Bettman (& Utah's Smith) on ESPN's season opening the Point

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Ryan Smith is a great owner for the NHL. It's a breath of fresh air getting good owner the last few years. I'm used to gloriified sport fan millionaires tryingt o squeeze a NHL team they coudln't foot the bill for completely.

Reactions: Reaser

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ryan Smith is a great owner for the NHL. It's a breath of fresh air getting good owner the last few years. I'm used to gloriified sport fan millionaires tryingt o squeeze a NHL team they coudln't foot the bill for completely.

I have my concerns. Just part of his business plans he has put forward is slightly off side

He said he was not asking for any money but yet he ended up doing it and then saying with that giant complex he is building that he would get all the tax that usually would go to the state or city--I found that interesting

He is getting a lot of help from government

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I have my concerns. Just part of his business plans he has put forward is slightly off side

He said he was not asking for any money but yet he ended up doing it and then saying with that giant complex he is building that he would get all the tax that usually would go to the state or city--I found that interesting

He is getting a lot of help from government
Eh... to be fair, a lot of franchise owners do their level best to leverage local/state governments to get exactly what they want. Not that it makes any of that right, it's just what happens. Just ask the folks in Calgary about their new arena project.

As for the business plan, not everyone can be David Thomson. The league seems happy with Smith's plan, otherwise he wouldn't be the owner right now.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Eh... to be fair, a lot of franchise owners do their level best to leverage local/state governments to get exactly what they want. Not that it makes any of that right, it's just what happens. Just ask the folks in Calgary about their new arena project.

As for the business plan, not everyone can be David Thomson. The league seems happy with Smith's plan, otherwise he wouldn't be the owner right now.

But and this for me is a BIG BUT

He original announcement was that it would ALL be privately paid for. For me and me alone. I am seeing warning signs about how this guys does business.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
But and this for me is a BIG BUT

He original announcement was that it would ALL be privately paid for. For me and me alone. I am seeing warning signs about how this guys does business.
You also never know if the various governments approached him about a deal so that they could get more revenue in their coffers.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You also never know if the various governments approached him about a deal so that they could get more revenue in their coffers.

Here is the thing. I am still digging through the stuff on line--One of his requests, that I am not sure if it was allowed, was that his company would collect and keep all the taxes raised in that one area, year round

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Here is the thing. I am still digging through the stuff on line--One of his requests, that I am not sure if it was allowed, was that his company would collect and keep all the taxes raised in that one area, year round
I could see him getting tax credits or something to offset any potential taxes, but no corporation or individual is allowed to collect taxes of their own accord. That is strictly a governmental thing. But if you were to say that Smith wants to forgo any entertainment or ticket taxes on his entities in favor of collecting all of the parking/concession/ticket fees...that's very plausible.

I'm sure the whole thing is super convoluted and he probably misspoke a bit about how the development of any arenas and such was to occur.

I just always assume that there is some government involvement because there is usually some kind of monies that would be collected by the locality that wouldn't normally be available, or perhaps an increase in revenues from more people going to the Delta Center (or future venue). But you can be pretty sure that the future Utah arena is being built with government money, because it's coming from the Winter Olympics bid and Smith couldn't even consider submitting or heading up a bid for a Winter Olympics with out State and local governments "backing" him in some way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad