Red Sox/MLB 2024 Playoffs: Sox finish .500 - MLB legend Pete Rose has died at the age of 83

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am conflicted about Pete Rose

Something to remember about Pete Rose: he’s in the Hall of Fame. There is a sizable collection of his artifacts and numerous displays in the museum. What the HOF doesn’t have is his plaque in the Plaque Room. That’s it.

The truth is, if he had been contrite he could have turned into one of baseball’s best ambassadors. He could have been the one leading the way on promoting to others a way out of gambling addiction.

He didn’t.

If you don’t think he could have pulled that off, just look at what Alex Rodriguez has done to resurrect his image.

Reactions: sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Another reason why the DBacks are getting screwed here

Dear lord this is hilarious

Chaim Bloom has no business running an organization like the Cardinals. He was never even head guy in Tampa, failed miserably in Boston. He should be an assistant GM or at BEST the lead guy in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Oakland.
How did he “fail miserably in Boston”? He did exactly what ownership wanted him to do, and the dude who replaced him is continuing that same trajectory. Bloom wasn’t the issue, it was Henry and co not wanting to spend any money.

Something to remember about Pete Rose: he’s in the Hall of Fame. There is a sizable collection of his artifacts and numerous displays in the museum. What the HOF doesn’t have is his plaque in the Plaque Room. That’s it.

The truth is, if he had been contrite he could have turned into one of baseball’s best ambassadors. He could have been the one leading the way on promoting to others a way out of gambling addiction.

He didn’t.

If you don’t think he could have pulled that off, just look at what Alex Rodriguez has done to resurrect his image.
He’s one of the biggest dirtbags to have ever lived. No hall for him. The gambling was bad but he’s done far worse and doesn’t belong.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How did he “fail miserably in Boston”? He did exactly what ownership wanted him to do, and the dude who replaced him is continuing that same trajectory. Bloom wasn’t the issue, it was Henry and co not wanting to spend any money.

He’s one of the biggest dirtbags to have ever lived. No hall for him. The gambling was bad but he’s done far worse and doesn’t belong.
It’s the underage women accusations for me that’s a disqualifier

Reactions: LSCII

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

He didn’t.

I still love his game and his attitude when he played. But I have zero sympathy for him. He had a hundred opportunities to apologize and admit wrongdoing, and waited until he wrote a book and then offered a tepid apology. Hubris was his worst enemy.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
It’s the underage women accusations for me that’s a disqualifier
Rose a a bad guy.

There are plenty of bad guys in the HOF.

MLB has always been very clear about what the punishment for gambling is. I've yet to hear a compelling case for why Pete Rose should be let off the hook when others haven't been.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Nobody ever says ownership isn't part of the problem. Nobody. But Chaim Bloom was also not good at his job. Both are true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad