Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Quinn Hughes re-signs with the Canucks (6 years, $7.85M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Hella cheap. Had to be expected with Makar taking a huge discount at 9m though.

Makar's contract was a contender's discount, similar to Rantanen's near-identical 6x$9.25M pact. The teams that were universally considered around the league as cup contenders, like Colorado (Makar), Tampa (Point), the Islanders (Pelech), Boston (Carlo), and Carolina (Svechnikov), all got some discounts attached to their big RFA extensions this season. There seems to be a large discrepancy this year between how players and their agents have discussed extensions with middling-to-bad clubs and how those same ones have interacted with the top clubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
That's a lot of money for Tyson Barrie

Loll gotta give you that one, but still no way they're letting him (one of the brightest young defensemen in the league) leave when he's viewed by the team as potentially the best defenseman the franchise has ever had.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Makar's contract was a contender's discount, similar to Rantanen's near-identical 6x$9.25M pact. The teams that were universally considered around the league as cup contenders, like Colorado (Makar), Tampa (Point), the Islanders (Pelech), Boston (Carlo), and Carolina (Svechnikov), all got some discounts attached to their big RFA extensions this season. There seems to be a large discrepancy this year between how players and their agents have discussed extensions with middling-to-bad clubs and how those same ones have interacted with the top clubs.
Insightful post.

On topic, Hughes is still the player who scored at a pace to be 6th in scoring amongst rookie Defence men. Ever.

He only played 68 games due to Covid so he finished 14th in scoring amongst rookie D. Again, Ever. As in, the league has existed for over a century, and in a high scoring era great players like Larry Murphy, Chris Chelios, Brian Leetch, Gary Suter, Ray Bourque, and Nick Lidstrom playing in the 80's and early 90's are some of the privileged few above him.

Last year was bad, but he knows what he is and he could have asked for 8.25 and put the squeeze on Benning and we would have had to eventually budge. I see this as exceedingly reasonable and even a small win, if this is the number.

On the topic of Makar, Hughes was at his level most of their rookie seasons. That it seems apparent that Makar is better is due to a couple of things:

1. Colorado is a super team (and he is a big part of it).

2. And more importantly (I listed it in this order for stupid dramatic effect), his potential is off the charts. If he gets a little more solid defensively, and can parlay a tiny bit more frequent assertiveness with the puck i.e. even when playing with Mackinnon, into similar hit rates in terms of successful moves, shots, pinches, etc, Makar could reach the Mcdavid stratosphere.

The perceived difference between the two of them is not because Hughes' potential has diminished based on one weird Covid year with a bad team and a heinous schedule. But because Makar looks like he might just be that good.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That s really false : Plech got a similar contract to Brodin in MIN, top defensive Dman don t get more. Svechnikov is paid 10% more than Connor who outperforms him. TBL has set the bar at 9.5 as max salary and it has worked until now, Rantanen is one of the best goal scorers in the league and Makar the best Young Dman in a while they haven t taken any discount. Makar is one of the top paid Dmen. Carlo comes out an injury plagued season an really wanted to be in BOS.
It s not because TOR overpays everybody that VAN has to do so. These contracts for young RFAs are getting crazy.
I agree on one point though when you create a good dynamic it is easier to sell a ceiling at 9.5 than when you're losing.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Insightful post.

On topic, Hughes is still the player who scored at a pace to be 6th in scoring amongst rookie Defence men. Ever.

He only played 68 games due to Covid so he finished 14th in scoring amongst rookie D. Again, Ever. As in, the league has existed for over a century, and in a high scoring era great players like Larry Murphy, Chris Chelios, Brian Leetch, Gary Suter, Ray Bourque, and Nick Lidstrom playing in the 80's and early 90's are some of the privileged few above him.

Last year was bad, but he knows what he is and he could have asked for 8.25 and put the squeeze on Benning and we would have had to eventually budge. I see this as exceedingly reasonable and even a small win, if this is the number.

On the topic of Makar, Hughes was at his level most of their rookie seasons. That it seems apparent that Makar is better is due to a couple of things:

1. Colorado is a super team (and he is a big part of it).

2. And more importantly (I listed it in this order for stupid dramatic effect), his potential is off the charts. If he gets a little more solid defensively, and can parlay a tiny bit more frequent assertiveness with the puck i.e. even when playing with Mackinnon, into similar hit rates in terms of successful moves, shots, pinches, etc, Makar could reach the Mcdavid stratosphere.

The perceived difference between the two of them is not because Hughes' potential has diminished based on one weird Covid year with a bad team and a heinous schedule. But because Makar looks like he might just be that good.

Only if you completely ignore one side of the puck. Makar is a good defender who actually played the role of corrector on his pairing with Graves, Hughes had Tanev to free him up.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Lol watch the #'s Nurse puts up this year. Oh, and he can actually play a lick of D too! We have the #1 offensive Dman in the NHL that took a discount and wanted to be here.

lol.... in today's headlines "Tyson Barrie: Something to Brag About!" .. Read it here first.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
this is a fine deal, but much would have preferred a bridge. i've never seen a player encouraged more to *not improve his deficiencies. and he has them.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Good deal for Van.
Calder runner up, will score 60 pts this year and on the upswing. Stud on a deal

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There was nothing good about his D, unless we pretend that Tanev doing all the heavy lifting means jack shit.

Yea I'm sorry, but that's just complete BS. Tanev had a pretty mediocre year that season by his standards. His skating was laboured and he made a lot more mistakes than usual. Hughes meanwhile was quite good at stripping pucks and defending the rush, and pretty average everywhere except in the corners and in front of the net. He allowed fewer corsi attempts and shots per 60 than Cale, and had much better relative numbers.

The idea that he sucked defensively this year because Tanev did all the work the year before is a weak narrative where people are attributing this year to the past. The majority of his struggles seemed to be related to his skating, as he was unable to get to the spots he was used to both defensively and offensively where he was making unforced errors leading to rushes the other way. He was skating like he spent all winter drinking beer and gained 20 pounds. That's obviously a concern if it's a conditioning problem but I expect that to be corrected. I'm sure it helped playing off Tanev in terms of knowing what to expect your defensive partner to do, but that's far different than Tanev bailing him out, which wasn't the case. He held his own. I'm not particularly high on Hughes' long term outlook on his ability to carry a pairing against top competition, but he showed he can be average defensively as a rookie.

Makar is obviously the better overall talent, but he wasn't significantly better as a rookie defensively. Maybe babysitting Graves was a big reason for that, but the comparisons between the two were there for a reason. Hughes was really good. Too many people are focusing on this year.

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honest question, but the people forget how ridiculously good offensively and defensively he was in the playoffs just a year and a bit ago?

Seems too not be brought up that much considering it’s a big deal.

Especially considering his size

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Honest question, but the people forget how ridiculously good offensively and defensively he was in the playoffs just a year and a bit ago?

Seems too not be brought up that much considering it’s a big deal.

Especially considering his size

Eh, he had his fair share of struggles that playoffs, particularly against Vegas.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
read again pal

full season = 82 games

DLHN.gif

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Only if you completely ignore one side of the puck. Makar is a good defender who actually played the role of corrector on his pairing with Graves, Hughes had Tanev to free him up.
Surely to God you can't compare the situations they were entering.

I'm not saying Makar isn't better defensively, he is. But let's not act like it's an apples to apples situation.

Reactions: flying v 604

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad