Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I wouldn't be willing to add to Shattenkirk for the 4th other then a conditional pick if they want to roll the dice on Shattenkirk.

6th+Shattenkirk....I'm looking past the 4th into the untouchable top 3

If we get the 6th, I don't see the value in moving up.

Also, even if Elliott wins it all, why not just keep both Allen and Elliott and run with them for another year?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If we get the 6th, I don't see the value in moving up.

Also, even if Elliott wins it all, why not just keep both Allen and Elliott and run with them for another year?

We would bank on Husso being the goalie if the future. Cash in on Allen IF a deal like that was available. It's a gamble that I doubt army would make bit it makes for good conversation

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
We would bank on Husso being the goalie if the future. Cash in on Allen IF a deal like that was available. It's a gamble that I doubt army would make bit it makes for good conversation

If we can get a 6th for Allen, I'll take it. Its a huge bet on Husso, but the kids looked promising.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Read today's JR chat. There was question about Blues goaltender debt chart.

This was JR answer.

It's a tossup between Binnington and Copley. Husso played well this season and he'll be coming to North America. Listening to Armstrong recently, it sounds like they'll find a home for Husso in the ECHL next season. They think that will be good for him as he makes the transition.

I rather see Husso play one more year in Europe for instead of go to NA and play downgrade level game compare to what he'd play in here Finland.

Transition should be at AHL not ECHL.

Its not Husso's fault Army acquire another goaltender for no need and now Army will face the reality he already had promising goaltender on the pipeline.

Prospect camp should show to our management where in reality Husso stand on the goaltender debt chart.

I'm gonna be very suprised if Husso is behind Binnington or Copley.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Let him dominate the ECHL or he proves he's ahead of the other 2 in camp. Binnington and Copley are both meh anyway, so I don't think Husso will have a problem earning his spot.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Read today's JR chat. There was question about Blues goaltender debt chart.

This was JR answer.

I rather see Husso play one more year in Europe for instead of go to NA and play downgrade level game compare to what he'd play in here Finland.

Transition should be at AHL not ECHL.

Its not Husso's fault Army acquire another goaltender for no need and now Army will face the reality he already had promising goaltender on the pipeline.

Prospect camp should show to our management where in reality Husso stand on the goaltender debt chart.

I'm gonna be very suprised if Husso is behind Binnington or Copley.

yea part of the reason why I was excited to pick up the AHL package was to see Husso transition in a very strong league. somewhat let down if they feel the need to start him in the ECHL. Though in the long term it shouldn't hurt his play. just an odd move when the Liiga is a far better league then the coast

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Let him start in the ECHL, get his feet wet for the NA game. The angles are going to be different as the NHL/AHL/ECHL is considerably less wide than even the smallest Finnish rink. Then once he gets comfy and starts utterly dominating, we can move a goalie to bring him up. There is no need to rush him as we still have 2 capable goaltenders in the NHL. But I would think he will be in the AHL before next year is up.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
ECHL for Husso? If that's the Blues' best offer for next season he should stay in Finland. That's a garbage league, prestige-wise. Hardly the Big Time...may as well be treated like a Pro in Europe rather than slum it in the E.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
ECHL for Husso? If that's the Blues' best offer for next season he should stay in Finland. That's a garbage league, prestige-wise. Hardly the Big Time...may as well be treated like a Pro in Europe rather than slum it in the E.
It's actually not as bad as it used to be, plenty of decent teams but yes when you compare it to the Finnish Liiga it is a step down.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

The move, if it happens, would be less about the quality of competition and more about getting him acclimated to the North American rink dimensions and how that affects his tracking, reaction and positioning.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What if the ECHL team in front of him is garbage? Don't care how good he is, you can't dominate when you play behind a garbage team.

I lived in Orlando and a buddy had Solar Bear season tix (Wild's ECHL team). I hated going because it was garbage hockey, I mean garbage, GARBAGE, an ECHL expansion team level of garbage. But my buddy liked it so we'd get some beers and watch....something resembling hockey. One year, the team had John Curry. "Who?" you ask. He's a nobody, played a few games for the Wild before they found Dubnyk. But he was head and shoulders above the ECHL comp. And it was obvious. He dominated. His stats may not have been great because he was playing for a garbage team. But the eye-test showed he out-classed everyone on the ice. And he was just AHL level talent.

Point being, even with a garbage team in front of him, talent will show. Husso needs to learn the angles on NA ice. ECHL, garbage as it may be, will have him face a lot of shots. In fact, because its so garbage, he will probably face a lot of shots. And even if he gives up 3 GAA because his team is garbage, talent will show and he'll learn the angles.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
That acquisition of Copely really makes sense now?

What do you mean of that? Husso isn't good enough or Army acquire Copley and now they face they have to put one of the goaltenders in the beer league?

I think JR answered just something in his chat what isn't the reality at all. I can tell you Husso isn't behind one of Binnignton or Copley. He's one of the promising goaltenders in Finland now and last year performance (won best goaltender of the year award, in history he was sec youngest who has won it) and change for pro-training just has make him in right on track.

That is bad management if you need to put your future goaltender minor league just for that case you don't have room for him in NA.

Now we see how well Army can use/trade Blues assets and acquire needed assets.

I only can remember one finnish goaltender who has played in ECHL, Sinuhe Wallinheimo, but damn he was terrible goaltender.

I'm just honna laugh my arse off if Army will put his future goaltender in ECHL and can't agree it was unnecessary move to get another goaltender Copley in team on Oshie trade. Suck it up and fix your mistakes goofball.

It's such baloney to say he can play there, 'cus he need transition to get use to NA rink. He can do it in AHL level. It's Army's fault, I think its totall bs if Husso has to suffer his bad moves.

Last edited:

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't see how we can write in or write off any of the three goalie prospects. Husso hasn't played a single game in North America. Copley and Binnington haven't excelled in Chicago, but they haven't shown themselves to be incompetent either.

Brian Elliott was a ninth round draft choice with several undistinguished years as an NHL goalie before he arrived here to serve as a back-up goaltender. Goalies take a while to develop. I do trust an organization with Brodeur and Corsi to be able to evaluate the prospects.

We would be foolish to trade Allen or Elliott unless someone made us an offer that was too good to refuse.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
In Army's comments a few days ago, he said he'd be fine IF Elliott and Allen returned next year, so it's not a guarantee that they will. But suppose they do, if (when) either Copely or Binnington gets hurt Husso will be called up. If (when) either Elliott or Allen gets hurt and an AHL goalie gets called up, Husso will move up. Either way Husso will be in the AHL quite a bit assuming that neither of the two current AHL guys get moved before October. It will all get sorted out.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I got to say, I am not a fan of goalies splitting time in the AHL. Having competition for other positions is a great idea. Goaltender really isn't one of them. Goalies need to go through their ups and downs on the ice. It sets them up to make better in game, "mental resets" and game-to-game consistency.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Both Binnington and Copely are RFA, so maybe Copely is dealt for a depth pick at the draft. If we manage a 3rd for Copely I'd be ectastic.
Even if Husso starts off in the ECHL, injuries will happen and every time one of the NHL or AHL goalies get injured he'll get a cal up. Probably still only sees 5-8 games in the AHL even then.
Maybe playing his first 5-8 games in the ECHL to get his feet wet, but he should be in the AHL.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
Not a fan of that trade at all and thought getting another goalie was especially stupid, but watching him play I definitely prefer him to Binnington for sure, but that's after Allen, Elliott, Nilsson, and Husso. Loved watching Husso at camp, he's gonna be good.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If we take compare Husso and Saros who both are 21-years old. They both were U18 and U20 teams. Saros went 1 year earlier in NA. Saros struggles with first game in AHL, but eventually he bring quite decent stats. Here. You need to understand how different type of goaltenders they are, size difference is huge and ofc how they play. Saros is flashy when Husso is calm and expressionless. Husso has pretty good history how he perform in NA rink. (u18 WJC, short sample)

Point is I see Husso totally different level what he were when Saros was in here Finland and they played together in national team. Just break down Binnington and Copley stats and what Saros showed after his first year. Husso shouldn't have same kind of problem getting adjust to smaller rink
what people have assumed here. I assume he'll adjust smoothier/faster in smaller rink. Love how well 'Lunde'(G coach) work with his stickhandling last year what had significant affect Husso's play. Corsi is gonna have good tools to work out with Husso. I can't wait.

I think Army need to get rid off one of the goaltender or give him loan to another NHL/AHL team, Binnington or Copley.

Husso need to play AHL 40+ GP in his first year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad