Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Ilya Mikheyev(15% Retained), Sam Lafferty(Rights), 2027 2nd round pick for 2027 4th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I see mor chance of Bedard coming to Vancouver haha, because he's going day in and day out knowing he's associated with a organization of scumbag and sex offenders.

Man this is getting old and does anyone think Bedard is dying to leave the Blacks Hawks due to this perception of the Black Hawks somewhat being behind everything?

Most organizations blunder these types of things not only in sports and a lot of the information is speculation and after the fact stuff as horrible as it was.

Let's stick to hockey though shall we?

Reactions: Nick Lang and bh53

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Of course not. The point is that the decision was made with either more clarity on what the cap was actually going up by, or the deal was made in a situation with more constraints but they did it anyway.

Either way they were comfortable with the deals with more variables and less money.
I'm sure they are comfortable with every move they end up making.

They were comfortable extending Kuzmenko and then they were comfortable dumping him in a trade few months later.

With a proper summer of training (instead of rehabbing) and his knee being finally as healthy as it will be post surgery, I expect Mikheyev to rebound in 2024-25 season.

To me, this type of trade is a symptom of the time constraint the current plan has. We dont have time to wait and see if Mik can regain form or become a positive trade asset.

Im not saying it cant or wont work, the plan that is. They've already show to be incredibly adept at finding talent from nowhere. They just need to keep doing it year in and year out.

Being critical of the management for the chain of events that got us here is perfectly reasonable.

Man this is getting old and does anyone think Bedard is dying to leave the Blacks Hawks due to this perception of the Black Hawks somewhat being behind everything?

Most organizations blunder these types of things not only in sports and a lot of the information is speculation and after the fact stuff as horrible as it was.

Let's stick to hockey though shall we?
It is very much a part of hockey.

How the Blackhawks organisation was punished for this atrocity vs much smaller incidents is a blemish on the entire game.

Reactions: Flik

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm sure they are comfortable with every move they end up making.

They were comfortable extending Kuzmenko and then they were comfortable dumping him in a trade few months later.

With a proper summer of training (instead of rehabbing) and his knee being finally as healthy as it will be post surgery, I expect Mikheyev to rebound in 2024-25 season.

To me, this type of trade is a symptom of the time constraint the current plan has. We dont have time to wait and see if Mik can regain form or become a positive trade asset.

Im not saying it cant or wont work, the plan that is. They've already show to be incredibly adept at finding talent from nowhere. They just need to keep doing it year in and year out.

Being critical of the management for the chain of events that got us here is perfectly reasonable.
This is in part true but IMO the biggest reason to move Ilya was for cap space and one can't really blame the canucks after the season they had and age of the core.

It is very much a part of hockey.

How the Blackhawks organisation was punished for this atrocity vs much smaller incidents is a blemish on the entire game.
I really don't think that it factors in very high on any players radar in terms of playing in Chicago.

And sure many will agree with you but somehow it's probably a lot of fellow Canuck fans who put the fan in fantic.

Reactions: Nick Lang

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I really don't think that it factors in very high on any players radar in terms of playing in Chicago.

And sure many will agree with you but somehow it's probably a lot of fellow Canuck fans who put the fan in fantic.
I need to ask the couple of fin NHLers that I get to work with how they view something like this.

You are probably right for most players.

But I disagree that we should just not talk about the awful shit that went down in Chicago during their "glory years."

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I need to ask the couple of fin NHLers that I get to work with how they view something like this.

It would be interesting to hear their views but if one poses the question like this, So player X how do you feel about the Black Hawks being a team that is

associated a organization of scumbag and sex offenders.

I think the question should be hey any concerns if you could traded or played for Chicago would result in a more organic answer.

You are probably right for most players.

But I disagree that we should just not talk about the awful shit that went down in Chicago during their "glory years."
That's fine but more appropriate for a specific thread on that topic as there really wasn't any reason to insert Bedard and your possibility in a Hughes brothers comment although I would buy that Bedard wants to play with his hometown Canucks being higher on his list of reasons, if has any thoughts on this at all.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think this group tends to wait till the very end to make a move.
It is the last minute. Or very, very soon. I hope and expect reports of three Canuck FA signings today. Myers signing might a little later, I think he wants to stay badly enough he might take a token paycheck, he does have generational earnings already, well over 60 million and the team is close so his deal might be what is left over.

I think Zadorov's deal will be 7 years maybe 8 to keep the cap hit lower but front loaded. A 40 million contract should insure his family is set for another generation or two.

One thing for sure if there any leaks they don't come out until late, that happened with the Miler trade that got nixed, with Hronek trade which was early and even the Mikheyev trade was done less than 24 hours after info was posted of it may be happening.

Ought to be fun today buyout day.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i have a valuation theory on this trade

the retention to me reflects the fact hawks valued mikheyev at $4m if he bounces back and would have treated the additional amount as dead cap requiring full payment accordingly. this makes sense. i always thought the canucks overpaid for mikheyev in the first place because they were in a tire fire situation.

the rest of the the trade is thus strictly to cover the risk he does not bounce back so there is potential dead cap. worst case is mikheyev is a competent veteran 3rd line checker who pks but does not score and is worth maybe $1.5m. so they were risking $5m in cap. call it a 50/50 risk at $5m and value it at $2.5m dead cap.

in a similar trade for dickinson the dead cap swing if there was no bounce back was way less cash (maybe 50/50 to lose $2m). relatively speaking i think allvin did very well here. there must have been somebody else bidding and alvin must have brought up how well the hawks did on dickinson every other sentence.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Will say management was right to argue Mikheyev would bounce back when negotiating. There is a good chance he does.

But this team can’t afford any boat anchors and they couldn’t take on the risk that he doesn’t.

Good on them to make the move even though they may look foolish for giving him up, particularly since he should get loads of minutes in Chicago.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Mik was getting paid like a second line forward but producing below a typical fourth liner along with being a complete non-factor in the playoffs. so This needed to be done if we want to seriously compete next season as using 4.75M in cap on a guy playing at league minimum level isn’t going cut it on a contender.

I was expecting to have to give up our 25 first or second to pull this off but maybe Chicago figures they have enough present picks and prospects and want future picks for trade currency for when they expect to be contending again and figure that Mik can rebound and help them in the meantime.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Will say management was right to argue Mikheyev would bounce back when negotiating. There is a good chance he does.

But this team can’t afford any boat anchors and they couldn’t take on the risk that he doesn’t.

Good on them to make the move even though they may look foolish for giving him up, particularly since he should get loads of minutes in Chicago.

This. I fully expect him to right himself in CHI, but this all comes down to the replacement for his money. If they can get a player that betters his projected impact here, all good.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i have a valuation theory on this trade

the retention to me reflects the fact hawks valued mikheyev at $4m if he bounces back and would have treated the additional amount as dead cap requiring full payment accordingly. this makes sense. i always thought the canucks overpaid for mikheyev in the first place because they were in a tire fire situation.

the rest of the the trade is thus strictly to cover the risk he does not bounce back so there is potential dead cap. worst case is mikheyev is a competent veteran 3rd line checker who pks but does not score and is worth maybe $1.5m. so they were risking $5m in cap. call it a 50/50 risk at $5m and value it at $2.5m dead cap.

in a similar trade for dickinson the dead cap swing if there was no bounce back was way less cash (maybe 50/50 to lose $2m). relatively speaking i think allvin did very well here. there must have been somebody else bidding and alvin must have brought up how well the hawks did on dickinson every other sentence.
Interesting. I think Chicago is clearly fine with overpaying players to fill the roster over the next two seasons as evidenced by the contract they gave to Dickinson.

As for the Canucks overpaying him in the first place because we were in a “tire fire” situation, that doesn’t make much sense to me since at the time we actually had a logjam on the wings and the common thinking here was that somebody needed to be traded. I think that was the thinking. That they thought they would be able to trade Boeser or Garland or both and swap the two with Kuzmenko and Mik.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting. I think Chicago is clearly fine with overpaying players to fill the roster over the next two seasons as evidenced by the contract they gave to Dickinson.

As for the Canucks overpaying him in the first place because we were in a “tire fire” situation, that doesn’t make much sense to me since at the time we actually had a logjam on the wings and the common thinking here was that somebody needed to be traded. I think that was the thinking. That they thought they would be able to trade Boeser or Garland or both and swap the two with Kuzmenko and Mik.
I knew based on their roster and lack of prospect development in the late 201X and early 202X, that they were not going to replicate their success with kane/Toews elc years. Bedard will count 10 figures against the cap before they put in a winning season. They are still asset accumulating.

Only guys they are going to bank on are Bedard and Vlasic off their last year's roster. Even former 1st in 2020 Reichel isn't a lock in 3 years.

They really have no choice but to slow play it.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Honestly I think the NJ thing is overblown and its extremely unlikely that we see Quinn joining his brothers in NJ during his peak or even prime.
Looks like NJ has some inefficient contracts still on the book when Quinn hit UFA. They still have Hamilton at 9m for 1 more season, Meier at 8.8m for a few more. Hischier will also be a UFA at the same time and need a big contract. Not to mention if Luke Hughes and Nemec are as good as projected, they will commend a lot of money too. They are also rumored to be after Pesce. With that much cap committed, I doubt they have the cap space to go after Quinn even if he wants to goto NJ. They can pay up to dump 1 year of Hamilton, but probably still not enough if Quinn next contract is 12m+.

On the other hand, Jack Hughes will be UFA at the same time JTM hits UFA in 2029-30, and we don't have many contracts committed that far out (at this point). Jack would be a good replacement for JTM.

Reactions: wetcoast

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I knew based on their roster and lack of prospect development in the late 201X and early 202X, that they were not going to replicate their success with kane/Toews elc years. Bedard will count 10 figures against the cap before they put in a winning season. They are still asset accumulating.

Only guys they are going to bank on are Bedard and Vlasic off their last year's roster. Even former 1st in 2020 Reichel isn't a lock in 3 years.

They really have no choice but to slow play it.

Ya. Chicago took an interesting approach. I'm not privy to the conversation but I would have kept Toews and Kane (or one of them) so Bedard can learn from them rather than bring in vets who were there for a paycheck.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ya. Chicago took an interesting approach. I'm not privy to the conversation but I would have kept Toews and Kane (or one of them) so Bedard can learn from them rather than bring in vets who were there for a paycheck.
Toews is just done physically and whatever his illness was. Kane, could still play and opted for Det this past year. Once he was traded to NYR, I didn't see him returning.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Dickinson, Foligno and Mikheyev all come off of the books when Bedard's ELC expires. They're almost like placeholders for his future cap hit.

I think the Canucks did alright in this trade. The equivalent of unloading Mikheyev's contract for a 2nd round pick, just substituting the return of a 4th-rounder for eating $1.4M of it.

Reactions: F A N

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Worth saying again what an incredible transaction this was by our management. I was afraid we wouldn't have a dance partner for Mikh, but PA found one at a good price. I still can't believe it.

Everything that happens, from the Joshua re-signing and onwards, happens because of this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad