Confirmed with Link: [VAN/LA] Canucks acquire F Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd Round Pick

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
Emergence of Gaudette? Homeboy has 27 points. What emergence? He’s decent, but you’re acting like he’s a star. You’re also acting like there’s some kind of rule where you can’t have depth at C, or where C’s cant play on the wing.

Didn't you realize that you are not allowed more than 3 decent centers?

All players develop linearly.

Our entire prospect pool will develop to the top of their potential.

Duh....

(sarcasm)

Reactions: dps and y2kcanucks

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Emergence of Gaudette? Homeboy has 27 points. What emergence? He’s decent, but you’re acting like he’s a star. You’re also acting like there’s some kind of rule where you can’t have depth at C, or where C’s cant play on the wing.

Im acting like he’s a star because I listed him as a 3rd line centre?

I specifically mentioned Madden and the right wing competition.

Look at either position, and you can see why I think Madden would be in tough...

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
Madden and McCann DO have to do with Pearson and Toffoli, that was my point.

You pointed to Beagle and Myers etc, which have nothing to do with them. Go read your post again...

Read the rest of my post. Moves like this are a continuation of Benning giving away future assets at times when it is not in the teams best interests.

What does making the first round and losing do for this team? How does it benefit them more than keeping cost controlled assets such as Madden?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Thats not how it works....

Its not turning "just Schaller into Toffoli".

Its a continued habit of bad asset management. The amount of picks and prospects given away by this management group during what should have been a rebuild is absurd. This team could have had McCann, Madden, and several other players from the draft picks given away as cheap cost controlled assets. Instead they have bloated contracts such as Beagle, Sutter, Erikssen, Myers.

Toffoli is solid but this is another disappointing deal done at the wrong time for this team. Another deal that just screams of a panic trade from a GM trying to save his job.

Almost same things said with every trade and signing this team makes Miller blew up the boards how's that worked out ?
Wait and see as fans hope it's worthwhile time will tell.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Read the rest of my post. Moves like this are a continuation of Benning giving away future assets at times when it is not in the teams best interests.

What does making the first round and losing do for this team? How does it benefit them more than keeping cost controlled assets such as Madden?

No, this move, in no way, shape or form is a continuation of a free agent signing.

What does a Western conference final do for this group?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The only positive of this trade is that it should guarantee Benning gets sacked if we miss the playoffs.

Madden was the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in our pool and the equivalent of a 1st.

That's the equivalent of a a 1st and 2nd for a middle six winger who scored 34 points in two of his last three years and is a rental to boot. We can't even re-sign him because we're already in cap hell even without him.... which Madden's ELC would have helped with.

Anyone referencing the Miller trade is missing that we paid a premium for the cost certainty on his contract which Toffoli does not have.

There's no real upside to this deal. We basically have to win the cup this year for this trade to be a win. This is a desperate GM who knows his job is on the line.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Again, you don’t know the future
What’s the odd of Canucks winning a round? Probably not high, but the manger has the right to bet on his players and his job

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
How many here have seen Madden play,? This could be the greatest outrage since Corrado slipped away. Remember the buzz term then was "asset management"? Guaranteed Andrew "Walks" Walker ( could someone explain that over the top nickname?!) will drop "conversation" into this trade a dozen times in the first ten minutes tomorrow.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If I'm picking two of the three, I'd re-sign Tanev and Toffoli.

Well in that case you better hope that Demko is ready for full time action and if he isn't then all of a sudden you have a team against the cap and still a very long way form SC contention.

It's a decision that can make or break a GM and set back a team years if he gets it wrong.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The 2nd-round pick is not conditional, it is a committed part of the deal along with Madden. Re-signing Toffoli would add a 4th-rounder to the cost.
Okay, initial reporting on Reddit was a conditional 2nd, I see it has been updated. That 2nd rounder should be in the #50's. Maybe 1 to 3 fourth round picks make the NHL every year. That ups the cost, but I still like the trade. How you see this trade really depends on how highly one values Madden.

Reactions: Sneezy

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
No, this move, in no way, shape or form is a continuation of a free agent signing.

What does a Western conference final do for this group?

It absolutely relates in that it is a bad asset management move. Youre moving a B+ prospect and a 2nd round draft pick for 20 games of a 45 point player.

Do you really think this team built like it is can make it past the 2nd round? They are routinely out shot, out chanced, and out played every single game.

San Jose made the conference finals last year. What did that do for them?

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
To be fair, Madden is on a Gaudette-like trajectory. So if Gaudette is no world-beater to you, you might like this trade a little more than I do.

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
Again, you don’t know the future
What’s the odd of Canucks winning a round? Probably not high, but the manger has the right to bet on his players and his job

And as a paying fan I have a right to criticize moves like this.

You're right, nobody knows the future. But you can also look at it realistically and logically. Yes this team could go on a cinderella run. More likely they just gave up 2 cost controlled assets for 20 games of a 45 point player that they cant afford to re-sign.

It would be one thing if this was a once off move. Its not. Benning has continually moved future assets for win now moves and this is clearly just a move to try and save his job.

Reactions: dps and xtra

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
Almost same things said with every trade and signing this team makes Miller blew up the boards how's that worked out ?
Wait and see as fans hope it's worthwhile time will tell.

And my reply to that is the same that I had the day of the Miller trade. Its a bad trade.

Now let me be clear in my opinion, I love Miller as a player. He is a great fit on this team and the team is better for having him on it.

But the trade itself was not good. The result can be good and still be a bad trade. Benning was in a perfect position to get Miller for cheap. He was coming off a 13 goal, 47 point season that he finished on the third line. Tampa Bay HAD to move him to re-sign Point.

That is not a situation where you trade a first and a third for a 47 point player. Thats when you are supposed to negotiate. It was a bad trade at the time.

Like I said, Miller has been great and I am glad he is on this team. Doesnt mean that the Canucks shouldnt have gotten him cheaper, and maintained more assets.

This management group does this on every trade. They set their mind on a particular player and overpay. They bleed assets and that hurts this team in the long run.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The only positive of this trade is that it should guarantee Benning gets sacked if we miss the playoffs.

Madden was the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in our pool and the equivalent of a 1st.

That's the equivalent of a a 1st and 2nd for a middle six winger who scored 34 points in two of his last three years and is a rental to boot. We can't even re-sign him because we're already in cap hell even without him.... which Madden's ELC would have helped with.

Anyone referencing the Miller trade is missing that we paid a premium for the cost certainty on his contract which Toffoli does not have.

There's no real upside to this deal. We basically have to win the cup this year for this trade to be a win. This is a desperate GM who knows his job is on the line.

? Madden is not the equivalent of a 1st round pick.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
To be fair, Madden is on a Gaudette-like trajectory. So if Gaudette is no world-beater to you, you might like this trade a little more than I do.

I look at Madden and like the skill but 5 10 150 lbs in NHL he needs Gretzky skills to survive that's the unknown and if he does root for the kid but is a long shot he is a huge impact player .

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It absolutely relates in that it is a bad asset management move. Youre moving a B+ prospect and a 2nd round draft pick for 20 games of a 45 point player.

Do you really think this team built like it is can make it past the 2nd round? They are routinely out shot, out chanced, and out played every single game.

San Jose made the conference finals last year. What did that do for them?

JB likely plans to re-sign him and has an idea of how to do it. Has JB said anything to make you think he's going all-in this year? People just assume he's an idiot and has no plan, it's a bias.

One more trade for a D and I would say they have a good chance. If SJ did it last year, it goes to show you how wide open the Pacific division bracket is. Also, the Stanley Cup winners from last year are only 5 points up on us with equal games played. We are a point up on the Coyotes with 3 in hand, (at this point I would consider the Preds to be the 8th place team due to games in hand), 4 up on the Preds with a 1 game deficit, 1 up on the Flames with 2 in hand, 1 behind Vegas with 2 in hand. We had a recent home slump, but we are still in a good position.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
One big pro to this deal is that it sends a message to the team that we intend to compete this year. Roster player-wise, we turned Schaller into Toffoli, that's a big upgrade right now. It also gives EP some support to make the playoffs while BB is nursing his injury. A conditional 2nd on re-signing him is no big deal, a re-signed Toffoli is worth more than a 2nd to us. It sucks to give up on Madden, he's having a great year in the NCAA, but he should doing well in that league as a 20 year old. We did well to snag him early in the 3rd round, and now that pick turns into immediate help for us.

You have the condition wrong.

It's a guaranteed 2nd 2020 PLUS a 4th round pick if he signs.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

Do you really think this team built like it is can make it past the 2nd round?

Or you’re moving those assets for 5 potential playoff runs with Toffoli. They wouldn’t make this trade if the intention was to let him walk. Expect contract talks to open up sooner than later.

Yes, I could see this team get past the 2nd rd. I could also see them not win any rounds. The west is wide open. Most matchups are essentially coin flips.

Look at what happened to the right side-

Boeser- out multiple weeks
Ferland- misses 70 games. Done
Leivo- out longterm

The right wing has been decimated with injuries. The players deserve this move right now, especially Bo.

This isn’t a video game. Winning matters.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I can see Eriksson retiring... 8 million left but he gets a 3 million signing bonus this summer, he can wait till he gets that then just retire and not have to deal with 2 years riding a bus, he’s made a ton of money. Hopefully it comes to this as it would be huge if we can convince him to do this.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Im acting like he’s a star because I listed him as a 3rd line centre?

I specifically mentioned Madden and the right wing competition.

Look at either position, and you can see why I think Madden would be in tough...

You're acting like he's set in stone and that a prospect like Madden who is producing very well in college couldn't possibly compete and take his job.

Reactions: dps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad