Binnington, or by allowing one of those two to slot in as Allen's backup. There are more options, but given what we know now, those are the only realistic ones.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think the vast majority of people involved in hockey would strongly disagree with that assessment. Both are widely regarded as goalies whose floors are NHL backup goalie with a chance to become starters in the league. The best goalie coach in the world had nothing but praise for Copley during his time in Washington. The absolute best resource for goaltender prospects thinks both of them are good goaltender prospects.

Even ignoring all that, acting like goaltender development is purely linear is a mistake. Assuming that a 21 year old goalie is 100% better off splitting starts in the AHL than starting full time in the ECHL is a mistake. Assuming that Husso's ability at the moment is any indication of his liklihood of becoming an NHL goalie is a mistake.
I mean it's nice that you just pulled that out of thin air, but no, not really. Their floors could easily turn out to be lower than that and I don't see many people projecting them to be future NHL starters.

It's possible they could but they're not that highly regarded around hockey. Copley turns 25 soon and he has never even started a full season in the AHL. The most he has ever played is 37 games...

For comparison, Allen is 26. One year difference. Copley isn't garbage but he's not exactly anything to be excited about.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So long as it is 1/2 year to a full year only then I agree, but that means they have to make room for him next year. That can happen by removing Copley or Binnington, or by allowing one of those two to slot in as Allen's backup. There are more options, but given what we know now, those are the only realistic ones.

I think both Binnington and Copley are faaaar to be ready couple NHL stint or even speaking up backup role.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Many of us like to root for the underdog.

Pheonix Copley is certainly an underdog. He's soon to be 25 years of age, with less than a period of NHL hockey under his belt. He hasn't even established himself as the starting goaltender of the Chicago Wolves. But how can you not root for a guy born in North Pole, Alaska?

Of course, I was excited about Curtis Sanford, too. He pretty much came out of nowhere and made it to the NHL. He looked like he would be a solid player for the Blues, but couldn't keep from injuring his groin.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

If you think about it, the 2-year deal we gave Hutton was designed to give us a goalie to expose to the expansion draft. If he is claimed, we can move one of Binnington-Copley-Husso into that role if we feel they're ready, or find another option through free agency if one of these three doesn't step forward. If he isn't, we can move him if one of these three step forward or keep him if none of them do.

I think there is at least a decent chance that he is desirable enough to Las Vegas as a backup option given his contract and level of play that they see him at the top of their list for the #2 role for their first year.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If you think about it, the 2-year deal we gave Hutton was designed to give us a goalie to expose to the expansion draft. If he is claimed, we can move one of Binnington-Copley-Husso into that role if we feel they're ready, or find another option through free agency if one of these three doesn't step forward. If he isn't, we can move him if one of these three step forward or keep him if none of them do.

I think there is at least a decent chance that he is desirable enough to Las Vegas as a backup option given his contract and level of play that they see him at the top of their list for the #2 role for their first year.

I agree. The two year deal for Hutton was solid.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I mean it's nice that you just pulled that out of thin air, but no, not really. Their floors could easily turn out to be lower than that and I don't see many people projecting them to be future NHL starters.

It's possible they could but they're not that highly regarded around hockey. Copley turns 25 soon and he has never even started a full season in the AHL. The most he has ever played is 37 games...

For comparison, Allen is 26. One year difference. Copley isn't garbage but he's not exactly anything to be excited about.

http://ingoalmag.com/features/ingoal-future-watch-2016-western-conference/

http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50-nhl-goaltending-prospects-for-2015-2016-season/

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Heh, so now Saros is real goaltender prospect? Remeber how people write down here Blues board when Saros struggled in his first year in NA at AHL.

Looks like Husso has played his first game at ECHL, GAA 9.00 and save% 78.6%.

DQoae.gif

Last edited:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Looks like Husso has played his first game at ECHL, GAA 9.00 and save% 78.6%.

Ouch that's a pretty brutal stat line. Anyone have any context behind those numbers? 9 GA and .786 SV% means he faced 42 shots and made 33 saves. That's a lot of shots but still...yikes

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
Ouch that's a pretty brutal stat line. Anyone have any context behind those numbers? 9 GA and .786 SV% means he faced 42 shots and made 33 saves. That's a lot of shots but still...yikes

He probably let in 3 goals on 14 shots and got pulled after the 1st period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad