Confirmed with Link: [VAN/LA] Canucks acquire F Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd Round Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ok so now we have had the entire manchester line

and it cost us jared mccann, tyler madden, and three second round picks

20131114_pjc_ag8_250.0.jpg

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
@Melvin
Even value wise it's a terrible deal. 23 games of Toffoli is in no way worth a prospect like Madden AND a 2nd, irrespective of context. And it's worse when you consider context.
At first glance, Toffoli's relative possession numbers look decent. Are looks deceiving? Yeah, the Kings are a pretty bad team, but I think, at least this year, he looks solid. A positive out of this deal, if true, is that he doesn't bleed possession. The last thing the Canucks needed, imo, was to bring in an underwhelming possession player like Wayne Simmonds. So that, at least, is a positive.

Fully in agreement here that the negatives outweigh the positives here, though. Jim Benning is an idiot.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
They need to demote Eriksson to Utica right now. Give him thought over the summer as to what his life would be like if he does not agree to terminate his contract after his signing bonus kicks in this year.

Heck, offer him 4 million dollars to be a special advisor to Trent Cull if he will just go away.

Reactions: bbud

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
With the Canucks 3 young centre men, and Toffoli, Boeser and Virtanen in the mix, does anyone think Tyler Madden would crack this top 9 over the next 3-4 years? Never mind Podkolzin and Leivo on that right side to boot...

The team must be absolutely thrilled right now. They just turned Schaller into Toffoli! :laugh:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
@Melvin

At first glance, Toffoli's relative possession numbers look decent. Are looks deceiving? Yeah, the Kings are a pretty bad team, but I think, at least this year, he looks solid. A positive out of this deal, if true, is that he doesn't bleed possession. The last thing the Canucks needed, imo, was to bring in an underwhelming possession player like Wayne Simmonds. So that, at least, is a positive.

Fully in agreement here that the negatives outweigh the positives here, though. Jim Benning is an idiot.

I don't know if Connor McDavid is worth it for 23 games, honestly.

I HATE rental trades.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
at this point, making the playoffs isn't enough. we have no first, no second, traded our last two thirds. I expect a trade for a defenseman is coming. this division is ripe for a run so I understand Benning putting a large stack of chips in but just making the playoffs is not enough for me with all that has been surrendered here.

This is literally the only window Benning will have. The Pacific is a mess right now and Markstrom is providing otherwordly goaltending. Next year they're going to lose pieces off the roster and probably experience some regression in the goaltending department. So I'm kinda fine with the "all-in" move. Toffoli is definitely a guy I wanted too.

Pros
- Toffoli is a fantastic play-driver
- Proven experience with Pearson
- Need someone in the top-six with Boeser out longer-term

Cons
- As Benning is wont to do, he paid a premium
- Team is capped out, unlikely to re-sign Toffoli
- No picks until the third round

The latter cons are really the result of earlier moves (Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Myers, Miller). In a vacuum, I like the Toffoli deal. But the team is going to be in a very precarious position going forward: Few picks, capped out, and likely facing mild regression. This is quite possible the best the team is going to be in the Benning era. With that context in mind...the deal probably shouldn't have been made.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Yikes... Couldn't that package of landed us legit defencemen? How are we going to fill our defense out and re-sign all our middle 6 forwards?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
With the Canucks 3 young centre men, and Toffoli, Boeser and Virtanen in the mix, does anyone think Tyler Madden would crack this top 9 over the next 3-4 years? Never mind Podkolzin and Leivo on that right side to boot...

The team must be absolutely thrilled right now. They just turned Schaller into Toffoli! :laugh:

No one's adding Fochts name who looks like a good prospect also.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
So I’m sorry, we just gave up all that for a guy with less points than Virtanen this year? Who’s a free agent? Like, this is not the player he once was.

Not saying it's a great deal, context considered, but Toffoli is vastly superior to Virtanen.

Points aren't the whole story. Toffoli drives play much better. His Isolated Impact and RAPM are sterling. He creates chances, and isn't on the receiving end of many. LA as a whole is low-scoring, so the points aren't there.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I’ll wait till the summer to judge this trade, it has potential to be great or bad, if we re-sign him and go on a solid cup run this is worth it.

Miller Petterson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Toffoli
Roussel Gaudette Virtanen
Sutter Beagle MacEwen

that’s very very solid...

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Why is it the one year it’s a sellers market we’re buying, and we haven’t been able to get anything at the deadline for the past 5 years?

Who would you sell and who wants to pay what easy to say harder to know if anyone's offered a worthwhile deal.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I don't know if Connor McDavid is worth it for 23 games, honestly.

I HATE rental trades.
Yeah. At least with Miller, like you said, you get some term on him at a really nice cap hit. Even with Blake Coleman, you get him for the rest of this year and next at a very manageable hit. The Canucks are not going to be able to re-sign Toffoli unless they downgrade in other places. For example, not-resigning Tanev and/or Markstrom. As much as Tanev has regressed, losing him just to keep Toffoli around is beyond stupid. I'm sure the usual suspects will bring up that Pearson is going to convince him to take a pay cut to stay with us cause they're best buddies, or something. Benning is always two steps ahead, am I right?

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
No one's adding Fochts name who looks like a good prospect also.

Focht aside, with the emergence of Gaudette, you have to think Madden would have been in tough to ever play centre ice for the Canucks.

Would that have made him consider not signing in Vancouver? Tough to say. Probably would depend if he sees himself as a centre or winger in the NHL.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yikes... Couldn't that package of landed us legit defencemen? How are we going to fill our defense out and re-sign all our middle 6 forwards?

Harman had a good list of defense targets. I think a guy like Kulak (solid underlying numbers) could be had cheaply. Montreal doesn't seem to value him a ton. And he has extra value to a capped-out team like us considering he has cost certainty at a low-cap hit.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I have a feeling Demko and/or Gaudette will be dangled for more "help" or be used as chips to unload some garbage.

On a side note: trades like this make keeping Judd Bracket even more important.

Reactions: dps

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
a 20 year old under PPG CHL center is not a great prospect usually. Anything that makes him better?

I watched him in pre season liked the kids game a work prospects are all just that prospects some make the jump become good NHL players most don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad