Player Discussion Victor Mete

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The best thing to do for his development?

• Bring him to London

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Bring him back with the first team

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The D is already bad. Imagine how atrocious it would be without Mete.

I wouldn't be pretty to watch that's for sure.. MB caught a huge break when Mete stepped up and made this Habs defense during camp this year. How MB could say his overhauled non puck moving defense was an improvement or at worst on par with last seasons defense is beyond me. Mete is looking great though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2017-10-16-%C3%A0-09.35.37.png

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
He was our best defender in that game against Toronto. He was just always in a good spot to make the play and the way he uses his body speed and stick and smarts makes his size and age pretty much irrelevant. You can tell he's getting comfortable with the nhl game and is starting to jump up into the play more often. The points will come. He looks good.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Hopefully Julien keeps letting him to play versus tough competition and doesn't toss him on the third pair like against Washington to "protect him". He showed versus Toronto he can play versus top matchups and not look out of place, even when he makes mistakes his speed allows him to make up for them.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
He was our best defender in that game against Toronto. He was just always in a good spot to make the play and the way he uses his body speed and stick and smarts makes his size and age pretty much irrelevant. You can tell he's getting comfortable with the nhl game and is starting to jump up into the play more often. The points will come. He looks good.

Mete had a very good game, his play leaves one wondering whether Juulsen might have been able to play his way into the Habs lineup, had he not been injured.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Mete was part of Bergevin's plan all along!

Can't believe how Bergevin knew months ago that Mete would be Weber's partner.

Jokes aside, Bergevin should be praising the lord for Mete, since without him he'd likely be out of a job.

I knew Mete would be a stud all along. #MeteGOAT

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Mete stepping in again proves how inept Marc Bergevin is. Imagine how bad they would be had he not grabbed a spot?

Lorty

May 7, 2013
Mete would have been the perfect player to join the team when we were "contending" a few years ago. :(

Similar to how Subban joined the team during the playoffs in 2010.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Mete has been a blessing to this team, no doubt about that.

Not really surprised by his play though. Back in junior days, in London - he often squared up against McDavid. One of the only dmen to be able to skate with him.

He will only get better with more confidence too.

I think the best thing for him would be to continue playing with Weber. As Matthews said, he compliments Weber well. So i hope we dont trade for another LHD and bump him down to the 3rd pairing.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Mete never has a bad game or a bad shift, once and awhile he would make a wrong play and then he's always doing his best to correcting it. That is how he was him on London for three years and how he's playing in the NHL up til now !

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Mete has been a blessing to this team, no doubt about that.

Not really surprised by his play though. Back in junior days, in London - he often squared up against McDavid. One of the only dmen to be able to skate with him.

He will only get better with more confidence too.

I think the best thing for him would be to continue playing with Weber. As Matthews said, he compliments Weber well. So i hope we dont trade for another LHD and bump him down to the 3rd pairing.
Yeah really liking that pairing. I don't recall ever seeing a 19 year old dman ever making so few mistakes. He actually looks like he's been in the league for over 5 years

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I think it was Noah Juulsen that was going to grab that spot until he broke his foot.
Isn't Juulsen a RHD? He could take Davidson's spot and get tried on the 3rd pairing with sheltered minutes when he comes back from injury (he still has a 9 game trial).

But knowing this organization he won't take Davidson's spot.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think it was Noah Juulsen that was going to grab that spot until he broke his foot.

Juulsen is a RHD and wasn't expected to make the team this season either.

Bergevin often referred to Schlemko as the solution and a possible partner for Weber... Right now he's probably going to slot on the 3rd pair due to Mete's emergence.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I wouldn't be pretty to watch that's for sure.. MB caught a huge break when Mete stepped up and made this Habs defense during camp this year. How MB could say his overhauled non puck moving defense was an improvement or at worst on par with last seasons defense is beyond me. Mete is looking great though.

Based on most of his acquisitions over almost 6 years on job I cannot say I am surprised. I always scratch my head with the players that he targets, they almost always seem to be not what we need. He basically got rid of any defender that could skate with the puck on his stick as if we couldn't use that on this team. He also has the greatest admiration for the untalented but character type of grinder like we don't already have enough. I actually tried to believe that he might have some kind of plan but this summer put the final nail in that coffin. I said all summer that this was not a contending team and I never understood the views of those that saw otherwise and it has nothing to do with being positive or negative, just being honest about the job he is doing.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So what do you guys think, his 9 games is coming fast, stay up or go down?

Despite the record, I stay keep him up. He's played quite well and I think he has earned his spot.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
With how he’s been playing there is a very good argument for keeping him up and seeing what he can do with the whole season.
But;
With how the teams been playing there is a very good argument for not wasting his first year on what’s looking to be a bad season and sending him down so he can grow some more in the AHL.(sorry, OHL)

Last edited:

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
With how he’s been playing there is a very good argument for keeping him up and seeing what he can do with the whole season.
But;
With how the teams been playing there is a very good argument for not wasting his first year on what’s looking to be a bad season and sending him down so he can grow some more in the AHL.

It's definitely something to consider but I'm pretty sure it's nhl or ohl and the ahl isn't an option. But looking how good he's playing in the nhl I question how much more he has to learn at the ohl level. I think we need to look at what's best for his development and staying up and playing with Weber might be it

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
But;
With how the teams been playing there is a very good argument for not wasting his first year on what’s looking to be a bad season and sending him down so he can grow some more in the AHL.

It is a good question to ask. If the only concern is that if it's a lost season, why burn 1 year of his deal? Because if it's a question about playing at the bottom of the NHL or the bottom of the OHL (where London finds itself), then it might be better if he stays in the NHL. At least losing in the NHL, he's still around pros, he can see what it's like playing against the best in the league. And so far, he's faced every team's top line playing alongside Weber and he does not seem fazed in the least. He plays like he belongs.

But the concern is if it's worth burning a year on his deal if he stays. Personally, I don't mind him burning a year. And concerning the WJC, the Habs can still give him permission to go if Team Canada is sure that they want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad