Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Quinn Hughes re-signs with the Canucks (6 years, $7.85M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
He is a fantastic talent but if he is playing on your top pairing you are in trouble. If he isnt playing in your top pairing its hard to justify that contract...

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He is a fantastic talent but if he is playing on your top pairing you are in trouble. If he isnt playing in your top pairing its hard to justify that contract...
Hughes is such an elite offensive player and an elite PP qb that it would be criminal to have him on your top pairing. In fact he would play as a top pairing even on Tampa, with Hedman as his D partner. The coach would have to be a complete moron to not have Hughes playing 20 minutes.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Shouldn't Quinn be on a bridge deal instead of EP?

If Quinn proves he can be better defensively he can be set for a pay raise on his next contract with arbitrary rights. If not, he can take off and join his brothers in NJ. It's a win-win for him in both scenarios.

6 years of OEL and Quinn seems like a disaster from the back end. And I didn't factor in Myers into the equation yet.

This deal makes no sense.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Hughes is such an elite offensive player and an elite PP qb that it would be criminal to have him on your top pairing. In fact he would play as a top pairing even on Tampa, with Hedman as his D partner. The coach would have to be a complete moron to not have Hughes playing 20 minutes.

He is going to get caved if he plays on the top pairing. He would be ideally suited on a second pairing with someone like Adam Larson as his partner.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He is going to get caved if he plays on the top pairing. He would be ideally suited on a second pairing with someone like Adam Larson as his partner.
He was the top pairing when we beat Blues and Wild in playoffs and almost beat Vegas.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Do teams announce who is their top pair? Guy plays 22-25 minutes. I think you mean shut down minutes

Not every top minute defenseman is a shut down guy. Not sure how in one top 4 role he is ok and another gets caved. If you mean he will have to be managed i can agree with that but he skates incredibly well and has the agility to stay with guys other would struggle with.

Lots of smaller stature guys play minutes that would be considered top pair by the numbers and are just fine

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Just because they won a couple playoff series with him on the top pairing does not mean that is where he belongs or that that is where he would be on a good team.
On a better team he could be on top pairing with Chris Tanev rather than whomever he’s going to play with this year. Life’s ironic that way I guess.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
On a better team he could be on top pairing with Chris Tanev rather than whomever he’s going to play with this year. Life’s ironic that way I guess.

Again, with his strengths and weaknesses he does not belong on the top pairing on any team. Could that change over time as he gets older, stronger, more experienced, better in his own end? Maybe .. But now. No.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Do teams announce who is their top pair? Guy plays 22-25 minutes. I think you mean shut down minutes

Not every top minute defenseman is a shut down guy. Not sure how in one top 4 role he is ok and another gets caved. If you mean he will have to be managed i can agree with that but he skates incredibly well and has the agility to stay with guys other would struggle with.

Lots of smaller stature guys play minutes that would be considered top pair by the numbers and are just fine

I mean being on the ice when McDavid is. Or Drai. Without bleeding chances. If you play 20or 25 minutes against the weak competition you are not a top pairing Dman. IMO. If you go back to my original post I stated that I think he is an exremely talented player. He just does not belong on the ice against the top players on the other team. Hence he does not belong on the top D pairing.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Really bad contract for a poor man's Torey Krug..

spittingdrink.gif

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
I mean being on the ice when McDavid is. Or Drai. Without bleeding chances.
As a Canuck fan i'd be the first to admit Hughes has some defensive warts. That said, Wow man!, he bled chances against Mcdavid or Drai (usually both at the same time). You mean just like every other d-man in the league?
Talk about moving goalposts. That's like asking a field goal kicker to put one through 50 foot high uprights from 60 yards... upwind. Those guys smoke everybody most nights. Too bad the rest of the Oilers (without them) are a lottery team.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I mean being on the ice when McDavid is. Or Drai. Without bleeding chances. If you play 20or 25 minutes against the weak competition you are not a top pairing Dman. IMO. If you go back to my original post I stated that I think he is an exremely talented player. He just does not belong on the ice against the top players on the other team. Hence he does not belong on the top D pairing.
McDavid is the best forward in the world. So its pretty stupid to bring this up as your argument since McDavid runs circles against any D in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad