Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Quinn Hughes re-signs with the Canucks (6 years, $7.85M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
60 point D-man over his first 3 years on a terrible team.

I'd say that's good for 6M. The extra money was required to buy some extra years.

It's not that hard to figure out.

If he gets a bit better defensively - which wouldn't be a surprise given his young age, immature body and lack of experience (he's only played 129 pro games) - he's worth it.

The biggest issue is finding a partner for him, it's clear he did his best work with Tanev on his side.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This isn't really a Quinn Hughes contract criticism but having three 6+ million dollar defenders that struggle in their own zone is a strange way to go about building a roster.

The deal itself seems reasonable. Even if he never blossoms into an all around minute munching #1D offense from the blueline will always have value.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

E0E5B09F-4591-4EB8-898D-5643D0930041.gif

Now with Elias signed, on with the Season

CACACCF5-9340-4623-9933-47F183D62D72.jpeg

Reactions: Grub

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
This isn't really a Quinn Hughes contract criticism but having three 6+ million dollar defenders that struggle in their own zone is a strange way to go about building a roster.

The deal itself seems reasonable. Even if he never blossoms into an all around minute munching #1D offense from the blueline will always have value.

Yeah that has everything to do with Benning's terrible scouting/targeting of D-men and general ignorance of how to create a good defense.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
I think he's worth about 6 million. But, on a team where Tyler Myers gets 6 million dollars, the overpayment is not surprising.

The Canucks have to add some sort of top pairing defensive d-man to pair alongside him to cover for him or this contract is going to look very ugly. Tanev was a great partner for him who actually made him look half competent in his own zone. He is like a lost puppy with anything less than a top pairing quality defensive guy.

Reactions: John Snow

UED

May 2, 2021
His bad defensive play doesn’t drop his offensive stats. He’s being paid to score points. Yes, he can work on his defense way more, but this is a good dollar figure for six years.
Very very true, but the problem is that he's a defenseman. It's not like a forward being terrible defensively which really doesn't matter, if Hughes is on the ice, they're effectively down one defender.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think this deal will end up as a steal in a couple of years. At his young age he has lots of room for growth especially defensively and he’s already one of the top offensive D. I wouldn’t really judge him on how he played last year or assume that’s his ceiling. The Canucks D was a mess last year. Pair Hughes with a solid defensive D like he had the first year in Tanev and he will be fine.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I like this deal a lot. I expect we will see more of the Rookie version of Hughes than the sophomore version. If that is the case, this is a huge win for the Canucks.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Good deal.. you put up points, you get paid... its his job to add insane amount of offense and help team score goals... he's not paid to be a solid defensive dman.

Canucks knew the type of player they were getting when they drafted him... its now the teams job(and Hughes) to find him the perfect partner(Tanev was)

This is what they pay him to do... its not like when teams pay huge money to a stay at home defensive dman they now expect him to change his game and try to put up points.

Good signing.. we will be seeing his name amongst the tops of dman scoring leaders across the league for many years... if he isn't, then IMO its OK for fans to be critical

Reactions: grentthealien

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I think he's worth about 6 million. But, on a team where Tyler Myers gets 6 million dollars, the overpayment is not surprising.

The Canucks have to add some sort of top pairing defensive d-man to pair alongside him to cover for him or this contract is going to look very ugly. Tanev was a great partner for him who actually made him look half competent in his own zone. He is like a lost puppy with anything less than a top pairing quality defensive guy.
In an off season that saw Nurse get 9.25, this contract is good

Reactions: Nucks2477

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad