Proposal: Vatanen to EDM for Yakupov, Nurse

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Gold medal game? Nurse dominated. He was unquestionably the best D man on the ice. Theo was awesome though, I didn't mean that as a slight against him. I love Theo, I want to see him on Team Canada come 2022 or 2026 Olympics.

It was a general point, can you at least admit saying "lol Nurse" is not reasonable?

'Lol Nurse" absolutely isn't reasonable, but this post was pretty over the top and sort of invited calling your perspective into question. This is the kind of post one makes about a generational type player.

They get hosed by fans from the East and vent against us lol side bar from the OP proposal.

Do any Duck fans want to argue that they wouldn't want Darnell Nurse on their team? If you do, you're being arrogant or have never actually played hockey. Every team in the league would love to have a 6'4 220-245 lb Dman who possesses elite skating and will battle for his team.

Darnell Nurse. Cali fans will obsess about him. Remember the name.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Love how people are blowing up nurses toughness. Ducks have Josh Manson who is just as tough and split open the oilers prized FA acquisition in big bad lucic 2X in 2 fights last season but I would rather see nurse and Manson scrap then pay for a pay per view boxing match any day of the week lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi7uYyRZZN8 (I'm having issues imbedding)

Manson was hanging on more so than fighting. Manson vs Nurse would be interesting. Nurse definitely has way more room to fill out than Manson while being 4 years younger, same size at the moment and hasn't hit that mid 20 age where guys really put on their weight and man strength.

As for the trade the last thing Anaheim needs is more young defensive depth.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I wouldn't do this, Nurse will be by far the best player in the deal. Vatanen is solid but he was getting easy matchups at evens. I see him as a Zidlicky type not a Letang type.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldn't do this, Nurse will be by far the best player in the deal. Vatanen is solid but he was getting easy matchups at evens. I see him as a Zidlicky type not a Letang type.

That's a maybe... nurse has talent but he may never meet expectations, Vatanen already meeting his expectations. From ducks perspective makes 0 sense, we'd be hoping nurse can be as impactfull as Vatanen already is and yak is a bust

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi7uYyRZZN8 (I'm having issues imbedding)

Manson was hanging on more so than fighting. Manson vs Nurse would be interesting. Nurse definitely has way more room to fill out than Manson while being 4 years younger, same size at the moment and hasn't hit that mid 20 age where guys really put on their weight and man strength.

As for the trade the last thing Anaheim needs is more young defensive depth.

Manson was hanging on for his life there and got dropped, so glad he split open our big bad lucic, really worked out well for him

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

I am continually floored by some of the HF wisdom I see here. I've also recently learned that Evgeni Malkin is old and broken and washed up so at least this isn't the strangest thing I've seen today.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I am continually floored by some of the HF wisdom I see here. I've also recently learned that Evgeni Malkin is old and broken and washed up so at least this isn't the strangest thing I've seen today.

Yep, the only other thing that's perpetually shocking on the HF boards is how quickly prospects go from 'elite' to 'also-rans'.....defense is the toughest position by far to break into in the NHL, and Darnell Nurse who is only 21 and played a couple of lousy Oiler teams--is now a guy who'll never develop and should be dealt at once along with another failed first-rounder Yakupov.:shakehead

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yep, the only other thing that's perpetually shocking on the HF boards is how quickly prospects go from 'elite' to 'also-rans'.....defense is the toughest position by far to break into in the NHL, and Darnell Nurse who is only 21 and played a couple of lousy Oiler teams--is now a guy who'll never develop and should be dealt at once along with another failed first-rounder Yakupov.:shakehead

You're going from one extreme to another. There is a great deal between an elite prospect and a bust. Nurse doesn't need to be one or the other, and right now I'm not convinced he's either.

An elite prospect has high expectations, and you do expect them to be ahead of the curve. When that isn't the case, as it is here, it's possible, but not guaranteed, that the prospect might fall short of that elite level. That doesn't make them a bad player, or a bust. It certainly doesn't make them a failed first-rounder.

Oct 18, 2011

Doubtful, Vatanen is a top 4 Dman who is a PP QB and also plays on ducks first or second PK unit frequently and an excellent shot blocker. laughable to tie him to Zidlicky you sound like you don't know who he is

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You're going from one extreme to another. There is a great deal between an elite prospect and a bust. Nurse doesn't need to be one or the other, and right now I'm not convinced he's either.

An elite prospect has high expectations, and you do expect them to be ahead of the curve. When that isn't the case, as it is here, it's possible, but not guaranteed, that the prospect might fall short of that elite level. That doesn't make them a bad player, or a bust. It certainly doesn't make them a failed first-rounder.

Sorry, but any guy who gets drafted in the top-seven, and is then dealt after only two seasons before his 22nd birthday, is well on his way to being a first-round draft 'bust' imo.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Sorry, but any guy who gets drafted in the top-seven, and is then dealt after only two seasons before his 22nd birthday, is well on his way to being a first-round draft 'bust' imo.

According to you, maybe. For the rest of the world? Probably not.

mytduxfan*

Filip Forsberg.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Doubtful, Vatanen is a top 4 Dman who is a PP QB and also plays on ducks first or second PK unit frequently and an excellent shot blocker. laughable to tie him to Zidlicky you sound like you don't know who he is

It's not a bad comparison at all. Same size, handedness, and style of player. Zidlicky has multiple 40+ point seasons. Vatanen hasn't done that yet but he will. It's far from laughable to compare the two.

Filip Forsberg.

Was Forsberg a top 7 pick?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sure I can agree with you there.

Appreciate the reasonableness. They both looked great playing together, absolutely shut teams down.

Check out this fact: Darnell Nurse and Shea Theodore were not on the ice for a single even strength goal against all tournament (link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...rse-named-player-of-gold-medal-game-1.2890931).

Totally agree Vatanen is signed to a sweetheart deal at $4.875 million for 4 years, Don't see BM moving him unless it's a deal that he just can't resist Fowler is the likely candidate to get moved.

Exactly.

Plus Vatanen is exactly what EDM needs, a RHD who can be the PP QB. ANA has no interest in giving us Vatanen to play on the PP with McDavid together when we are in the same division. Likewise, we have no interest in ANA having Nurse playing on their 2nd pairing and being a fierce shutdown Dman for the next 15 years.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
That's a maybe... nurse has talent but he may never meet expectations, Vatanen already meeting his expectations. From ducks perspective makes 0 sense, we'd be hoping nurse can be as impactfull as Vatanen already is and yak is a bust

Nurse is thus far exceeding expectations, arguably the top jr. dman in the league as a 19 year old while scoring just a touch under a ppg and being named top dman at the world juniors while not being on the ice iirc for a single goal against at evens the entire tournament while being hard matched as a shutdown guy. Last year he was 20 and played in the NHL, Sami Vatanen was playing AHL games still at 22 (nothing to be ashamed about i just mean to show that being in the NHL at 20 is a huge accomplishment). Nurse is a far more valuable player around the league i guarantee it. He was 20 and has done nothing to look like a bad pick at 7th overall. Vatanen is a good player but a guy like Nurse fills a far more valuable role going forward, he's only going to get better and he certainly did year after year in junior.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Do you know who Zidlicky is? I'm not talking about the old nearly 40 version. He was a solid player for years and years, in Nashville he was exactly what Vatanen is if not better. How can you be insulted by that? It certainly is meant to illustrate he has limitations and his main purpose is to be a 2nd pairing offensive dman but it's also a compliment.

mytduxfan*

Nurse is thus far exceeding expectations, arguably the top jr. dman in the league as a 19 year old while scoring just a touch under a ppg and being named top dman at the world juniors while not being on the ice iirc for a single goal against at evens the entire tournament while being hard matched as a shutdown guy. Last year he was 20 and played in the NHL, Sami Vatanen was playing AHL games still at 22 (nothing to be ashamed about i just mean to show that being in the NHL at 20 is a huge accomplishment). Nurse is a far more valuable player around the league i guarantee it. He was 20 and has done nothing to look like a bad pick at 7th overall. Vatanen is a good player but a guy like Nurse fills a far more valuable role going forward, he's only going to get better and he certainly did year after year in junior.

Theodore is exceeding expectations. Nurse is not exceeding expectations. Being a top 7 pick and the 2nd highest drafted D-man of his draft year, you fully expect Nurse to be playing in the NHL at 20 years of age. He's doing a fine job of meeting expectations, but he's certainly not surpassing them.

Anyway, the age at which you play in the NHL has nothing to do with value. No GM is going after a guy because he made it to the big club at the age of XX. No one cares actually. Vatanen is by far the better player right now and a proven commodity. Whilst Nurse isn't exactly a bust, I still think it's fair to say that he comes with significant risk. Vatanen doesn't. With this in mind and the fact that Vatanen plays on the RS, I'm very confident in saying that Vatanen has more value then Nurse as of today. However, that could obviously change in the future were Nurse to improve dramatically.

P.S. You cannot guarantee that Nurse will be get better. He could not.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Doesn't make sense for ANA to trades young right shooting puck moving dman. Would I live it if EDM got him yes but he is not available

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
Theodore is exceeding expectations. Nurse is not exceeding expectations. Being a top 7 pick and the 2nd highest drafted D-man of his draft year, you fully expect Nurse to be playing in the NHL at 20 years of age. He's doing a fine job of meeting expectations, but he's certainly not surpassing them.

Anyway, the age at which you play in the NHL has nothing to do with value. No GM is going after a guy because he made it to the big club at the age of XX. No one cares actually. Vatanen is by far the better player right now and a proven commodity. Whilst Nurse isn't exactly a bust, I still think it's fair to say that he comes with significant risk. Vatanen doesn't. With this in mind and the fact that Vatanen plays on the RS, I'm very confident in saying that Vatanen has more value then Nurse as of today. However, that could obviously change in the future were Nurse to improve dramatically.

P.S. You cannot guarantee that Nurse will be get better. He could not.

Nurse will be above average in a couple years, he has a passion to play. Right now he has played on a struggling team with very little stability and that should be now corrected. Vatenan, on the other hand has played on a more veteran and established team. Personally, not a chance I trade Nurse in this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad