Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Quinn Hughes re-signs with the Canucks (6 years, $7.85M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
This is a great deal for Vancouver. Hughes is not just great offensively he is absolutely elite. I have no doubt he will be among the top 3 in scoring from the backend numerous times over the course of his contract. His defensive game does need work but that way overblown on these boards. The vast majority of dmen (even those drafted where he was) have not even played in the NHL up until this point in the careers. His skating, positioning and I.Q are way too good for him to not get way better in that regard. Hughes is a stud and the hot takes on this form because he had a tad of a down year in his sophomore season are hilarious. Vancouver has had a really good offseason imo.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
6 years is a long time. If the knock is that he leaves after that it's not a very valid criticism.

Get this kid a legit partner on defense.
I had commented on a different site that it didn't matter if it was for long or short, since a certain type of poster would shit on any deal Benning makes.
Plus the usual trolls who's team passed on him or has a certain young RHD would chime in that he can't play defense. The few idiot NJ fans claiming 6 years means he wants to get there asap, when in reality this deal as peteys was is specifically designed to expire to maximize cap space (OEL) and to avoid multiple deals in the same year.
I always welcome opinions from other fambases but in Quinns case there is so much misinformation and blatant troll posts it's annoying.
Like the oilers fan who comes in and feels the need to pump Nurse's tires and Barries by shitting on a kid who is 21 and currently holds 4 different records but brings up last season. I expect that from southerners who most likely can't even pick out our pm in a photo but any fan of a team from the North div last season knows Vancouver was the victim of a terrible schedule to start the season and were a shell after covid. He'll I remember oiler fans complaining because they had a few games re-scheduled because of it.
Imagine being a much fan seeing your team start the season with 19 games in 27 days and a month long covid break right when the schedule was finally in our favour.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
That last part is probably the case. Dahlin is expected to improve defensively due to his size and draft pedigree. People view Hughes' problems as inherently harder to fix since he is small and never projected to be a two-way dman like Dahlin.
See that's what bugs me a bit. Size is a great thing but unless you are a kid like Seider who actually uses it it's about as useful as a big dong attached to a virgin.
Quinn isn't ever going to be a physical dman that's obvious, he is however a very fast high IQ who can be a good defender by being in the right spot, using his stick and most important keeping the play 200 feet away from Demko.
Last season due to a bunch of things some his fault, like 2+ minute shifts caused him to get caught out of position and a guy like Benn wasn't fast enough or good enough to cover for him.
Our coaching staff who hopefully with Shaw in the fold change things up a bit were guilty of having Quinn push the pace pinch and take chances with zero support when it was obvious doing so would cause breakdowns leading to odd man rushes. Hopefully they as well as Quinn pick their spots a little better and stop keeping him out there so long.
Look at the minutes he spends with different d partners, in most cases, 2 guys will play a majority together 5 on5, Quinn has like 3 guys spread pretty evenly instead of on guy the bulk of the time. Same thing with forward partners, having him an offensive guy playing with Jay Beagle and plug wingers isn't exactly putting him in a good spot.
I think with OEL being here and just the fact he's a year older and a decent coach in Shaw will make a big difference.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Great player. Excellent deal for the Canucks, Makar got 6 x 9M, Hughes market value was at least 6 x 8M, left a little change on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: The ultimate fan

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I really doubt Hughes is going to be as bad defensively as he was last year. The whole team was a tire fire, we led the leafue in GAA for the first half of the season. I still can’t fully explain that, but for whatever reason, a lack of training camp really hurt this group of players. Then, we started to figure it out, but it was too late. Then, we lost Pettersson, and the whole team got COVID, so ya, it was like the 10 plagues last season for the Canucks, they really never got going.

It’s a new year, this is a young and talented player, I think we’re going to be surprised by Hughes this year. Plus, he DID say that board work and defense was his priority training this offseason which was something new to him, so I expect to see some improvement.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Fun thread to read. Can see that weed is sold cheap in Vancouver.

Some real delusional takes here.

Good that they got both signed but either of the deals is not anywhere near cheap for what these players have so far done. So they are banking on development to continue. Let's see if that happens. I have my doubts.

Oh hey look, it's an Oilers fan stirring up shit. By far, most of the takes are calling the signings fair...which they are. The fact that they aren't overpayments in this market is a big deal. Why the need to be rude and make up drama?

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Fun thread to read. Can see that weed is sold cheap in Vancouver.

Some real delusional takes here.

Good that they got both signed but either of the deals is not anywhere near cheap for what these players have so far done. So they are banking on development to continue. Let's see if that happens. I have my doubts.

Lmao... talking about overpaid players when you have Nurse at 9.25M on max term.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
With the defense contracts handed out this offseason, this is just what contracts cost. Its probably good for Canucks that hes committed for 6 years.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Nah ,he can. Don't kid yourself. The guy played over 60 minutes his last playoff game and didn't sweat it.

I think Hughes is overpaid for what he brings overall, but it's not "that bad"

Van has just started becoming this place not many guys want to play in or will not take a discount. That's mainly on ownership and management. EP40 is the prime example.

I see Hughes putting up decent offensive numbers and getting sh** on defensively. He get's wrecked half of the time you see him back there.

Hughes is not as bad defensively as he showed last season. The whole year was a mess for the Canucks as a whole and after watching first hand how things went last year, I'm willing to give him a mulligan. Hughes skates way too well to be that bad.

The contract is a very solid deal and fair market value based on his counting stats alone. If his defensive game improves over the next season or 2 (and I'm confident it will), this will end up being a steal of a deal for one of the best offensive defenceman in the league. This kid is special.

Last edited:

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Oh hey look, it's an Oilers fan stirring up shit. By far, most of the takes are calling the signings fair...which they are. The fact that they aren't overpayments in this market is a big deal. Why the need to be rude and make up drama?

It is not rude, it is the reality.

They have not done enough to claim that kind of contracts but Benning is hoping they will, or he is canned.
And neither is max term which is kind of telling too.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
I don't get the hate, this seems like a good deal. People get hung up on the cost for the first year. It's a 6 year deal.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada

They have not done enough to claim that kind of contracts but Benning is hoping they will, or he is canned.
Reality is that the oilers have the best player in the game and are still a complete dumpster fire. Reality is that Mcdavid is wasting his career in Edmonton and that's not changing ANY time soon.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Nurse was all UFA years and kicks in next year. This Hughes deal has RFA years.

Plus, Nurse is a far better player than Hughes.

Right now Nurse is better. Don’t think I’d trade Hughes for Nurse though as I think he could be better than Nurse as soon as next season. Cheaper too.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

What’s so “telling” about neither being a max deal. Barzal got a three year deal and Makar got a six year deal. What did those deals “tell” you? Did they say the same thing?

Crow

May 19, 2014
Americans don’t understand it’s hard to retain non Canadian players in Canada especially when your team isn’t a contender
Even if they are a contender it seems. Look at Toronto’s contracts.

I like both contracts for VAN and the players. Seem fair.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
What’s so “telling” about neither being a max deal. Barzal got a three year deal and Makar got a six year deal. What did those deals “tell” you? Did they say the same thing?

It tells us RFAs (and GMS potentially throwing offer sheets around) have wised up. But this was clear starting the 2019 offseason. Jack Hughes for example I am expecting either 2, 3 or 5 years on his next contract, that's just the reality of signing your star RFAS off an ELC in 2022.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Who's gonna baby sit this guy defensively? Tucker Poolman?
Dude he will be better. He is still young and am sure he will be better than last year. People on HFboard extrapolate 1 bad season from a player and think he will project into a bad player similar to Puljuarvi who is turning heads now. Young players eventually can develop to become even better.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Right now Nurse is better. Don’t think I’d trade Hughes for Nurse though as I think he could be better than Nurse as soon as next season. Cheaper too.
Yep, I also wouldnt trade Hughes for Nurse straight up. Hughes is more elite offensively if you compare who is the better passer and playmaker. Nurse is better defensively for now but in terms of offense, I would take Hughes hands down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad