Confirmed with Link: VAN/COL Poolman (20% retained) + 2025 4th for Erik Brannstrom(Waived)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This pretty much confirms 100% we’re making a significant deal at the deadline, so the real question is who might be available, let’s put our trading hats on and try to figure this out shall we!
My first fear is what do we give up at the deadline then?

It's not like our system is that great and while we had a promising season last year, it was unexpected and sometimes these things balance out a bit.

Sure if EP40 is playing like he can, I can why we would go all in on a deep run but for me this trade is just breathing room, if we need it, not a precursor.

Although after writing this it's not how this regime seems to think so sure maybe they are 100% in on another big deal next deadline.

Reactions: David71 and Regal

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
My first fear is what do we give up at the deadline then?

It's not like our system is that great and while we had a promising season last year, it was unexpected and sometimes these things balance out a bit.

Sure if EP40 is playing like he can, I can why we would go all in on a deep run but for me this trade is just breathing room, if we need it, not a precursor.

Although after writing this it's not how this regime seems to think so sure maybe they are 100% in on another big deal next deadline.
1st and 3rd for a player.
2nd and <not Willander/Lekk> for another player.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This pretty much confirms 100% we’re making a significant deal at the deadline, so the real question is who might be available, let’s put our trading hats on and try to figure this out shall we!
My super early guess is a strong two-way LHD on a similar or higher level than Soucy. Someone that shakes free like Gavrikov or Pettersson?

And they’ll pay for retention on the defender, or a rental right hand 3C to play the Lindholm role, probably at a lower cost

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
So with a 23/23 roster and assuming Bains is sent down, the Canucks will have 0.48m in cap space to start the season. Since Raty isn't eligible for waivers, they can toll daily capspace but sending him to Abbotsford. With Raty in Abbotsford, that increases cap space to 1.31m which allows for significant accrual on those days.

With everyone healthy and Silovs & Raty in the AHL, that puts the Canucks at 2.165m.
you're keeping both Friedman and Juulsen then? I suppose you could always play Friedman at F if someone got sick or hurt on gameday. Makes sense to me...protect assets and maximize trade deadline cap flexibility.

Reactions: Vector

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
1st and 3rd for a player.
2nd and <not Willander/Lekk> for another player.
Man I sure hope not as that other player is most likely EP2.0 and like i said our pipeline really isn't that good aside from a couple of guys.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I was more excited about this deal before we waived Brannstrom. Ah well. They've been trying to move Poolman's salary for a while and it's finally done. I feel bad for Poolman. Hopefully he can function normally while spending his millions.

Has Brannstrom been that bad? I thought he might have been a good fit alongside one of our trees.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I was more excited about this deal before we waived Brannstrom. Ah well. They've been trying to move Poolman's salary for a while and it's finally done. I feel bad for Poolman. Hopefully he can function normally while spending his millions.

Has Brannstrom been that bad? I thought he might have been a good fit alongside one of our trees.

Brannstrom just didn’t put together a standout camp for Colorado, and had some rough moments defensively in preseason play. Competing for a bottom pairing job with the likes of Calvin De Haan, Oliver Kylington and Sam Malinski, Brannstrom was soundly outperformed by perhaps his most comparable competition for a job in Malinski.

With the claiming of John Ludvig, a more physical breed of defenseman from the Pittsburgh Penguins yesterday, it crowded the competition even further.

Reactions: B-rock and Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Man I sure hope not as that other player is most likely EP2.0 and like i said our pipeline really isn't that good aside from a couple of guys.
Yeah would hate to trade guys like that away. Could also be guys from this last draft if any of them exceeds expectations

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Given the Canucks schedule, the Canucks can actually start with over 2m in capspace. First day of the regular season is on Tuesday. Canucks can leave Demko as active and start Silovs & Raty in the AHL. On Wednesday, place Demko on IR and recall Silovs and Raty. Send down Raty the next day. Recall him for Friday. Then send him down for the three day break before the road trip. Won't be able to play this game during the 8 day road trip but have a 10 day home stand immediately afterward where they can accrue extra space on 7 of those days. Follow that up with a 7 day road trip then a 15 day homestand with 9 off-days.

If the roster can remain healthy for this time they'll actually do pretty well on capspace accrual.

They could continue to send Silovs down on off days as well I believe. He'll still get paid the same, just a paper move.

Reactions: B-rock and arttk

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
The number of people saying "Tanev light" in the original signing thread.

ooooofffffff
Tanev light RE: missing significant time due to injury. In fact, his Canuck tenure could be arguably described as Tanev heavy since he played like 5 games.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Given the Canucks schedule, the Canucks can actually start with over 2m in capspace. First day of the regular season is on Tuesday. Canucks can leave Demko as active and start Silovs & Raty in the AHL. On Wednesday, place Demko on IR and recall Silovs and Raty. Send down Raty the next day. Recall him for Friday. Then send him down for the three day break before the road trip. Won't be able to play this game during the 8 day road trip but have a 10 day home stand immediately afterward where they can accrue extra space on 7 of those days. Follow that up with a 7 day road trip then a 15 day homestand with 9 off-days.

If the roster can remain healthy for this time they'll actually do pretty well on capspace accrual.
Vector.... How the f*** you know all this....

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
If they don't put Demko on IR they can do it.

Yeah that was what I was thinking. The problem would be with both Silovs and Raty up and Demko on the roster, they'd be at 24. Might be worth waiving Friedman or Juulsen in order to accrue that space. They could probably slip one of them through tomorrow once all the teams have set their rosters.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So Kuzmenko Mikhayev Lafferty Podkolzin (11.65m) and Poolman (2m) (13.65 total cap) all unable to help us in playoff games has been upgraded/altered to Debrusk Heinen Sherwood Bains (10m) who should be able to and have track records of being good in playoff hockey.

All for a 2nd rounder for 4th back.
Unreal

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As usual, Allvin operates two-steps ahead of his next move. The trade of Podkolzin to the Oilers was head-scratching, if you take it in isolation.

But we can see now the method in the madness. They sent a fourth rounder (probably the one they acquired for Podkolzin) and $500,000 to the Av's for Brannstrom and $2m on Poolman's contract. Then Brannstrom goes on waivers, and they have another experienced d-man for the farm, assuming he clears.

Brannstrom is probably closer to returning to Europe to play than he is ever helping the Canucks. But you can't argue with shedding $2m in cap space and actually operating under the salary cap for the first time in years.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
As usual, Allvin operates two-steps ahead of his next move. The trade of Podkolzin to the Oilers was head-scratching, if you take it in isolation.

But we can see now the method in the madness. They sent a fourth rounder (probably the one they acquired for Podkolzin) and $500,000 to the Av's for Brannstrom and $2m on Poolman's contract. Then Brannstrom goes on waivers, and they have another experienced d-man for the farm, assuming he clears.

Brannstrom is probably closer to returning to Europe to play than he is ever helping the Canucks. But you can't argue with shedding $2m in cap space and actually operating under the salary cap for the first time in years.

How so?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad