Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
If we take compare Husso and Saros who both are 21-years old. They both were U18 and U20 teams. Saros went 1 year earlier in NA. Saros struggles with first game in AHL, but eventually he bring quite decent stats. Here. You need to understand how different type of goaltenders they are, size difference is huge and ofc how they play. Saros is flashy when Husso is calm and expressionless. Husso has pretty good history how he perform in NA rink. (u18 WJC, short sample)

Point is I see Husso totally different level what he were when Saros was in here Finland and they played together in national team. Just break down Binnington and Copley stats and what Saros showed after his first year. Husso shouldn't have same kind of problem getting adjust to smaller rink
what people have assumed here. I assume he'll adjust smoothier/faster in smaller rink. Love how well 'Lunde'(G coach) work with his stickhandling last year what had significant affect Husso's play. Corsi is gonna have good tools to work out with Husso. I can't wait.

I think Army need to get rid off one of the goaltender or give him loan to another NHL/AHL team, Binnington or Copley.

Husso need to play AHL 40+ GP in his first year.
Totally agree. Sending a goalie of Husso's talent to play in the ECHL seems pointless, I'd bet one of Binnington/Copley will get traded.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I also didn't like what I read when JR said that Army's plan was for Husso to play in the ECHL. That's a downgrade to the FHL. Yeah, he needs to adapt to the N.A. ice surface but that's not a huge adjustment. 1. That adjustment is less for goalies than it is for skaters and 2. The rinks in Finland are a hybrid of the NHL 200x85 rinks and the Olympic 200x100 rinks. Most rinks in Finland are around 200x93.

My hope is that Husso will prove to be the best of the 3 prospect goalies in camp and they'll have no choice but to give him prime AHL minutes. I don't like this glut of goalie prospects Army has created though.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Read today's JR chat. There was question about Blues goaltender debt chart.

This was JR answer.

I rather see Husso play one more year in Europe for instead of go to NA and play downgrade level game compare to what he'd play in here Finland.

Transition should be at AHL not ECHL.

Its not Husso's fault Army acquire another goaltender for no need and now Army will face the reality he already had promising goaltender on the pipeline.

Prospect camp should show to our management where in reality Husso stand on the goaltender debt chart.

I'm gonna be very suprised if Husso is behind Binnington or Copley.

You are very much right what you talk about it. Husso have been 3 years in my favorite FEL team goalie and he is more close to seconder NHL goalie and not near to ECHL, that will be joke and if they try to put him ECHL (there is contract that if player from Europe don't get NHL, he can come back his Euro league, of course this not happen often). But ECHL is really joke, FEL is at least same level than AHL, maybe even better and Husso was in his young age one of the best goalies if not the best. He is very good in all around goalie and very calm, if there come bad game, he don't start to worry, but start to play better. I understand that here is a lot people who don't know nothing Husso, but he is gold mine to you. Also, we have one of to most best goal program (been a long and this little country) so trust to that. Husso is good height and his most promising goalie in a long time and actually in all time too.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If Husso is in the ECHL, it'll be to get him use to smaller rinks imo. We're very aware of Husso. Some of us go overboard and are ready to kick a goalie or 2 out of the system for him lol

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Husso is in the ECHL, it'll be to get him use to smaller rinks imo. We're very aware of Husso. Some of us go overboard and are ready to kick a goalie or 2 out of the system for him lol

I don't know how it goes if Elliott/Allen gets injured could they even call-up Husso if he plays some firm league?

I think will have good look in prospect camp where Binnington vs. Copley vs. Husso stands and then decide should they send him ECHL or is the another possibilty loan Hude to another NHL/AHL team or trade Binnington/Copley? :)

Edit. Didn't saw @IFK post, very well sum it up there! My post is like :nopity:

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ah, I actually forgot we can loan him out to another team. No reason for him to be in the ECHL then

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Ah, I actually forgot we can loan him out to another team. No reason for him to be in the ECHL then

Loaning a goalie to another AHL team is much easier said than done. Most other teams have their own goalies they want to develop and want to get playing time. Why help out the Blues and develop their goalie for them? There'd have to be a spot open on another team and a big need for a goalie, which is exceptionally rare.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What that Brian Elliott's trade to Calgary means to Husso.
Is he now Jake Allen's back-up or is he going to play next season AHL / ECHL

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
What that Brian Elliott's trade to Calgary means to Husso.
Is he now Jake Allen's back-up or is he going to play next season AHL / ECHL

Husso will be in the AHL. Even if he has a great camp, we'll want him playing as often as possible for at least the first half of the season.

Nilsson will be extended, and he'll be the backup.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Husso will be in the AHL. Even if he has a great camp, we'll want him playing as often as possible for at least the first half of the season.

Nilsson will be extended, and he'll be the backup.

Are we sure the guy who had below 90% is the guy to be our backup, when our starter isn't proven?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I just notice Ville Husso elite prospect site says AHL Chicago Wolves for next sesasin 2016-2017.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
The Blues just posted on Facebook that "Husso was named Liiga's best goaltender in 2015-16 after leading the league in wins, GAA, and save percentage."

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Are we sure the guy who had below 90% is the guy to be our backup, when our starter isn't proven?

I trusted what Armstrong said, something that I keep stressing we should never do :laugh:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It is "Korac-official"

After spending three seasons playing in Finland, 2014 4th rd pick G Ville Husso will make jump to North America this year. #stlblues

Ville Husso was 25-8-6 with a 1.91 GAA and .927 SV% with 5 shutouts in 39 regular season games with HIFK Helsinki of the SM-liiga. #stlblues

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Future Conn Smythe winner. It will probably be in Giguere fashion though.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ville Husso was 25-8-6 with a 1.91 GAA and .927 SV% with 5 shutouts in 39 regular season games with HIFK Helsinki of the SM-liiga. #stlblues
That's sexy.

I love the guy already, I'd rather build a statue of him than Parayko.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
That's sexy.

I love the guy already, I'd rather build a statue of him than Parayko.

Future Conn Smythe winner. It will probably be in Giguere fashion though.

ghostbust_118f_zps5a15823d.gif

Lou Korac forgot maybe impressive thing about last year, Husso is historically 2nd youngest goaltender who won best goaltender award in Liiga. Last time who was younger then Husso and won that award was Kari Lehtonen 2003.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad