Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Ilya Mikheyev(15% Retained), Sam Lafferty(Rights), 2027 2nd round pick for 2027 4th round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Have you been to New Jersey?

no I haven't but that's such a small factor, playing there a guy can sleep in his own bed on road trips to the NYR, NYI, Philly, Boston ect and travel matters when players get older.
Honestly compare the two cities and tell me it's a comparison.
There isn't but Hughes has always been a real big city guy (Toronto, NJ is very close to New York which Vancouver doesn't compare to either and different people have different tastes.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
no I haven't but that's such a small factor, playing there a guy can sleep in his own bed on road trips to the NYR, NYI, Philly, Boston ect and travel matters when players get older.

There isn't but Hughes has always been a real big city guy (Toronto, NJ is very close to New York which Vancouver doesn't compare to either and different people have different tastes.

Call it a hunch, but I'm not getting too much into it.

Quinn aint going no where, and I'd give a 75% chance Jack will be a Canuck.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
It's more likely Jack comes to Vancouver IMO.

I honestly expect it at this point, which I why I find it so hard to hate Jack Hughes.

Going to be crazy when he signs here.
Quinn is exactly the kind of person that would rather double and triple down on doing it the hard way than to take the easy way out. I've never been worried that he leaves.

I think it's so interesting that Jack and Quinn are so different. Jack is a party guy that has a childish impudent attitude when things don't go his way. Quinn is quite studious and has this internal drive at all times.

My theory is, Jack grew up as the typical jock, good looking, athletic and popular, so his world view is behind this filter that he's always peered through.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I haven't read through the last 3 or 4 pages so I apologize if this has been brought up...

For the people worried about the retention and thusly poo pooing this deal, keep in mind that the salary cap went up by over 300k vs projection this year. Maybe Canucks mgmt has s pretty good idea about where the upper limits of the cap is going vs the pundits and other GM's. I suspect the cost as it seems today won't feel as onerous in the very near future. 😉

I absolutely love the complexity of this trade. Lots of give and take with so many odd pieces. Rights to Lafferty? Both draft picks in 2027? 15% retention? Yesterday we saw someone dump a better player owed less money straight up for a 2nd with nothing coming back.
The rights to Lafferty is the part I don't understand. Like a false clue in an escape room...just ignore it or you won't see the real clue!!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That's an interesting take and any reason to think this?

I don't see either thing happening to be honest.

I see mor chance of Bedard coming to Vancouver haha, because he's going day in and day out knowing he's associated with a organization of scumbag and sex offenders.

Wry n Ginger

Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
the part i don’t understand is why is laf in the trade? he’ll be a UFA in a few days right?

the weird thing is, for their first thirty-odd games both guys were excellent middle sixers scoring at 20-25 goal paces and looking like future fan favourites. then they each went stone cold.

i mind of hate that the teams that beat us all did it with an army of second rounders that majorly hit. duncan keith, bolland, bickell, corey crawford, bergeron, krejci, lucic, wayne simmonds (traded for m richards), voynov, to a lesser degree kyle clifford, and even san jose with vlasic and matt carle (traded for dan boyle).

and we were out there with mason raymond.

any mik statue needs to have his actual hands of stone welded into the sculpture
Maybe a Colossus statue shooting a puck at the lions gate Bridge but hitting the north shore mountains? Nvm...probably hits Whistler...

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Lafferty is UFA so this isn’t the case. They can go 10% over the Cap anyways during the off-season

In past seasons I recall the 10% starting at the draft, but I don't remember.

If the team is looking to make deals before then, than that extra space now could matter.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Yeah and I would argue that Garland is not bad either, might be a luxury we eventually have to part with, but most if not all our current contracts are pretty ok.

Of course if it was not for OEL we'd be in even better shape.

Garland was arguably our most valuable forward these playoffs (alongside Miller & Boeser). Great player, good contract.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
2024 Playoffs…

1. Miller
2. Boeser
3. Garland
4. Lindholm
5. Zadorov
6. Silovs
7. Myers
8. Soucy
9. Joshua
10. Suter

11. Hughes
12. Hronek
13. Blueger
14. Di Giuseppe
15. Pettersson
16. Hoglander
17. Cole
18. Aman

19. Lafferty
20. Juulsen
21. Mikheyev

N/A: Podkolzin/Karlsson

Had Mikheyev ranked last.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yes, if only Allvin had a crystal ball and could foresee Mikheyev exploding his knee seconds into his tenure as a Canuck.

They let him play on that knee for half a season.

This is a self inflicted wound. Good on then for stitching it up.
Better to have just stuck with the contract until there was one year remaining, then package him with a 1st for Darnell Nurse.

The ability to move on from a signing that didn't work rather than going sunk cost fallacy is something that should be lauded.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I haven't read through the last 3 or 4 pages so I apologize if this has been brought up...

For the people worried about the retention and thusly poo pooing this deal, keep in mind that the salary cap went up by over 300k vs projection this year. Maybe Canucks mgmt has s pretty good idea about where the upper limits of the cap is going vs the pundits and other GM's. I suspect the cost as it seems today won't feel as onerous in the very near future. 😉
Wait a minute!

Will the cap go up only for us this year!?

Wry n Ginger

Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Wait a minute!

Will the cap go up only for us this year!?
Of course not. The point is that the decision was made with either more clarity on what the cap was actually going up by, or the deal was made in a situation with more constraints but they did it anyway.

Either way they were comfortable with the deals with more variables and less money.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Quinn is exactly the kind of person that would rather double and triple down on doing it the hard way than to take the easy way out. I've never been worried that he leaves.

I think it's so interesting that Jack and Quinn are so different. Jack is a party guy that has a childish impudent attitude when things don't go his way. Quinn is quite studious and has this internal drive at all times.

My theory is, Jack grew up as the typical jock, good looking, athletic and popular, so his world view is behind this filter that he's always peered through.
I remember when Jack got bodied at a WJC game and Quinn immediately dropped the gloves and charged in on the guy who hit him. Knew at that moment that he's a gamer

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
curious to know what the Canucks are planning for the off season. They have cap space to do something
i havent been this excited for a canucks offseason since dave nonis aquired luongo in 2006 and that was a complete shocker to me and the 2010 signings of dan hamhuis/malhotra key signings that led to them within one win away from a cup in 2011.

Can we afford Guentzel, Zadorov, Joshua?
not joshua. i think hes gone somewhere for his last chance of a big payday. maybe back home to detroit?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not sure why we are debating the future of Quinn and Jack, but I would never question Americans preferring to play in the USA regardless of how good or crappy we think the city is. I also think that Quinn would like to play with at least one of his brothers before he is done.

I also think winning the Cup as a captain is special and would undoubtedly cross Quinn’s mind all else being equal.

Reactions: wetcoast

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
First this
Screenshot_20240627_025140_Chrome.jpg

Then no more of this
Screenshot_20240403_214121_Gallery.jpg

Life is going great
images (8).jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: DimitriL07 and Flik

Ad