Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Elliot wasn't always as positionally sound as when he entered the league. He work on his positional game to the point that it became an asset. There are many goalie that have improved in this area. See Dubnyk as another example.

If Allen can work on that aspect and work on his mental resiliency, then he has a chance to be a solid starter.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think Elliott's style was more suited to us, and I think Allen would fair better in Calgary. Ells isn't a tremendous goalie, he is just one that works well in our system. We need a patient, solidly positioned goalie who makes the saves he is supposed to make. More athletic goalies tend to do better in a higher shot-count, less structured environments.

Well written. Its like Miller thing, he didn't fit behind our defense. Same goes with Allen is he's all over the place. That said Husso is patient and positioned well, hope he'll develope and take needed steps.

Btw doesn't it sound bit odd Husso will speak up in interview he need goaltender coach? Like he has get use to in Finland and now he's facing new enviroment and atmosphere, we need to remember this is his first year in NA. How big thing mental work is for young goaltender?

Tupelo

Come On You Spurs
Nov 28, 2007
St. Louis
I'm pretty frustrated with the way his development has been handled this year. Why even bring him over if we are just going to send him to ECHL? Either send him back to Finland and let him play in their top league, or cut bait on one of Binnington/Copley.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I'm pretty frustrated with the way his development has been handled this year. Why even bring him over if we are just going to send him to ECHL? Either send him back to Finland and let him play in their top league, or cut bait on one of Binnington/Copley.

To get him used to NA hockey. Starting off in the ECHL isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Hell Quick, Thomas, Holtby, Legace, Biron, and Halak all started in the ECHL. And pretty sure at least 2 of those goalies have won a cup. I feel like everyone is freaking out about the ECHL as some horror story when developing a player when it's not, it's a stepping stone that some players go through.

Tupelo

Come On You Spurs
Nov 28, 2007
St. Louis
To get him used to NA hockey. Starting off in the ECHL isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Hell Quick, Thomas, Holtby, Legace, Biron, and Halak all started in the ECHL. And pretty sure at least 2 of those goalies have won a cup. I feel like everyone is freaking out about the ECHL as some horror story when developing a player when it's not, it's a stepping stone that some players go through.

Yea, I was trying to think of young Euro goalies who went that route recently and couldn't think of any. Holtby is a good one. But I was seeing guys like Vasilevskiy and Saros (whom I'd say is one of the best comparisons for Husso) and they immediately went and split time in the AHL. To me, I'd rather Husso have gotten another year in Finland. It allows us to decide who we want to keep between Copley/Binnington (or bring one up to serve as a back up instead of Hutton); then next year Husso can split starts in the AHL, while still playing against very good competition this year. Allows him to get used to NA hockey all the same.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I still don't understand why people want to dump one of Binnington/Copley when they are both perfectly good goaltenders in their own right, simply for the sake of clearing room for an unproven goaltender that's had a really rough start to the year. People whine in here all the time about prospect management, I just don't see how dumping either (a) a goalie you've invested almost 6 years in, or (b) the best goalie we have in our prospect pipeline right now... I don't see how that's handling our prospects well. Husso's a big boy, he's not going to demand a trade to the Blackhawks because he had to spend some time in Independence. His numbers are starting to come back around, and he's for sure getting more ice time with the Mavs than he would splitting time in Chicago.

Binnington and Copley are RFAs at the end of the year, I'm fine waiting to see what happens until then. No need to rush things for the sake of rushing.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

His first year in NA atmosphere, smaller rink and sink him ECHL without goaltender coach is ****ing pathetic job by our coaching stuff and Army.

Come here Finland and try to speak finnish and get use to totally different culture, not speaking about you get dumped minor league without any coaching stuff what you get use to have in your own country. Its like they take away all the ground what Husso get use to in Finland and just throwed him in to 'wolves', he'll okey there. Should be alarming when Husso is giving that kind of interview about Blues and how they handled things.

I wouldn't compare other goaltenders who has been in ECHL to Husso. Looks like Halak is only who came from europe and get it done.

Saros struggled big time when he came to NA, but he eventually worked out in AHL and this year he has even played NHL level. Saros and Husso are both same same age group and Finland best goaltenders in that age, but Nashville get him 1-year earlier in to NA and work with him how you should do if you've that caliber goaltender prospect.

Tupelo

Come On You Spurs
Nov 28, 2007
St. Louis
I still don't understand why people want to dump one of Binnington/Copley when they are both perfectly good goaltenders in their own right, simply for the sake of clearing room for an unproven goaltender that's had a really rough start to the year. People whine in here all the time about prospect management, I just don't see how dumping either (a) a goalie you've invested almost 6 years in, or (b) the best goalie we have in our prospect pipeline right now... I don't see how that's handling our prospects well. Husso's a big boy, he's not going to demand a trade to the Blackhawks because he had to spend some time in Independence. His numbers are starting to come back around, and he's for sure getting more ice time with the Mavs than he would splitting time in Chicago.

Binnington and Copley are RFAs at the end of the year, I'm fine waiting to see what happens until then. No need to rush things for the sake of rushing.

I don't know if this is response to my comments, but I agree with you and I'm not advocating dumping either of Binnington or Copley. I was more advocating letting Husso stay in Finland one more year against stronger competition than he is seeing now. It would allow us to evaluate Binnington and Copley this year and make a decision on them at the end of this year when, as you stated, both are RFAs. I guess I just see more value in Husso playing against better competition in Finland, then I do having him get acclimated to NA hockey in the ECHL (especially when he is going to have to go through at least a year in the AHL anyways).

Just to be sure, that was an option, right? Does Husso signing an ELC prevent him from being able to play in Finland?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

If Copley and Binnington are perfectly good goaltenders, why did we trade for Anders Nilsson last season? Management is not comfortable giving either even a couple NHL games. We had both called up last season before we traded for 'ders, but neither was given a start. Copley is almost 25. I know goalies bloom later, but if he is not ready for a back-up role in the NHL at 25 soon, will he ever be?

Also, the rush is that Husso, who is the best goalie prospect in our pipeline, is apparently not happy and not getting the proper coaching/facilities. This could hurt his development. He is learning the NA game on his own. Other goalies played in the ECHL (but very few for any length of time as I pointed out previously), but we don't know what their coaching situation was. We do know that Husso feels he does not have adequate guidance as he learns the NA game.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Elliot wasn't always as positionally sound as when he entered the league. He work on his positional game to the point that it became an asset. There are many goalie that have improved in this area. See Dubnyk as another example.

If Allen can work on that aspect and work on his mental resiliency, then he has a chance to be a solid starter.

This is true and I agree to an extent. But Elliott wasn't just handed the reigns as clear-cut starter for a Stanley Cup contender before he became positionally sound. Nor was Dubnyk. Edmonton, a bottom dweller, dumped Dubs. Ottawa, a middling playoff team dumped Ells. We dumped our better goalie, signed a barely capable back-up and are playing Allen every game we can. We also signed him to a long-term contract worth starter money (low-end, sure, but still starter salary), and we did it a year before we needed to. If we need to wait until he improves his positioning, why not make him the back-up, keep Ells as the starter, and tell Allen you need to improve your positioning to get the reigns next year. Instead we anoint him before he is ready and have no viable options if he doesn't step up.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I don't know if this is response to my comments, but I agree with you and I'm not advocating dumping either of Binnington or Copley. I was more advocating letting Husso stay in Finland one more year against stronger competition than he is seeing now. It would allow us to evaluate Binnington and Copley this year and make a decision on them at the end of this year when, as you stated, both are RFAs. I guess I just see more value in Husso playing against better competition in Finland, then I do having him get acclimated to NA hockey in the ECHL (especially when he is going to have to go through at least a year in the AHL anyways).

Just to be sure, that was an option, right? Does Husso signing an ELC prevent him from being able to play in Finland?

Not technically. The Blues are in control of where he plays. But they are allowed to loan him to a Finnish team in any of their leagues. But, I really believe that The Blues felt that it is better to Have Husso get used to the North American game THIS season, than to send him back to Finland, just to have him play in a league facing more advanced offences, and face shooters with more skill.

As far as the goaltender coach availability, I don't know what The Blues have available, other than the coach that works in Camp. Certainly, they don't have one stationed with The Mavs during the season. But, couldn't they have Brodeur work with him for a week, if he or they think he needs some help?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
As far as the goaltender coach availability, I don't know what The Blues have available, other than the coach that works in Camp. Certainly, they don't have one stationed with The Mavs during the season. But, couldn't they have Brodeur work with him for a week, if he or they think he needs some help?

https://www.nhl.com/blues/team/front-office

There is written that Ty Conklin is Blues Goalie Development Coach, but looks like he hasn't worked with Husso after prospect camp what was in summer. Ofc this is all refering to that Husso's interview.

He's young goaltender who has relies on his goaltender coach Jan Lundell back in Finland. Blues weren't clearly ready for new high end prospect who would need coaching help when transition in to smaller rink etc. Btw Husso has talked in some other interview that they had in HIFK mental coach too, he told it was big impact his game too when he changed his game to pro hockey and take everything seriously.

Blues coaching staff need to prioritize their job for young prospects.

We wouldn't have this odd situation (three gaoltenders) if Army wouldn't acquire Copley in first place, but that discussion belongs to other thread not here.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
https://www.nhl.com/blues/team/front-office

There is written that Ty Conklin is Blues Goalie Development Coach, but looks like he hasn't worked with Husso after prospect camp what was in summer. Ofc this is all refering to that Husso's interview.

He's young goaltender who has relies on his goaltender coach Jan Lundell back in Finland. Blues weren't clearly ready for new high end prospect who would need coaching help when transition in to smaller rink etc. Btw Husso has talked in some other interview that they had in HIFK mental coach too, he told it was big impact his game too when he changed his game to pro hockey and take everything seriously.

Blues coaching staff need to prioritize their job for young prospects.

We wouldn't have this odd situation (three gaoltenders) if Army wouldn't acquire Copley in first place, but that discussion belongs to other thread not here.

FWIW, Conklin has been in Independence a few times at least. He's not here regularly (as in every week), but there's been a few times.

It's entirely possible that the organization isn't as clueless as you seem to think they are.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
This is true and I agree to an extent. But Elliott wasn't just handed the reigns as clear-cut starter for a Stanley Cup contender before he became positionally sound. Nor was Dubnyk. Edmonton, a bottom dweller, dumped Dubs. Ottawa, a middling playoff team dumped Ells. We dumped our better goalie, signed a barely capable back-up and are playing Allen every game we can. We also signed him to a long-term contract worth starter money (low-end, sure, but still starter salary), and we did it a year before we needed to. If we need to wait until he improves his positioning, why not make him the back-up, keep Ells as the starter, and tell Allen you need to improve your positioning to get the reigns next year. Instead we anoint him before he is ready and have no viable options if he doesn't step up.

I can understand seeing Allen as the future guy. I would have preferred they didn't fully commit and made him earn it. But, bringing in a lower tier backup like Hutton was a poor way to provide the needed support as he learns how to be a starter.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Husso with 33 saves in the win tonight for Chicago, including 17 in the 3rd period. We've clearly ruined him :sarcasm:

Nice! Thanks for the update. Don't worry, the people saying its a bad idea are the same people who say goalies with worse stats are better than Allen. I wouldn't take what they say about goalies to heart. They don't know very much about the position.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I can understand seeing Allen as the future guy. I would have preferred they didn't fully commit and made him earn it. But, bringing in a lower tier backup like Hutton was a poor way to provide the needed support as he learns how to be a starter.

Assuming the Blues didn't ignore Moose's trade request, what do you think they should have done for this season?

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Not technically. The Blues are in control of where he plays. But they are allowed to loan him to a Finnish team in any of their leagues. But, I really believe that The Blues felt that it is better to Have Husso get used to the North American game THIS season, than to send him back to Finland, just to have him play in a league facing more advanced offences, and face shooters with more skill.

Ty Conklin is the Blues minor league goalie coach. He splits time with the Mavericks and the Wolves.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Looks like Husso will be headed back down.

The move comes on the heels of a one-game suspension for Jordan Binnington. Binnington incurred the suspension during the Wolves’ 6-2 setback against their in-state foe, the Rockford IceHogs, on Dec. 21 – a result of his actions in the final minutes of play under AHL rule 28.1 (supplementary discipline).

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
wow, you just don't get it, don't you? :shakehead

Just yesterday weren't you assuming he'd be kept on the bench after being called up for one day? I'm excited about Husso's future, but its hard to give any of your comments much weight when they are so emotional, pessimistic and reactionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad