Proposal: Vatanen to EDM for Yakupov, Nurse

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Wouldve been down for a package of Vatanen + something for the 4th. But not Vatanen got paid and the 4th has a face.

If I were edmonton I'd go after Montour or a similar prospect, get them while their value is lower.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Ok from what I saw lucic landed one punch to mansons helmet Manson landed a punch to lucic face big difference one was leaking one was not I don't care what hockey fights said I know how to judge a fight. Either way lucic got cut open by a guy in his first NHL fight. But all this boils down to is we don't need nurse for his "toughness" Manson his just as tough and is actually good at defense
Well you only represent 30% of the voters that think "Josh Manson who is just as tough and split open the oilers prized FA acquisition in big bad lucic 2X in 2 fights last season" :laugh: Maybe they were swayed by this other imaginary fight they had Probably on NHL2K where you base most of your assesments, Right?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Mainly this, but, also, the deal presented doesn't benefit ANA at all. Any deal involving Vatanen to EDM would have to involve a player that really hurts EDM. I'm not saying it's fair value, but Hall/Drai for Vatanen would be an example. For any deal to make sense to us, it really has to hurt EDM. I'm sure it would be the same if EDM was dealing anyone to ANA. Hence, it's never going to happen because neither team is willingly going to lose a trade with a divisional rival.

Exactly this. Too much risk for both. You wouldn't want Vatanen to be a PP beast with McDavid, and we wouldn't want to see Darnell grow into a menacing Dman who plays well into his mid 30s.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Well you only represent 30% of the voters that think "Josh Manson who is just as tough and split open the oilers prized FA acquisition in big bad lucic 2X in 2 fights last season" :laugh: Maybe they were swayed by this other imaginary fight they had Probably on NHL2K where you base most of your assesments, Right?

Good fight for Manson. He is tough enough for us on the Blueline and is also pretty good at playing hockey as a defenseman.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Terrible. Anaheim doesn't need another defencemen, they need scoring wingers. This trade is basically Vatanen, for Nurse. Considering yak has so little value. So the ducks are trading a 40 point defencemen, who's on a cheap contract, for a much worse defencemen.. You also have to factor in, that the ducks are competing now... They don't have time to wait for years until Nurse becomes decent. Value wise, and need wise doesn't make any sence. A more realistic trade would be Vatanen for Eberle and two seconds. Anaheim gets their scoring winger, Edmonton gets their defencemen.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nurse reminds me to much of sbisa.... all the tools no tool box. Yakupov is a wild card, to be honest both players are kinda wild cards but not worth the risk of trading vatanen. Manson is much more tough then nurse, I feel like Theodore already passed nurse development, and Montour is right on his tail and wont be surprised if Larsson passes him too.

Yakupov doesn't have much of a positive value right now, he basically is a player you would hope plays somewhat to his potential. Its basically trading a trending offensive RHD for 2 players that are flirting with bust terriotory, granted they do have potential to be useful players in the future... overall just a bad move for Anaheim.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse reminds me to much of sbisa.... all the tools no tool box. Yakupov is a wild card, to be honest both players are kinda wild cards but not worth the risk of trading vatanen. Manson is much more tough then nurse, I feel like Theodore already passed nurse development, and Montour is right on his tail and wont be surprised if Larsson passes him too.

Yakupov doesn't have much of a positive value right now, he basically is a player you would hope plays somewhat to his potential. Its basically trading a trending offensive RHD for 2 players that are flirting with bust terriotory, granted they do have potential to be useful players in the future... overall just a bad move for Anaheim.

Nurse possesses a significantly different tool set than Sbisa and is physically more gifted. He also plays a far different style of game. Nurse right now is an elite skater amongst NHL Dmen. He's still raw and needs to grow, no doubt there. With Nurse it's a long-term plan, he needs a year or two in the AHL playing heavy minutes. We need to be patient with him, he's going to be frightening by the time he's 25.

Makes no sense for ANA especially considering their depth at D. Theo will be a solid top 4 Dman. Jacob Larsson possesses the skillset and hockey intelligence to be a top pairing guy. A redundant move and it involves a divisional rival without addressing ANAs needs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nurse possesses a significantly different tool set than Sbisa and is physically more gifted. He also plays a far different style of game. Nurse right now is an elite skater amongst NHL Dmen. He's still raw and needs to grow, no doubt there. With Nurse it's a long-term plan, he needs a year or two in the AHL playing heavy minutes. We need to be patient with him, he's going to be frightening by the time he's 25.

Makes no sense for ANA especially considering their depth at D. Theo will be a solid top 4 Dman. Jacob Larsson possesses the skillset and hockey intelligence to be a top pairing guy. A redundant move and it involves a divisional rival without addressing ANAs needs.

I just meant high upside... but hasn't put it together(granted I think sbisas window closed) and I still think nurse will be a very solid dmen, maybe top pairing if the oilers let him take his time. Agree with what you said, nurse is still to me a project player that has a high ceiling if he meets it but with how our team is built we don't have time to trade impact players for project players.

And to clear up, nurse has a much higher upside/skill level the sbisa and will end up a better player... just from what ive seen on the ice he reminded me of sbisa.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I just meant high upside... but hasn't put it together(granted I think sbisas window closed) and I still think nurse will be a very solid dmen, maybe top pairing if the oilers let him take his time. Agree with what you said, nurse is still to me a project player that has a high ceiling if he meets it but with how our team is built we don't have time to trade impact players for project players.

And to clear up, nurse has a much higher upside/skill level the sbisa and will end up a better player... just from what ive seen on the ice he reminded me of sbisa.

Makes sense. Realistically, Nurse is likely 4 years away from entering his peak. His style of game will start to peak when he fully fills out into his mans body by 25ish and gets comfortable through pure experience. He's a long-term player for us. I'm not worried about him at all, not unusual for D to take more time before they reach peak performance, the trade off is they can play at a high level well into their 30s.

Honestly, most of us at HFOil are happy with Nurse being a staple on our 2nd pairing and playing a physical, take no prisoners game. Nothing wrong with him being a stalwart top 4 guy with excellent size, athleticism, elite skating, and a nasty side to his game.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
I haven't read through four pages, but this seems like one that both teams decline.

Vatanen just signed long term, those guys aren't usually dealt. Plus Anaheim's pretty deep at LHD.

And then as much as Edmonton would like a RHD puck mover, I don't see any way Chia trades a 6'4/215+lbs elite skating mean SOB with high upside, for a 5'10/180lbs guy with more limited upside. Nothing against Vatanen, who's clearly the better player at the moment; but it's the opposite of what Chia tends to do.

mytduxfan*

stoner sucks but he is still on contract. i wasnt ranking them lmak

Stoner doesn't suck. He's a solid bottom 6 D-man who knows what he's good at and doesn't overextend beyond that. Bieksa sucks. Tbh, I'd question those who think Nurse is significantly better then Stoner. From what I've seen, Nurse needs a lot more time in the AHL working on his defensive game, particularly his decision making. As far as value, "yeah", Nurse >>> Stoner. However, I'd say all of that added value comes in age, potential, and his contract status, not because Nurse has a better on-the-ice contribution.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
http://public.tableau.com/shared/C8JHWN863?:display_count=yes

Nope, never :laugh:

:cheers:

Good fight for Manson. He is tough enough for us on the Blueline and is also pretty good at playing hockey as a defenseman.
I like Manson. I was only taking issue to the claim that he absolutely destroyed Lucic twice last season

Stoner doesn't suck. He's a solid bottom 6 D-man who knows what he's good at and doesn't overextend beyond that. Bieksa sucks. Tbh, I'd question those who think Nurse is significantly better then Stoner. From what I've seen, Nurse needs a lot more time in the AHL working on his defensive game, particularly his decision making. As far as value, "yeah", Nurse >>> Stoner. However, I'd say all of that added value comes in age, potential, and his contract status, not because Nurse has a better on-the-ice contribution.
I agree with with pretty much everything you've said about Nurse. But he is better than Stoner right now but was thrust in a top role when Davidson, and Klefbom went down with injuries. Stoner would look horrible playing 20+ minutes a game too but he averaged 13-14 minutes a game

mytduxfan*

:laugh:

I agree with with pretty much everything you've said about Nurse. But he is better than Stoner right now but was thrust in a top role when Davidson, and Klefbom went down with injuries. Stoner would look horrible playing 20+ minutes a game too but he averaged 13-14 minutes a game

Possibly. I still think Stoner is better then people give him credit, but you're right in pointing out that usage is important.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
No doubt Chia would love to add a puck moving RHD who can contribute on the PP but I'd guess he's relatively comfortable going into the season with what he has. See how Fayne performs being pushed down the depth chart, see if Davidson can continue his play from last season. With the impending expansion draft trading for another Dman we would have to protect might not be a smart move at this time. Oilers are going to get better this year, playoffs better? probably not but they will be fighting for a wildcard spot which is exactly what management, players and fans want.

I'd be more worried if I was BM, team was rated as a contender last season and got bounced first round and to me they don't look like they've improved at all. Lindholm, Rackell still unsigned with 6-7 weeks until reg season starts and 9M in cap space for a team that's been known as having an internal budget. Ritchie and Cogliano penciled into the top 6 I dunno if I'd call either top 6 players.

Oct 18, 2011
They get hosed by fans from the East and vent against us lol side bar from the OP proposal.

Do any Duck fans want to argue that they wouldn't want Darnell Nurse on their team? If you do, you're being arrogant or have never actually played hockey. Every team in the league would love to have a 6'4 220-245 lb Dman who possesses elite skating and will battle for his team.

Darnell Nurse. Cali fans will obsess about him. Remember the name.

I look forward to seeing him often as his hockey IQ is rather mediocre.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I don't understand why they would trade a right shooting dman as that would make them needing what they are losing

btlaffin

Deathbat
Jun 30, 2013
That's a no from the Ducks. Need a proven winger, especially for Vatanen. Not trading him for two question marks.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Its now Official that Duck fans overrate their players more than 29 other fan bases :shakehead

They get hosed by fans from the East and vent against us lol side bar from the OP proposal.

Do any Duck fans want to argue that they wouldn't want Darnell Nurse on their team? If you do, you're being arrogant or have never actually played hockey. Every team in the league would love to have a 6'4 220-245 lb Dman who possesses elite skating and will battle for his team.

How about not painting all of us with that brush. Nurse would be ahead of Theodore at this moment. I watched Nurse play with his boat anchor of a partner. With that said, we absolutely have no need to trade for him. Claiming otherwise shows your ignorance.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How about not painting all of us with that brush. Nurse would be ahead of Theodore at this moment. I watched Nurse play with his boat anchor of a partner. With that said, we absolutely have no need to trade for him. Claiming otherwise shows your ignorance.

No the entire OP makes no sense. It was in response to the lol Nurse type responses. You have immense depth on D, it's a useless trade.

Nurse is still 3-4 years away from entering his peak. He needs some seasoning.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Defensemen I'd obsess about from the Pacific Division:

Doughty
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

...that's it.

Nurse doesn't make that list. I don't anticipate he will ever make that list.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want him on the team, but I'd rate him below Fowler and Lindholm in the long-term, and I'd rate him below Vatanen in the short-term. There are a lot of extremely talented defensemen who aren't worth obsessing over. What separates Nurse from them? He could very well end up being a slightly better Despres. Am I supposed to obsess over that?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Only because he'll be attacking our players for doing nothing when the Oilers are losing, just like he did against Polak.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Defensemen I'd obsess about from the Pacific Division:

Doughty
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

...that's it.

Nurse doesn't make that list. I don't anticipate he will ever make that list.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't want him on the team, but I'd rate him below Fowler and Lindholm in the long-term, and I'd rate him below Vatanen in the short-term. There are a lot of extremely talented defensemen who aren't worth obsessing over. What separates Nurse from them? He could very well end up being a slightly better Despres. Am I supposed to obsess over that?

Oh me neither, I don't have Nurse as a franchise D. I think he'll be solid as a top 4.

Nope, the obsession will come from the way he plays the game. He'll be a mean ******* to play against.

I have him below Lindholm as well, I would be happy with Nurse being a solid 2nd pairing Dman who is a nightmare to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad