Confirmed with Link: [VAN/LA] Canucks acquire F Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd Round Pick

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Fair deal, however the Canucks are not in a position to contend and have cap issues next year.

Reactions: Red

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
JB likely plans to re-sign him and has an idea of how to do it. Has JB said anything to make you think he's going all-in this year? People just assume he's an idiot and has no plan, it's a bias.

One more trade for a D and I would say they have a good chance. If SJ did it last year, it goes to show you how wide open the Pacific division bracket is. Also, the Stanley Cup winners from last year are only 5 points up on us with equal games played. We are a point up on the Coyotes with 3 in hand, (at this point I would consider the Preds to be the 8th place team due to games in hand), 4 up on the Preds with a 1 game deficit, 1 up on the Flames with 2 in hand, 1 behind Vegas with 2 in hand. We had a recent home slump, but we are still in a good position.

With what cap space?

And yes, people assume Benning is an idiot and has no plan. It isn't bias. It's an astute observation of Benning's work over the past 6 years.

Yourwifeson

Dec 19, 2019
You guys can lose your sh*t all you want. It is a high price to pay - but it's a sellers market.

Gaudette makes Madden expendable - down the middle we have Miller/Bo/Gauds/Beagle with Focht waiting in the pipes... who IMO is better than Madden.
Cant we just throw madden on the wing? Centre depth is good. Would be nice to have someone take Eriksson's spot

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
At least Horvat might finally have a legit second line to play with and not be strapped to a Loui Eriksson

Reactions: Sneezy

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
JB likely plans to re-sign him and has an idea of how to do it. Has JB said anything to make you think he's going all-in this year? People just assume he's an idiot and has no plan, it's a bias.

One more trade for a D and I would say they have a good chance. If SJ did it last year, it goes to show you how wide open the Pacific division bracket is. Also, the Stanley Cup winners from last year are only 5 points up on us with equal games played. We are a point up on the Coyotes with 3 in hand, (at this point I would consider the Preds to be the 8th place team due to games in hand), 4 up on the Preds with a 1 game deficit, 1 up on the Flames with 2 in hand, 1 behind Vegas with 2 in hand. We had a recent home slump, but we are still in a good position.

How is he going to re-sign him? With what cap space?

He already has to re-sign our #2 defenceman (Tanev) our #1 goalie (Markstrom) and several other RFAs with no cap space. What assets is he going to pay to get rid of Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson?

Why does he have to strictly say that? Actions speak louder than words. He was already traded a 1st and a 2nd and one of our top prospects? In what world is that not going all in?

This team gets out shot, out chanced, out played nearly every game. This is not a team that should be going all in on a playoff run.

How can we afford to trade for a D? With what cap space or assets?

This team is a 2 game losing streak away from being outside of the playoffs. This is not the time to go all in.

I wish that I had the optimism that some of you do, but I just don't see it. This is another move from Benning that just seems to be an now move when this team should not be going all in.

Reactions: dps

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I can see Eriksson retiring... 8 million left but he gets a 3 million signing bonus this summer, he can wait till he gets that then just retire and not have to deal with 2 years riding a bus, he’s made a ton of money. Hopefully it comes to this as it would be huge if we can convince him to do this.
Has the NHL ever let a player keep his signing bonus after retiring immediately after being paid?

Shipachyov is the only example I can recall who retired after a big signing bonus. And he had to give almost all of it back to Vegas.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
And my reply to that is the same that I had the day of the Miller trade. Its a bad trade.

Now let me be clear in my opinion, I love Miller as a player. He is a great fit on this team and the team is better for having him on it.

But the trade itself was not good. The result can be good and still be a bad trade. Benning was in a perfect position to get Miller for cheap. He was coming off a 13 goal, 47 point season that he finished on the third line. Tampa Bay HAD to move him to re-sign Point.

That is not a situation where you trade a first and a third for a 47 point player. Thats when you are supposed to negotiate. It was a bad trade at the time.

Like I said, Miller has been great and I am glad he is on this team. Doesnt mean that the Canucks shouldnt have gotten him cheaper, and maintained more assets.

This management group does this on every trade. They set their mind on a particular player and overpay. They bleed assets and that hurts this team in the long run.

If Miller could have been had for cheap why wasnt he moved for cheap?
Tampa was not giving him away I doubt they didn't know how good he could be if so they wouldn't have the players they do , part was they couldn't keep everything so move what you can Miller's contract made that possible .

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
Or you’re moving those assets for 5 potential playoff runs with Toffoli. They wouldn’t make this trade if the intention was to let him walk. Expect contract talks to open up sooner than later.

Yes, I could see this team get past the 2nd rd. I could also see them not win any rounds. The west is wide open. Most matchups are essentially coin flips.

Look at what happened to the right side-

Boeser- out multiple weeks
Ferland- misses 70 games. Done
Leivo- out longterm

The right wing has been decimated with injuries. The players deserve this move right now, especially Bo.

This isn’t a video game. Winning matters.

With what cap space are they re-signing him? What assets are they using to trade away Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle?
This is a move from Benning to try and save his job. Eventually the lucky bounces and winning while being out shot will stop and this team will drop. Whether its this month, or the first round of the playoffs.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
You're acting like he's set in stone and that a prospect like Madden who is producing very well in college couldn't possibly compete and take his job.

Take his job when? You certainly wouldn’t think it would happen in the next 2-3 years, at least...

Madden would likely be fighting for a spot on right wing. But even there, he looks in tough again.

Thats all without factoring in the style of play Travis Green likes. Maddens thin, wispy frame competing with the likes of Boeser, VirtAnen, Podkolzin etc...

It was a steep price to pay, but Tyler Toffoli looks like a good fit.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I don't mind the trade. The Canucks offload Tim Schaller, who is about as useless as you can get.
The Canucks get Toffoli, a decent second line scorer who has a lot of chemistry with Pearson. Horvat will have to be the new Jeff Carter of that line. We will see what Jim Benning can do "if anything" to get him signed.

I don't mind giving up the second rounder, but that gives me no reason to watch the draft this year. The Canucks barely any picks left.

Not happy about giving up Madden. I feel that this prospect could end up biting us in the ass. Tyler Madden is tearing it up this year in college, he could be a very good player in the NHL sometime very soon.

Overall, I don't love the trade, but I don't hate it either. Just disappointed we gave up on Madden so soon.

The lines look solid,

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Toffoli
Roussel Gaudette Virtanen
Leivo Beagle Sutter
Motte Eriksson

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
If Miller could have been had for cheap why wasnt he moved for cheap?
Tampa was not giving him away I doubt they didn't know how good he could be if so they wouldn't have the players they do , part was they couldn't keep everything so move what you can Miller's contract made that possible .

Benning has a history of overpaying in almost every trade he has made in his tenure here. Plenty of people said the exact same thing as I did, it was an overpayment and the Canucks should not be giving up a 1st round pick.

Benning has multiple times honed in on a single player and moved mountains to get him.

Tampa had to move him. They had zero cap room to re-sign point. It was clear to anybody looking they had to move him.

In every trade and contract negotiation that I can recall since he has joined this team, Benning has overpaid He cant keep getting the benefit of the doubt that hes getting the best deal possible.

Reactions: dps and Ozone

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
With what cap space?

And yes, people assume Benning is an idiot and has no plan. It isn't bias. It's an astute observation of Benning's work over the past 6 years.

Remember my post about hoping good ol Jimmy won't give up any major assets? Well that aged like fine turd didn't it...
:facepalm:

Again, this deal feels very much like the buy-high sell-low kind.

Eh...welcome to Van, Tyler, just demand whatever salary you want from Jimmy and he'll write you a blank cheque.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
How is he going to re-sign him? With what cap space?

He already has to re-sign our #2 defenceman (Tanev) our #1 goalie (Markstrom) and several other RFAs with no cap space. What assets is he going to pay to get rid of Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson?

Why does he have to strictly say that? Actions speak louder than words. He was already traded a 1st and a 2nd and one of our top prospects? In what world is that not going all in?

This team gets out shot, out chanced, out played nearly every game. This is not a team that should be going all in on a playoff run.

How can we afford to trade for a D? With what cap space or assets?

This team is a 2 game losing streak away from being outside of the playoffs. This is not the time to go all in.

I wish that I had the optimism that some of you do, but I just don't see it. This is another move from Benning that just seems to be an now move when this team should not be going all in.

Toffoli for a 2nd and B+ prospect is going all in? That's more of a 'keep up with the crowd' move with BB going down.

First we buy-out Sven Baertschi, that saves us $1.6M.

Tanev takes a paycut or walks, he's been not his usual self this year.

Buying out Beagle saves $1.6M, although I'm not sure he's a target.

LE, well that's been beaten to death, maybe pay his signing bonus and go for mutual termination. Maybe assign him to Utica and hope he doesn't report.

Ferlund will probably LTIR his way to retirement like Derrick Dorsett.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Read the rest of my post. Moves like this are a continuation of Benning giving away future assets at times when it is not in the teams best interests.

What does making the first round and losing do for this team? How does it benefit them more than keeping cost controlled assets such as Madden?

I don't follow the Canucks quite as closely as you guys, but isn't this strategy coming from aquilini, and benning is simply towing the line?

I thought linden was the one who wanted the more big picture outlook, or is that not accurate?

If it is accurate, and benning didn't want to play ball, he would probably be out of the picture like linden , and aquilini would find someone else to make these kinds of moves.

Reactions: dombrova22

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Take his job when? You certainly wouldn’t think it would happen in the next 2-3 years, at least...

Madden would likely be fighting for a spot on right wing. But even there, he looks in tough again.

Thats all without factoring in the style of play Travis Green likes. Maddens thin, wispy frame competing with the likes of Boeser, VirtAnen, Podkolzin etc...

Do you know how this team will look in 2-3 years? The team is headed straight for a cap crunch. Players like Madden, if they can play in the NHL, will be super valuable for this team. Instead Benning just pissed that way acting like he's trying to contend for the Cup when he's really just trying to save his job by making the playoffs.

Reactions: dps and CS95

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

LMAO. This was like a week ago.

Yup, Gaudette is giving up way too much ice in high percentage shooting areas. Don't think the coaching staff will be all that comfortable having him at 3C going into the playoffs, or long term. If Sutter stays healthy, I could see him sliding into that spot by year's end.

With Madden coming, I could see Gaudetter dealt to upgrade the roster elsewhere. Not the right skillset to slot in behind Pettersson and Bo.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Wish they gave up a 2021 second instead. Theres literally no point in paying attention to the draft this year.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Toffoli for a 2nd and B+ prospect is going all in? That's more of a 'keep up with the crowd' move with BB going down.

LE, well that's been beaten to death, maybe pay his signing bonus and go for mutual termination. Maybe assign him to Utica and hope he doesn't report.

:laugh:

Tanev isn't going to take a paycut. Let him walk and our defense gets a lot worse. Good job there.

Wishing upon a star that you can get rid of Eriksson sounds like an astute plan. :laugh:

Buying out several bad contracts...still carries a cap hit lol.

Ferland will probably be on LTIR, sure, but don't forget we'll be taking a hit for Pettersson and Hughes's bonuses because we're capped out this year. And don't forget we'll need to re-sign them both by 2021 and that's likely to cost close to $20M.

CS95

Oct 11, 2016

Losing Tanev only hurts this team. While he hasnt been his usual self he is still one of the top 3 Dmen on this team. Not that I advocate signing him long term. My point is that with out him, with Edler being a year older, Myers a year older, this defence is not where it need to be to make a run in the playoffs.

2nd and a B+ prospect is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to assets this company has given away. Why are we giving away assets for 20ish games of a player that we likely cant afford next season. How does that get us any closer to the end goal of winning the Stanley Cup?

This team is not at the point where they should be spending significant assets to buy at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad