Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Quinn Hughes re-signs with the Canucks (6 years, $7.85M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Ghost @ 20 yrs old- Union College
Hughes @ 19 yrs old- 53 pts in 68 games NHL

Even if you think Hughes is just an "offensive dman" he's an elite/franchise "offensive dman"
Agreed, he is great at that. I suppose we'll see how his game rounds up.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Agreed, he is great at that. I suppose we'll see how his game rounds up.

If his game ever rounds up and he becomes a complete Dman then 7mil is going to be one of the biggest steal of a contract in the NHL.

As of now 7mil is a good deal for an elite offensive dman.

It seems like he has been around forever, but lets not forget that Hughes is 21 yrs old!

He doesnt even have his man strength yet.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
If his game ever rounds up and he becomes a complete Dman then 7mil is going to be one of the biggest steal of a contract in the NHL.

It seems like he has been around forever, but lets not forget that Hughes is 21 yrs old!

7.85 mil*

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
How come Dahlin is equally as bad defensively, while being incredibly sheltered, whereas Hughes is not (80% QOC vs 23%) and doesn't get shit on like Hughes does?

Hughes is a premier offensive defenseman that fills those categories in every way you can think of (controlled passes out of d-zone, controlled entries into o-zone, primary assists, PP production).

Dahlin is none of those things, and yet 6x3 is reasonable, but 7.85x6 is not? Dahlin is expected to improve defensively, but Hughes is not?

That last part is probably the case. Dahlin is expected to improve defensively due to his size and draft pedigree. People view Hughes' problems as inherently harder to fix since he is small and never projected to be a two-way dman like Dahlin.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Not very well, and gets offence propped up by McDrai
Nah ,he can. Don't kid yourself. The guy played over 60 minutes his last playoff game and didn't sweat it.

I think Hughes is overpaid for what he brings overall, but it's not "that bad"

Van has just started becoming this place not many guys want to play in or will not take a discount. That's mainly on ownership and management. EP40 is the prime example.

I see Hughes putting up decent offensive numbers and getting sh** on defensively. He get's wrecked half of the time you see him back there.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Seems like a reasonable deal. He should live up to that cap hit and then some. Term isn't ideal, but it got the cap hit down to something manageable.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
EP for QH deal and QH for EP deal would make more sense but works out to the same cap in the short term. Canucks better hope he improves in the long term.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Nah ,he can. Don't kid yourself. The guy played over 60 minutes his last playoff game and didn't sweat it.

I think Hughes is overpaid for what he brings overall, but it's not "that bad"

Van has just started becoming this place not many guys want to play in or will not take a discount. That's mainly on ownership and management. EP40 is the prime example.

I see Hughes putting up decent offensive numbers and getting sh** on defensively. He get's wrecked half of the time you see him back there.
Vancouver will always be one of Canada’s most desirable places to play, people need to stop taking EPs comment and twisting it into something it wasn’t.
Hughes is paid to be a better Tyson Barrie, which he already is

Reactions: Foppberg

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Both awesome contracts tbh. It'd be ridiculous to think Hughes won't go bounce back in a big way, and Pettersson is already a top-10 centre, easily.

If I had to nitpick I'd say the Pettersson one should've been longer, but obviously this was a fair deal for both sides. Leaves a year until RFA when done.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He just needs a competent partner that covers for him when he rovers in the offensive zone. I think it's a good contract Hughes will hit 70 pts at some point. I've never seen a Canucks defenseman with the creativity that Hughes has so its hard not to be excited to have him inked for 6 years.

Reactions: JoeMc

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
His defence should improve. Not a bad deal. Couldn't risk him and pettersson both going to free agency in 3 years and both taking the canucks to the cleaners. 6 years is a great window for them.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
This is a reasonable deal; next season lets try to trade Miller and acquire Jack Hughes so we can reunite the brothers

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
He just needs a competent partner that covers for him when he rovers in the offensive zone. I think it's a good contract Hughes will hit 70 pts at some point. I've never seen a Canucks defenseman with the creativity that Hughes has so its hard not to be excited to have him inked for 6 years.

Fully agreed, not outraged with the contract but without the appropriate partner he won t be worth it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Gonna be a couple decades atleast for someone with clearly that little testosterone to begin with.

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013

It is actually closer to 8 mil.

But this isn't bad deal. He is amazing offensively but defensively he is just bad.

Not a massive win/steal but it's a decent deal. Imho kinda similar to Heiskanen. If he can bring his offensive to where he was during playoffs or closer to it, it is great deal. If Hughes can improve his defensive side this is gonna be amazing deal.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Fun thread to read. Can see that weed is sold cheap in Vancouver.

Some real delusional takes here.

Good that they got both signed but either of the deals is not anywhere near cheap for what these players have so far done. So they are banking on development to continue. Let's see if that happens. I have my doubts.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Nice signing. Could end up being a steal. Kid is one of the best offensive d men in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad