Proposal: Vatanen to EDM for Yakupov, Nurse

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Only because he'll be attacking our players for doing nothing when the Oilers are losing, just like he did against Polak.

Yeah and the Sharks "lesson" they sent back sure worked. Had his best game of the year afterwards.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
You know bro, I'm on the same page. I have zero interest in even possibly helping you out.

Your bottom 6 is weak and ripe to be conquered. **** helping you out. Honestly, after the SJS debacle with Polak and Haley, I view California as the enemy. It's funny, our sorrow with no playoff teams has changed my hate. I actually want CGY and VAN to be good teams and battle them in the playoffs.

Time for Cali to get conquered. The real "Death Valley" is Western Canada during -30 C weather in the dead of winter. Cold weather, away from home, facing a barbaric crowd. The team itself has skill and toughness for days. We're done bowing to you and the arrogance directed at us. You lucked into being fans of a good team, our love of hockey is beyond comprehension.

Think you were loud during your era? A northern Alberta crowd playing for Lord Stanley is a crowd in a trance. We've endured more than the sunshine fans could endure. Ever wore skates? Actually been on the ice outside?

You're done bullying the Oilers. ANA can be conquered. SJS are the kings of the Pacific. You aren't in their class. We can fight you, this new Oiler team entering a new arena should have no respect or thoughts of bowing down against your team. Your bottom 6 will be exposed, ANA doesn't have that same aura you used to.

**** any deals involving ANA and EDM.

Getting awfully personal. All of a sudden you're making it seem like Alberta and California are literally at war with each other and that we're a bunch of poodles because we can wear shorts on what we consider a cold day. We didn't luck in to being fans of a good team any more than Edmonton fans lucked in to five of seven Stanley Cups. That's just how sports are. I'm not really sure why you are trying to prosecute us for being fans of a currently good team. It's just our turn of the cycle. Hell, you are calling us arrogant bullies but the way you talk, you're already arrogant and bullying before you have even "conquered" us.

Honestly, you may have pulled a fast one on me. I'm kind of embarrassed that all of that was a character and you're being sarcastic or something. I was pretty invested and in agreement with a lot of the level headed opinion you had up to that post.

Regardless, good luck to you and Edmonton. You've put up with enough for the last decade, I'm sure.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
You know bro, I'm on the same page. I have zero interest in even possibly helping you out.

Your bottom 6 is weak and ripe to be conquered. **** helping you out. Honestly, after the SJS debacle with Polak and Haley, I view California as the enemy. It's funny, our sorrow with no playoff teams has changed my hate. I actually want CGY and VAN to be good teams and battle them in the playoffs.

Time for Cali to get conquered. The real "Death Valley" is Western Canada during -30 C weather in the dead of winter. Cold weather, away from home, facing a barbaric crowd. The team itself has skill and toughness for days. We're done bowing to you and the arrogance directed at us. You lucked into being fans of a good team, our love of hockey is beyond comprehension.

Think you were loud during your era? A northern Alberta crowd playing for Lord Stanley is a crowd in a trance. We've endured more than the sunshine fans could endure. Ever wore skates? Actually been on the ice outside?

You're done bullying the Oilers. ANA can be conquered. SJS are the kings of the Pacific. You aren't in their class. We can fight you, this new Oiler team entering a new arena should have no respect or thoughts of bowing down against your team. Your bottom 6 will be exposed, ANA doesn't have that same aura you used to.

**** any deals involving ANA and EDM.

So many personal attacks in one post it's unbelievable. :laugh: You need to calm down a bit.

Talk **** once the Oilers actually get out of the basement, until then show some maturity.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
With ANA posturing to sign #1 Dman Lindholm and a pretty stacked-looking defense heading forward, this deal would

a) open up room for a Lindholm+Rakell signing
b) Give ANA a young cheap left-shooting winger to address poor depth on that side (with untapped potential)
c) A young stud-in-the-making in Nurse

The Oilers get:

a) the proven 2nd pairing RHD PP QB they've been looking for
b) end the Yakupov saga
c) effectively open up the 2RW spot for Pulujarvi, fill 3RW hole with a FA/trade

Any takers?

ANA roster after trade and signings:

Yakupov(2.5)
-Getzlaf-Perry
Rakell-Kesler-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Vermette-Cogliano

Lindholm-Despres
Fowler-Bieksa
Nurse(0.9)-Stoner

Oilers roster after trade and signings:

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Lucic-Draisaitl-JP
Pouliot-RNH-Boyes/Pirri(1M)
Hendricks-Lestestu-Kassian/Pakirinen

Sekera-Larsson
Klefbom-Vatanen(4.875)
Davidson-Fayne/Oesterle

I think both teams win both now and in the long-term heading into next season. Thoughts?

when ever cap situation pop up for teams (any team) and they need to sign a young upcoming/already good player , the team finds a way

why hasn't hf boards learned this yet?

Ducks will find a way to keep Lindholm and if they believe in Rakell they will sign him too , either through buy-outs or trades (even though some will say its impossible to move out certain contracts) it has happen before , i think will it happen again

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Nurse and Yakupov...still a no on that one.

No to Montour for Yakupov. Unless Yakupov is capable to turning his **** around, I'd rather keep Montour. I'd be more likely to agree to it if it meant we could ship off Bieksa or Stoner.

I doubt Bieksa would waive to come to Edmonton as some other Ducks' fans have stated but IMO the Oilers could work in Stoner. His deal lapses the same time McDavid and Nurse are done their ELCs.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Defensemen I'd obsess about from the Pacific Division:

Doughty
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

...that's it.

Nurse doesn't make that list. I don't anticipate he will ever make that list.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want him on the team, but I'd rate him below Fowler and Lindholm in the long-term, and I'd rate him below Vatanen in the short-term. There are a lot of extremely talented defensemen who aren't worth obsessing over. What separates Nurse from them? He could very well end up being a slightly better Despres. Am I supposed to obsess over that?

Burns. Can you imaging a top pairing of Lindholm and Burns?

But not Nurse.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
when ever cap situation pop up for teams (any team) and they need to sign a young upcoming/already good player , the team finds a way

why hasn't hf boards learned this yet?

Ducks will find a way to keep Lindholm and if they believe in Rakell they will sign him too , either through buy-outs or trades (even though some will say its impossible to move out certain contracts) it has happen before , i think will it happen again

And how do you propose they buy someone out, aren't buyout windows closed

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
And how do you propose they buy someone out, aren't buyout windows closed

Yes, the buyout windows have passed so they are going to have to make trades where they bring back less salary then they send out.
Contrary to what a great many Duck fans believe this won't be easy.
There are no budget teams that haven't already made the cap floor and there are many other teams with their own cap ceiling issues.
The few teams with cap space who may be willing to take on more salary such as Stoner or Despres(for 5 years after missing a large part of last year with a concussion) are going to have many other teams looking to sweeten potential deals to allow them to dump salary.
They can sit back and field offers and when the music stops Anaheim may get to keep their own assets they value SO highly.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Burns. Can you imaging a top pairing of Lindholm and Burns?

But not Nurse.
Lindholm and Brodie are also great young #1 defenseman as well. Shut up Nuck fans; no one cares about Tanev or Edler :laugh:

The Ducks will be making a move before the season starts to free up space but I doubt it involves Vatanen or Lindholm

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm indifferent.

Fixes all of our blueline woes... but at the same time we have to play up against Nurse in the future a whole lot..

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
At this point what is Yakupov's value? Does he really slot in to Anh.'s 1st line? Isn't Nurse one of those guys you should hold on to unless you get blown away.

I like Vat's a lot, I'd love to have him on the Rangers but I'm not sure he is that guy.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
With ANA posturing to sign #1 Dman Lindholm and a pretty stacked-looking defense heading forward, this deal would

b) Give ANA a young cheap left-shooting winger to address poor depth on that side (with untapped potential)

The Oilers get:

b) end the Yakupov saga
c) effectively open up the 2RW spot for Pulujarvi, fill 3RW hole with a FA/trade

Any takers?

Yakupov(2.5)
-Getzlaf-Perry

Lindholm-Despres
Fowler-Bieksa
Nurse(0.9)-Stoner

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Lucic-Draisaitl-JP

Sekera-Larsson
Klefbom-Vatanen(4.875)
Davidson-Fayne/Oesterle

I think both teams win both now and in the long-term heading into next season. Thoughts?

Trading Vatanen after just having signed him would be a dick move.

I like Nurse, but we're pretty stacked with LHDs.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Anaheim fans are not interested, and I think Oiler fans are not that interested either. My question is how does this thread get 5 pages.

Nurse will be a beast and Vatanen will score 50 points at some point in the future and both teams will be glad they didn't make a move like this.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Anaheim fans are not interested, and I think Oiler fans are not that interested either. My question is how does this thread get 5 pages.

Nurse will be a beast and Vatanen will score 50 points at some point in the future and both teams will be glad they didn't make a move like this.

Shouldn't even be a thread in the first place, common sense says Vatanen and his brand new extension aren't going anywhere in the near future.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Getting awfully personal. All of a sudden you're making it seem like Alberta and California are literally at war with each other and that we're a bunch of poodles because we can wear shorts on what we consider a cold day. We didn't luck in to being fans of a good team any more than Edmonton fans lucked in to five of seven Stanley Cups. That's just how sports are. I'm not really sure why you are trying to prosecute us for being fans of a currently good team. It's just our turn of the cycle. Hell, you are calling us arrogant bullies but the way you talk, you're already arrogant and bullying before you have even "conquered" us.

Honestly, you may have pulled a fast one on me. I'm kind of embarrassed that all of that was a character and you're being sarcastic or something. I was pretty invested and in agreement with a lot of the level headed opinion you had up to that post.

Regardless, good luck to you and Edmonton. You've put up with enough for the last decade, I'm sure.

Yeah, it was tongue-in-cheek and more sarcastic than I should have been. A few emoji's might have helped :laugh:. Sorry, if that was read as being 100% serious it shouldn't have been.

But in all seriousness, I hope we can develop a good rivalry. You guys have kicked our ass for the last decade so it's hard to have a rivalry when one side is winning all the time.

Some of the Nurse stuff I'm surprised by, just in terms of your guys view on him by some. Especially considering you guys have for the most part one of the more knowledgeable fan bases and are used to seeing good young D. Nurse was thrown to the wolves playing over 20+ min/game with no support.

I think eventually you guys will like Nurses game. Unlike many of our previous soft young players, Nurse actually has bite to his game. All of that "low hockey IQ" talk is a myth. Nurse is a smart kid (he was the Scholastic Player of the Year in the OHL). He was also by far the most dominant Dman for Team Canada at the 2015 WJC (Theo was on the same team).

Any young D man would have struggled if they had to endure the unsheltered minutes he did last year. Plus, as you know young D men take time to develop, significantly longer than forwards at the same age. Right now, obviously he's behind Vatanen and needs to improve his game significantly. But he's worth the wait for us, don't you think?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Only because he'll be attacking our players for doing nothing when the Oilers are losing, just like he did against Polak.

I was being a bit sarcastic earlier because that's all you want to focus on. Nurse is just a big goon meat head with no hockey IQ, right? Can only fight?

Well, he was the Scholastic Player of the Year in the OHL. Intelligent, articulate kid. Comes from a good family, his dad played pro football in the CFL. Sister is an Olympic Basketball player for Team Canada at the 2016 Rio Games.

What is getting forgotten here and over looked is how gifted of a skater he is. Here check this out, begins roughly around 0:52.

[NHL]937304[/NHL]

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
I understand that Edmonton isn't willing to give up Nurse. How about Yakupov for Vatanen with just picks as a plus. Vatanen is a luxury the Ducks don't need to be a contender. Fowler/Lindholm can easily up their production worth of what ever the drop in production will be when substituting Theodore to Vatanen (if any).

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yeah, it was tongue-in-cheek and more sarcastic than I should have been. A few emoji's might have helped :laugh:. Sorry, if that was read as being 100% serious it shouldn't have been.

But in all seriousness, I hope we can develop a good rivalry. You guys have kicked our ass for the last decade so it's hard to have a rivalry when one side is winning all the time.

Some of the Nurse stuff I'm surprised by, just in terms of your guys view on him by some. Especially considering you guys have for the most part one of the more knowledgeable fan bases and are used to seeing good young D. Nurse was thrown to the wolves playing over 20+ min/game with no support.

I think eventually you guys will like Nurses game. Unlike many of our previous soft young players, Nurse actually has bite to his game. All of that "low hockey IQ" talk is a myth. Nurse is a smart kid (he was the Scholastic Player of the Year in the OHL). He was also by far the most dominant Dman for Team Canada at the 2015 WJC (Theo was on the same team).

Any young D man would have struggled if they had to endure the unsheltered minutes he did last year. Plus, as you know young D men take time to develop, significantly longer than forwards at the same age. Right now, obviously he's behind Vatanen and needs to improve his game significantly. But he's worth the wait for us, don't you think?

Nurse - Theo was a dominant pairing, you saying Nurse was by far the best is nothing but an opinion.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse - Theo was a dominant pairing, you saying Nurse was by far the best is nothing but an opinion.

Gold medal game? Nurse dominated. He was unquestionably the best D man on the ice. Theo was awesome though, I didn't mean that as a slight against him. I love Theo, I want to see him on Team Canada come 2022 or 2026 Olympics.

It was a general point, can you at least admit saying "lol Nurse" is not reasonable?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Since we're debating the 2015 WJC Gold Medal Game. How was this from Darnell? My apologies if the video shows up in slow motion. It's the only one I could find of this example I was looking for.

For context -- The Russian who Nurse is battling is 6'5 220 lbs. Both taller and heavier than him, does well for himself don't you think?

mytduxfan*

I understand that Edmonton isn't willing to give up Nurse. How about Yakupov for Vatanen with just picks as a plus. Vatanen is a luxury the Ducks don't need to be a contender. Fowler/Lindholm can easily up their production worth of what ever the drop in production will be when substituting Theodore to Vatanen (if any).

No. That's terrible. The return is going to be something that hurts EDM, not just failed prospects and supporting players. Picks do nothing for us. We're pushing win.

I've said it already, but something around Drai is what I'd want for Vatanen. You can scoff at it and say "Vatanen isn't worth Drai", but that's exactly the response I need from EDM fans for me to even consider moving Vatanen there.

Gold medal game? Nurse dominated. He was unquestionably the best D man on the ice. Theo was awesome though, I didn't mean that as a slight against him. I love Theo, I want to see him on Team Canada come 2022 or 2026 Olympics.

It was a general point, can you at least admit saying "lol Nurse" is not reasonable?

Yes, "Lol Nurse" is not reasonable.

Since we're debating the 2015 WJC Gold Medal Game. How was this from Darnell? My apologies if the video shows up in slow motion. It's the only one I could find of this example I was looking for.

For context -- The Russian who Nurse is battling is 6'5 220 lbs. Both taller and heavier than him, does well for himself don't you think?

I don't think anyone is questioning Nurse's physical attributes. It's his hockey IQ at an NHL level that some are concerned about. It could just be that Nurse is struggling with the pace of the NHL game. However, even so, it's still rare to see players dramatically improve their decision making. If you want my opinion, I don't see Nurse being anything more then a top 4 guy.

Definitely wouldn't be interested in trading Vatanen for him.

ruhroh*

Registered Goober
Aug 1, 2016
ur place

The Oilers get:

b) end the Yakupov saga

Any takers?

Yakupov(2.5)
-Getzlaf-Perry

Lindholm-Despres
Fowler-Bieksa
Nurse(0.9)-Stoner

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Lucic-Draisaitl-JP

Sekera-Larsson
Klefbom-Vatanen(4.875)
Davidson-Fayne/Oesterle

So.. the Ducks trade one of the best pp qb's in the game, who is pretty damn solid 5v5 too mind you for a 1st round bust and Nurse who has the potential to make as much impact as Vatanen already does.
As an Oilers fan, where do I sign?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Sure I can agree with you there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad