Proposal: Vancouver - Colorado

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Wtf? Girard is like a poor man's Hughes.
We already have Rathbone for that.

And we're giving up a second to sell off our Captain?
Possibly the worst Canucks related proposal I've ever read.

Reactions: Nucks2477

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane

These proposals seem to pop up every few days and go the same exact way. People need to start reading through prior threads before posting Vancouver/Avs proposals and Avs/Habs proposals.

Reactions: DekeyPete and Groo

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Girard can play defense with far fewer PP opportunities for points. He also signed longer for less money. Size they’re about the same, with Girard being more aggressive on the ice.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Girard can play defense with far fewer PP opportunities for points. He also signed longer for less money. Size they’re about the same, with Girard being more aggressive on the ice.

What does that have to do with anything? I've seen Girard play many times.
Canucks aren't trading their captain and a 2nd round pick for a redundant player.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why does either team do this?

Vancouver already has Hughes, they don't need Girard.

And value wise this is awful for Colorado, why would we sell low on a top pairing Dman?

Also the Avs depth is doing just fine, considering we're 7-1-0 without Mackinnon this month and have scored 43 goals in those 7 games.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

You clearly have no idea what kind of a player he is. Girard is one of the best transition defenders in the entire league, he is exceptional at defending zone entries, elite at puck retrieval, and one of the better breakout defensemen in the league. This notion that he is a one-dimensional offensive D is so nonsensical it's borderline insane and originates based on one poor playoff game, completely ignoring the other 300 games he played in the NHL. He can struggle against big forwards around the net due to his size and that's it. He's Jared Spurgeon lite, not John Michel Liles ignoramuses are making him out to be.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You clearly have no idea what kind of a player he is. Girard is one of the best transition defenders in the entire league, he is exceptional at defending zone entries, elite at puck retrieval, and one of the better breakout defensemen in the league. This notion that he is a one-dimensional offensive D is so nonsensical it's borderline insane and originates based on one poor playoff game, completely ignoring the other 300 games he played in the NHL. He can struggle against big forwards around the net due to his size and that's it. He's Jared Spurgeon lite, not John Michel Liles ignoramuses are making him out to be.
To me, Girard is better defensively than offensively. His Ozone game underwhelms me but his stick work defensively is elite. So is his backwards skating. The next time he gets beat one vs one will be the first time since Forsberg took him back when Girard was an 18 year old rookie. He’s been a one on one wall since then.

In terms of edge work? You can count the better NHL skaters than Girard on one hand. Barzal, Makar…. Maybe Larkin. And Ummm.

so yes, his transition game is sublime. I certainly wouldn’t trade him for Boeser straight up. Not that Vancouver needs him anyway. As awful as Vancouver’s roster is, their many roster needs are elsewhere.

I LOL’d hard watching Vancouver bench their elite 1C $7mm man in the 6 on 5 last night. EP didn’t see the ice as Vancouver was trying for over 2 minutes to tie the game they, of course, lost in regulation. Lost due to hemorrhaging more PP goals against.

Garland looks good for them. But that’s about it at forward. EP looks like he’s got a severe case of the yips. He may be permanently affected by his prolonged slump. Confidence level presently 0.00%.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

You say this like Rielly isn't a good transition D with good puck retrieval skills.

Girard is not elite, he is solid. Try and hide your bias a bit

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You say this like Rielly isn't a good transition D with good puck retrieval skills.

He’s an elite puck mover. He’s otherwise a guy that plays the number 3 Dman on good teams and the number 1 or 2 on a bad team.

I wasn’t offended by the Reilly comparison. Two very good NHL defenders with more pros than cons to their respective games.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

If Girard is a poor mans Hughes. Then Quinn Hughes is a homeless man’s Makar.

Girard may not be quite at Hughes level but he’s within earshot. Somewhat different type of player but Girard would easily be Vancouver’s second best D man. He’s just not enough different from their best one to fit a key team need which would be R shot, stay at home guy with some size to clear the crease.

Erik Johnson is the Avs defender Vancouver currently needs most. And he’s not available.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Mandalorian

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Im aware that he can be quite flashy with the puck. Not sure how that changes my point
More like effective with the puck.

He routinely beats the forechecker by retrieving the dump in and just skating/stick handling out of his zone at high speed. Nothing flashy about it. Just pace and skill.

He then routinely puts pressure on a defense by breaking them down and creating shooting lanes and opportunities for forwards trialing the play as he carries it thru the neutral zone and into the Ozone.

the Avs are a high scoring team for a lot of reasons. His transition work is one of them.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

It's like you read what I wrote and completely ignored it. He is nothing like Rielly. He is nothing like Hughes. He plays like Spurgeon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad