Confirmed with Link: [VAN/LA] Canucks acquire F Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd Round Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
How is he going to re-sign him? With what cap space?

He already has to re-sign our #2 defenceman (Tanev) our #1 goalie (Markstrom) and several other RFAs with no cap space. What assets is he going to pay to get rid of Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson?

Why does he have to strictly say that? Actions speak louder than words. He was already traded a 1st and a 2nd and one of our top prospects? In what world is that not going all in?

This team gets out shot, out chanced, out played nearly every game. This is not a team that should be going all in on a playoff run.

How can we afford to trade for a D? With what cap space or assets?

This team is a 2 game losing streak away from being outside of the playoffs. This is not the time to go all in.

I wish that I had the optimism that some of you do, but I just don't see it. This is another move from Benning that just seems to be an now move when this team should not be going all in.
Do you not know how to relax?Benning just made this team a hell of a lot better. The West is tight and almost all teams are 2 games away from the outside looking in. Sit back and have some fun watching your team down the stretch drive. Some of you people... how can you be so stressed over something that's meant to be entertaining lol

Reactions: Jimnastic

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Madden was likely going back to school for another year at least after this one (according to madden on 1040 this evening.) A lot could change with the team in that time.

Reactions: vcanuck

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Madden could walk as a college free agent, or Toffoli plays a huge part of our Stanley cup winning team and re-signs for less.

choose wisely :cool:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Do you not know how to relax?Benning just made this team a hell of a lot better. The West is tight and almost all teams are 2 games away from the outside looking in. Sit back and have some fun watching your team down the stretch drive. Some of you people... how can you be so stressed over something that's meant to be entertaining lol

Because we think of more then a few months ahead.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Benning has a history of overpaying in almost every trade he has made in his tenure here. Plenty of people said the exact same thing as I did, it was an overpayment and the Canucks should not be giving up a 1st round pick.

Benning has multiple times honed in on a single player and moved mountains to get him.

Tampa had to move him. They had zero cap room to re-sign point. It was clear to anybody looking they had to move him.

In every trade and contract negotiation that I can recall since he has joined this team, Benning has overpaid He cant keep getting the benefit of the doubt that hes getting the best deal possible.

Early Benning didn't do great last couple seasons better drafting has been reasonable to good all along

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Because we think of more then a few months ahead.
So do I - we lost a good piece in Madden (who may or may not equate to anything special in the NHL) for a proven playoff performer. Idk man - at the end of the day it's entertainment. I don't pay the bills or have the stress to waste on something that I have no control over.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless Benning can miraculously clear some cap space this off-season, there's 'zero chance' they can re-sign Tofoli. So basically he's a rental at the cost of Madden and a second-round draft pick.

Is this a fair price? Well, it's entirely predicated on the Canucks being a playoff team. If they fall short, then the trade becomes ridiculously lopsided in terms of what they gave up for just 25 games of Tyler Tofoli.

That's why Benning may not be done yet. There's as big or bigger need on the blue-line. But with zero cap-space, not sure what he can pull off.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Don’t know if Forest has spoken yet on why he did the trade but I assume:

1. Toffolio has history with Pearson
2. Happy with Gaudette which made Madden expendable.

Either way, huge cost for someone who is likely gone after the season and no guarantee this team even makes the playoffs this season.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Madden could walk as a college free agent, or Toffoli plays a huge part of our Stanley cup winning team and re-signs for less.

choose wisely :cool:
Who the f*** thinks this is a Stanley cup caliber team or that the coaching staff is near good enough? Canucks will be lucky to win a couple games in the playoffs and that would be on the back of markstrom.

this team will be lucky to make the playoffs with the way they have played since November. There isn’t much about this team that points to a deep playoff run if they get there. This team gets caved in game after game playing a stupid system, and green continually gets his ass handed to him by better coaches.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Who the **** thinks this is a Stanley cup caliber team or that the coaching staff is near good enough? Canucks will be lucky to win a couple games in the playoffs and that would be on the back of markstrom.

this team will be lucky to make the playoffs with the way they have played since November. There isn’t much about this team that points to a deep playoff run if they get there. This team gets caved in game after game playing a stupid system, and green continually gets his ass handed to him by better coaches.

it's called a joke guy, settle down.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Unless Benning can miraculously clear some cap space this off-season, there's 'zero chance' they can re-sign Tofoli. So basically he's a rental at the cost of Madden and a second-round draft pick.

Is this a fair price? Well, it's entirely predicated on the Canucks being a playoff team. If they fall short, then the trade becomes ridiculously lopsided in terms of what they gave up for just 25 games of Tyler Tofoli.

That's why Benning may not be done yet. There's as big or bigger need on the blue-line. But with zero cap-space, not sure what he can pull off.

Stecher and Sutter are gone this week or on Monday is my prediction.

Rafferty can step in right away to replace Stecher.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I like toffoli. Price is fair too

I like Toffoli. If the only important criterion was whether the Canucks make the playoffs this season I'd think the trade was ok.

But there are other criteria and this is an idiotic trade.

And while it will be difficult for them to understand, just so the Bros don't accuse those that see the trade for what it is of moving goalposts later, it is an idiotic trade regardless of:

-whether Toffoli plays well for the Canucks
-whether Toffoli re-signs with the Canucks
-what kind of player Tyler Madden develops into
-what kind of player(s) is or are selected with the pick(s) traded away
-whether the Canucks make the 2020 playoffs or, indeed, how they do in the playoffs short of winning the 2020 Stanley Cup

Those that don't understand that are as short-sighted as our beloved leader, for whom thinking ahead doesn't extend as far as the upcoming offseason. Giving away one of the team's better prospects, a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick and possibly a 4th round pick for two players to help right now while vastly increasing the team's cap hit (particularly if Toffoli is extended) is a direction that seems ridiculous to me. I know, those picks and prospects are like tickets on horse races, but some of those tickets pan out and it is those tickets that lead to having a successful team in the future. Getting rid of a large number of those tickets leads to losing, either because you miss out on whichever of those tickets would have panned out or because your scouting or development was so bad that your future was bleak anyway.

Further, imo going all-in on rentals is almost always bad management. It always loses on long-term player value and rarely gains anything of any lasting importance in the short term.

At least the trade makes it less likely that someone will look silly for closing the tanking thread. The Canucks are down to 3rd place in the Pacific (though with games in hand over Vegas), one point ahead of Calgary and Arizona (for 3rd in division/wildcard) though the Canucks have games in hand and four ahead of Nashville (which has a game in hand on the Canucks.) Further, they've been getting thoroughly outplayed and are only winning when their goalie plays at a Vezina trophy level. Don't get me wrong-I no longer favour the Canucks missing the playoffs this season. I want to get rid of that first rounder to New Jersey or whomever ends up with it as cheaply as possible and as soon as possible and think the only high-level member of the management team the Canucks will lose this summer will be Brackett-but the playoffs weren't looking like a sure thing.

Ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The team actually has a really solid forward group (When healthy) and I do think they could make a run in the weaker west but with Green, at the helm, I doubt that happens.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I like Toffoli but how have they not managed to get rid of some future cap hit after giving up all that? jfc

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Before I dig into what will no doubt be a toxic thread I wished to comment on the trade itself. Losing Madden is a kick in the balls. Adding a 2nd, which means no picks till the 3rd next year, feels like being bent over without lube. So there it is. My initial reaction to seeing the trade and cost.

After several hours to reflect. Benning trying to save his job no doubt. Feels like a harsh overpay unless we can re-sign Toffoli to a cap friendly deal. Then I feel the cost was inevitable. I am worried about this trade in the long run though, If Madden becomes an NHL player of decent regard this will go down as a big loss. The 2nd is a lottery ticket but it is also prospect depth which is crucial in a cap world. I dunno... Wanting to be positive about this but my gut just does not like it. Perhaps Toffoli fits like a glove between Horvat and Pearson and does some damage. Maybe he see's a bright future and signs at a cap friendly deal. Hopes and dreams and all that stuff....

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Toffoli acquisition shows Canucks believe in mounting playoff run - Sportsnet.ca

MacIntyre Logic:

"If you listed the Canucks’ top-five prospects, Madden doesn’t make it. Vancouver is keeping Vasily Podkolzin, Nils Hoglander, Olli Juolevi, Kole Lind and Mike DiPietro. There are probably at least another couple of prospects ahead of Madden."

Of course, Iain, because any prospect a team keeps is necessarily better than the prospect they traded. o_O And LMFAO, who would those "at least another couple of prospects ahead of Madden" be?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Toffoli acquisition shows Canucks believe in mounting playoff run - Sportsnet.ca

MacIntyre Logic:

"If you listed the Canucks’ top-five prospects, Madden doesn’t make it. Vancouver is keeping Vasily Podkolzin, Nils Hoglander, Olli Juolevi, Kole Lind and Mike DiPietro. There are probably at least another couple of prospects ahead of Madden."

Of course, Iain, because any prospect a team keeps is necessarily better than the prospect they traded. o_O And LMFAO, who would those "another couple of prospects ahead of Madden" be?

If that's their top five prospects after the past howevermany years they've had, then you'd better hope they've got a lot of depth beyond those five.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
The fact that their is a condition on the pick leads me to believe Benning will attempt to resign Toffoli

Those that are saying Canucks have no cap, Ferland may well never play again

Roughly 21-24M to resign
Toffoli
Markstrom
Virtanen
Leivo
Tanev
Stecher
Gaudette

Cap is going to be close but should make it work, my thought is Stecher or Tanev are let go to open room for Rafferty or Juolevi next year, either that or a mid level/depth piece is traded for cheap like a Sutter or Benn on the final year of their contract to free up room.

Also have to factor in Hoglander and Lind making pushes for the main roster, thus maybe making Sutter and Roussell expendable

Reactions: TheNewKid

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

MacIntyre Logic:

Of course, Iain, because any prospect a team keeps is necessarily better than the prospect they traded. o_O And LMFAO, who would those "at least another couple of prospects ahead of Madden" be?

Madden was no worse than the 3rd best prospect the Canucks had and everyone knows that, with a big drop off after. I would trade Juolevi Lind and Dipietro for Madden alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad