Waived: [VGK] Golden Knights claim F Raphael Lavoie off waivers from the Oilers | Back to Waivers

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'm sure it was an element covering their own butts - put two claims hoping they'll get one if not the other, and no skin off their teeth if they get both (especially with ZAR being exposed at the same time)

Though, I'm sure there's the slight relief seeing Edmonton turn around and sign another guy if they do want to try and slip Lavoie through (but Edmonton is only at 43 contracts anyway, so not that much of a limiting factor)

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Tbh you’re looking waaaay too much into it. Wright’s contract and specific cap number is to optimize the Oilers’ cap situation with Kane LTIR

But this entire paragraph was entertaining to read lol
I’m not “looking”, or “reading into” anything at all. Lol.

It’s what they’re actually trying to do AGAIN..

Lavoie was literally put back on waivers today, with the intentions of him reporting to Henderson IF he clears. They never had any intentions of him playing in Vegas this week.

It’s flat out what their plan was, and it worked last year with Denisenko.

This is the shrewdest front office in the league..

They knew exactly what they were doing, and I’ll wager today, they’ll do it again next year to someone else. It’s a move we used to see years and years ago, but managers became too nice over the years.

They have nothing to lose trying to improve their AHL squad again this year, trying the same move that worked last year.

This was 100% planned.

We’re now gonna find out how much Edmonton really likes Lavoie or not. Teams have internal limits, contract plans, etc, etc. Vegas is banking that the Oilers signing of Wright yesterday, was only done because Vegas claimed Lavoie, so they gave HIS contract to Wright.

We’ll find out tomorrow. The Oilers already showed they were willing to put him on waivers and lose him. Are they now willing to have an extra contract, just to have him play in Bakersfield? We’ll see.

I think it’s great. GM warfare used to be fun like this. Back in the day, managers wouldn’t reclaim a player, even if they wanted to. They weren’t gonna let their rival GM dictate a personnel move. In this case, the reactionary signing of Wright, and I guarantee whoever Vegas tries doing this to next year, probably won’t be handing out an extra contract so fast. At least not for a few days. Lol.

The NHLPA loves it too. An extra player got an NHL contract out of this, if Edmonton reclaims Lavoie. This entire carrying of 43-45 players rather than 48-50, is a major concern for the NHLPA.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024

Lavoie was literally put back on waivers today, with the intentions of him reporting to Henderson IF he clears. They never had any intentions of him playing in Vegas this week.

They knew exactly what they were doing, and I’ll wager today, they’ll do it again next year to someone else. It’s a move we used to see years and years ago, but managers became too nice over the years.

They have nothing to lose trying to improve their AHL squad again this year, trying the same move that worked last year.

This was 100% planned.

We’re now gonna find out how much Edmonton really likes Lavoie or not. Teams have internal limits, contract plans, etc, etc. Vegas is banking that the Oilers signing of Wright yesterday, was only done because Vegas claimed Lavoie, so they gave HIS contract to Wright.

We’ll find out tomorrow. The Oilers already showed they were willing to put him on waivers and lose him. Are they now willing to have an extra contract, just to have him play in Bakersfield? We’ll see.

I think it’s great. GM warfare used to be fun like this. Back in the day, managers wouldn’t reclaim a player, even if they wanted to. They weren’t gonna let their rival GM dictate a personnel move. In this case, the reactionary signing of Wright, and I guarantee whoever Vegas tries doing this to next year, probably won’t be handing out an extra contract so fast. At least not for a few days. Lol.

The NHLPA loves it too. An extra player got an NHL contract out of this, if Edmonton reclaims Lavoie. This entire carrying of 43-45 players rather than 48-50, is a major concern for the NHLPA.

This is a whole lot of words for "Vegas put in two claims and didn't expect to get both but now I want them AND me to sound like 2000 IQ geniouses".

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024
Vegas did this on purpose and it’s pretty sneaky actually. They target a player, and if they get him late in the waiver line, they’re hoping the team they claimed the player from, will make a reactionary signing immediately. Which Edmonton did. Then they think they won’t reclaim him, and they’ll add an AHL player with upside.

They did this same exact thing with Denisenko last year, and everyone expected Florida would reclaim him as well, but chose NOT to.

Edmonton did hand his contract to AHLer Cameron Wright yesterday as well.

So Vegas is playing games, thinking because Edmonton signed Wright yesterday, in what they think was a reactionary move to losing Lavoie, they’re banking on the Oilers now NOT reclaiming him, and don’t expect anyone else to either.

It’s a sneaky thing to do, but looks like the Oilers may have given his internal contract away already. We’ll find out tomorrow.

The Oilers only have 44

This was 100% planned.

Wright was signed to maximize the LTIR pool. No other reason. With Wright and Savoie sent down and Dermott signed, the Oilers have over a million in cap space available and 21 players on the active roster.

They also have 5 contract slots available and can send Lavoie directly to Bakersfeild. Any other team that claims him has to keep him on a NHL roster. The Oilers can fit him on the main roster or send him to the AHL and have the space to do either.

They also have a billionaire owner who didn't give a rats ass about signing Josh Brown to a 3 year x 1 million contract to play in the AHL, and certainly doesn't care about paying Lavoie $775000. I'm sure there are teams that would not want to add another player and another $750K. The Oilers are not one of them.

Vegas claimed two players and only has space for 1 of them. That's all that really happened.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Vegas claims Lavoie
Vegas to Lavoie “tell us about McDavid”
Lavoie to Vegas “get bent”
Lavoie back to waivers

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So Oilers lose Broberg, Holloway, and Lavoie for nothing. That's not exactly a clinic on asset management...

Lavoie was on waivers last season too. Plenty of late first / early second rounders from the 2019 draft just went on waivers in the past week, so I think you're making it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Similar statement would be like criticizing Florida for losing Grigori Denisenko for nothing, but I would think most of their fans didn't lose much sleep over that one; Vegas also claimed Denisenko and immediately waived him in order to get him onto their AHL roster.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Vegas did this on purpose and it’s pretty sneaky actually. They target a player, and if they get him late in the waiver line, they’re hoping the team they claimed the player from, will make a reactionary signing immediately. Which Edmonton did. Then they think they won’t reclaim him, and they’ll add an AHL player with upside.

They did this same exact thing with Denisenko last year, and everyone expected Florida would reclaim him as well, but chose NOT to.

Edmonton did hand his contract to AHLer Cameron Wright yesterday as well.

So Vegas is playing games, thinking because Edmonton signed Wright yesterday, in what they think was a reactionary move to losing Lavoie, they’re banking on the Oilers now NOT reclaiming him, and don’t expect anyone else to either.

It’s a sneaky thing to do, but looks like the Oilers may have given his internal contract away already. We’ll find out tomorrow.
Edmonton’s playing its own games though. The Wright deal is fully buriable and by having him on the roster for opening day, they come as close to maxing out their LTIR benefit as they can. Lavoie’s deal didn’t get them as close as they wanted and they sent him down before they signed Wright. Wright wasn’t some panic signing from losing Lavoie. Something would have to go horrifically wrong for him to see NHL minutes. He got 952 and change because Edmonton had 952053 in cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Positive

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Edmonton is on a mission to lose every U-25 player in their system this year

Checks out. Plan worked.

1728432694847.png

North

Jun 25, 2009

This was 100% planned.

You really want to believe they’re the smartest guys in the room.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I realize Lavoie isn't some world beater but man, the Oilers have lost a good chunk of future talent from their organization in Holloway, Broberg and Lavoie. Not to mention the cheap, quality depth they provide.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I realize Lavoie isn't some world beater but man, the Oilers have lost a good chunk of future talent from their organization in Holloway, Broberg and Lavoie. Not to mention the cheap, quality depth they provide.
There's a good chance Lavoie is back with the Oilers tomorrow.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

This was 100% planned.

That's a lot of word salad just to fluff up VGK management, so just to correct things Wright was not signed as a reaction to Lavoie it had everything to do to the exact amount to maximize our LTIR capspace when Evander Kane gets put on LTIR (and we did just that today) along with sending down Savoie and Wright to maximize our caproom.

Also Bowman already hit the radio and said Lavoie was in our plans and sounds very much like we have every intention of claiming him right back.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
vegas thought he was savoie.

many such cases.
À la Jeff Finger signed by Toronto to a 4-year $14M contract by the Leafs in 2008 ?

$3.5M on a $57.6M salary cap is equivalent to $5.34M on a $88M salary cap.

But at least they were able to fully bury his cap in the AHL for the last 2 years.

I can't for the sake of me remember the name of the player that Cliff Fletcher Jr. thought he was signing according to the rumors...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Of all the young players Edmonton has given up on I can't recall a single one that has pissed a drop on another team. Not like the days of losing Miroslov Satan and

1. Ethan Bear
2. Yamamoto
4. Lagesson
5. PUljujarvi
6. Caleb Jones

Jury is out on.
1. Reid Schaffer - Young, still lots of deliberation
2. Kesselring - I hear he's done quite will for himself in Arizona so maybe him?
3. Holloway - I'm really interested to see how he does with a much weaker forward depth team. Unique circumstance though.
4. Broberg - Another player I'm interested to see for obvious reasons. Unique circumstance though.
5. Bourgault - I'd be surprised if he amounts to anything in the NHL.

This list is more of a shot at Edmonton's piss poor drafting and development. They've sucked balls at it for the last 20 years.
We produce shit.. you should stay away from our young players haha.
While true, for all those guys on your first list losing them was spread out and they were pretty much busts by that point. Every franchise is going to have a list of players like that.

The case of this off season is a bit different because it's a lot of young players all at once and not really intentionally and with much higher stakes as Edmonton is coming off a Cup finals appearance and expects to be there again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad