Raptors Discussion: v52 | Yep...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

You disagree with my assessment of Andrew Wiggins or the Raptors' intentions for next season?

AW. Really overrated? Sorry but thats completely wrong. Quit making judgements on a player on his effective FG%. Sorry to break it to you but AW is a generational talent or at least elite talent. He has had an amazing rookie season and no buts about it

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Cathal Kelly of the Globe and Mail speculates that the Toronto Raptors might trade DeMar DeRozan to the Los Angeles Lakers during the offseason. Kelly also speculates that Amir Johnson, Landry Fields, Chuck Hayes, Greg Stiemsma, Lou Williams, and Greivis Vasquez won't be playing for the Toronto Raptors next season.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...sy-from-the-raptors-meltdown/article24132860/

I can see Amir, Lou and the rest being moved/not signed. What I can't see is them trading Demar a guy who loves the city, can put up big numbers, is a great team mate and signed long term.

What I would love to know is what would LA offer Toronto? Do they honestly think the Raptors are just going to give them Demar ffs. Gotta love these kind of reports.

My guess is:

Casey out is a given.
Masi brings in a legit starting PF to replace Amir
Masi goes out and Finds a legit starting SF.
Masi Brings in a legit backup center.
Masi finds a trade for Ross and brings in some help at one of the other positions, PF, SF or backup C. or maybe multiple backup positions.

He needs to find a legit leader on the court. The team respects Demar and I think he's a fine piece to have but I don't think at this point he's that leader that takes them to the next level. His game may get there next year but I don't think his leadership skills are there yet.

Starting 5:
JV
Free agent
FA/Trade?
Demar
KL

Bench:
FA/Trade
Patterson
FA/Trade
FA/Trade
Vasquez

There is a lot of work to do here. Some people may want Lou back but I think he's going to want too much and tbh 6th man award or not I think there are better options out there. He's too streaky and disappears quite a bit, I am not sure how he got 6th man, but can't take that away he's going to want to get paid.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
AW. Really overrated? Sorry but thats completely wrong. Quit making judgements on a player on his effective FG%. Sorry to break it to you but AW is a generational talent or at least elite talent. He has had an amazing rookie season and no buts about it
Andrew Wiggins is an athletic guy. He has potential. But I don't think he would help the Raptors right away. And there's no way the TWolves are going to trade him anyway.

His eFG% is actually a little lower post all-star break than pre-break despite his 1.3% bump in FG%. His 3PT% has dropped off considerably. He's getting to the line more though and his free throw shooting has improved. So his true shooting % post-break is like .529. Which is almost average. Overall that's a solid improvement.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I can see Amir, Lou and the rest being moved/not signed. What I can't see is them trading Demar a guy who loves the city, can put up big numbers, is a great team mate and signed long term.

What I would love to know is what would LA offer Toronto? Do they honestly think the Raptors are just going to give them Demar ffs. Gotta love these kind of reports.

DD has one year remaining. There's like a 0.01% chance he'll pick up that player option unless he suddenly forgets how to pad his point totals.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Welcome to Toronto, Demarcus cousins. Would love Knight or Jeff Green.

Honestly think Ujiri will try and lure an elite star. I don't see a rebuild happening.

Demarcus cousins has legit star potential. but he's a train wreck, and bringing in someone like him could be worse then not bringing in someone like him.
If he put all that off court **** behind him got his head turned on straight he would be a beast, but he's a man child and a spoiled on at that so no thanks.

If were looking at going after a superstar type player why not go after someone like Marc Gasol? and if you land someone like him do you then look at trading JV? or do you convert Gasol to PF?

Kawhi Leonard is a guy I would love to see us go all in on, elite defender still finding consistency in his offensive game but steps up huge when he needs to and he's the kind of guy that you could add to your core for a lot of years.

Doubt any of these moves happen tho it's going to be guys like Millsap if he can be pulled away from that hawks team. Still good player just maybe in that B level of talent not the A level but will still get paid big to play in Canada if he's signed.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
DD has one year remaining. There's like a 0.01% chance he'll pick up that player option unless he suddenly forgets how to pad his point totals.

I thought he had 3 years remaining after this season, regardless he's not going anywhere imo he's a key piece and has improved every year and has been mostly injury resistant except for this season his first real injury.

DD may not be the superstar player but if he puts it together like he's shown down stretches of the season he's a legit top 5 SG in the league. There is just times where he plays like he's a bottom 5 SG in the league also. So he's not untouchable but I also think he's a key part of the future of the Raptors moving forward.

mikebel111*

I thought he had 3 years remaining after this season, regardless he's not going anywhere imo he's a key piece and has improved every year and has been mostly injury resistant except for this season his first real injury.

DD may not be the superstar player but if he puts it together like he's shown down stretches of the season he's a legit top 5 SG in the league. There is just times where he plays like he's a bottom 5 SG in the league also. So he's not untouchable but I also think he's a key part of the future of the Raptors moving forward.

I agree. DD isnt the issue on this team and never has been

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Kelly Olynky tried to injure Kevin Love. Good western canadian boy?

Love me some Demarcus Cousins. Would give up anything on the Raptors for him and build around him.

Theres nothing on the Raptors i would have a hard time packaging for a better player. Val and Patterson seem like keepers but maybe it would of been better to start the rebuild like Masai planned.

Curious does anyone know the details of the Lowry trade to NY? Was it going to be an unprotected first? lol doesnt matter now just want to know

Last edited:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Don't really have any interest in Cousins. He's not a team guy and not what you need to succeed in terms of leadership. When you give up a bundle like that, you want a guy who's going to lead on and off the court, and he doesn't do that. It's bad enough we have to deal with Lowry's whining to the refs, couldn't handle Cousins.

I'd really like to see a lot of the UFA's replaced. I'd like to see Lou come back at a decent number. I'd also like to package GV and T Ross for a legit starting 3. Be nice to get a guy who is actually good defensively and a good passer. We need a good back up PG who can actually play defense. I'm sick of seeing GV come in and his terrible lateral movement.

Big changes coming this off-season, should be also interesting to see what kind of steps forward Bruno takes!

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Man what I would give for the Raps to curb stomp whatever team he's on in the playoffs.

Damn shame this team didn't show more pride or fight in this series.

Regardless, hey Pierce,

Bm6XZHfCcAI0TVV.jpg:large

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kelly Olynky tried to injure Kevin Love. Good western canadian boy?

Love me some Demarcus Cousins. Would give up anything on the Raptors for him and build around him.

Theres nothing on the Raptors i would have a hard time packaging for a better player. Val and Patterson seem like keepers but maybe it would of been better to start the rebuild like Masai planned.

Curious does anyone know the details of the Lowry trade to NY? Was it going to be an unprotected first? lol doesnt matter now just want to know

The New York Knicks were prepared to trade Raymond Felton and Metta World Peace plus Iman Shumpert or Tim Hardaway Jr. or a 2018 first-round pick in exchange for Kyle Lowry. The Raptors preferred the first-round pick, but Dolan — who negotiated the Carmelo Anthony trade with Raptors GM Masai Ujiri when Ujiri was with the Denver Nuggets — got cold feet about trading a future asset.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...s-knicks-deal-raptors-lowry-article-1.1546553

BOSTON — Within the span of 15 hours, the Knicks had reached a decision to acquire Toronto Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry before the trade was vetoed — at least for now — by Garden chairman James Dolan, the Daily News has learned.

According to a source familiar with the talks, Dolan had second thoughts about trading for Lowry and was also — what else? — enraged that details of the proposed deal had been leaked to the media.

According to several reports, the Knicks were prepared to trade Raymond Felton and Metta World Peace plus Iman Shumpert or Tim Hardaway Jr. or a 2018 first-round pick. The Raptors preferred the first-round pick, but Dolan — who negotiated the Carmelo Anthony trade with Raptors GM Masai Ujiri when Ujiri was with the Denver Nuggets — got cold feet about trading a future asset. That could open the door for the Brooklyn Nets to acquire Lowry instead.

“Dolan didn’t want to get fleeced again by Masai,” was how one Knicks source put it. “They had a deal ready.”

Knicks brass met following Wednesday’s win over Chicago and had decided to move forward with the deal, but by early Thursday afternoon, Dolan suddenly had second thoughts.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
This team just doesn't have it.

I would be incline to move anyone except Lowry as we need to continue to build from the draft.

We also shouldn't sign any ufa long term unless they are young and fit as this team needs more skilled young guys.

Watching that Boston series showed me that even though we have the better record this year, they have the better future and could easily surpass us next season if their players continue to develop.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

I was listening to TSN Radio in the car a couple of days ago and they had an NBA commentator (I cannot remember right now if he was Canadian or American but I am fairly certain he was from some US outlet) on talking about the Raptors and he said that Demar was staying because he isn't highly valued around the league. The TSN guy was all "WTF are you talking about???" but the guy stuck by his comments and laid out the reasons why. Unfortunately, I was at the drive thru window at Tim's by that time and turned down my radio so that I could hear the person when I was placing my order and I didn't catch his reasoning. No idea what truth there might be to that though....

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Paul Pierce is the GOAT

He owns the Raptors so much they should retire his number like the Heat did with MJ

Stewdizzle

Apr 27, 2015
Your assessment of Wiggins?? lol, wow you are clueless..?

Seriously do you own a TV..??

Have you ever actually played basketball, you don't seem to grasp the fundamentals at all...?? Andrew Wiggins is already close to being a basketball star and likely a top 15 player in a year or two??

Yes that means he will be one of the best 2 way players in the NBA before his 22nd birthday.

Now to address stupid comment number #2, if Andrew Wiggins is not this year's rookie of the year, than who is?? lol

Hint, you wont find out by google'ing random stat's on-line either buddy, lol.

Maybe play a game or two than watch a few "actual games"
and than come back here in a few months when you have a clue??

Stewdizzle

Apr 27, 2015
So you may have over-heard some random man on the radio not like Demar??

I am plugged in and can tell you that Demar is highly valued in today's NBA especially with his current contract.

I hear dozens of GM's opinion weekly and have actually formed my own threw the years. Demar might be the last guy I would want to trade on this team but for another young, high-rising/ high up-side star or top 3 pick in this years draft I would have to listen.

Trading Demar would also set us back because Ross likely wont ever become an all-star and recently a key team USA player, although in a few years he would improve noticeably from where is now.

There is an unusually simple answer here, just spend some money for a change because the cap is sky-rocketing over the next 3 years. The should grab the best free-agent big-man they can this year, than offer max money at whatever elite free agent is available in 2016.

Than in 2018 possibly late 2017 if things really go bad in Minnesota you make a run at Wiggins when he starts to talk about wanting to leave Minnesota.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Raptors shortcomings exposed in playoff run

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2015/04/25/raptors-shortcomings-exposed-in-playoff-run.html

This is not a championship contender, it was always going to be matchups that determined post-season success and the hard slogging is still to come.

The series with the Wizards has just been played in a brighter spotlight than the regular season so more people have come to a realization that’s been fact since November.

“I’ll say it again: This team is not a finished product … I think we’re probably a step ahead of the process as far as growing what we have to as far as a team,” coach Dwane Casey said in a sombre practice gym at George Washington University here Saturday.

I think this says it all and the off season moves that Masai Ujiri makes, will address a number of areas these play-offs have uncovered.

We are a young team and have a number of good players to build around.

Shwaguy*

Andrew Wiggins had an effective field goal % of .454 and true shooting % of .517. The NBA average is .496 for eFG% and .534 for TS%. He is overrated as hell. Anyone can shoot a bunch of times and pad their point totals. That doesn`t make you rookie of the year.

Andrew Wiggins has value as a prospect. But the Raptors I`m assuming want to move forward and compete in the playoffs next year rather than go through a rebuild.

Most every elite Wing prospect has had a bad rookie season in terms of TS%. Good thing there is WAY more to basketball than TS%.

He's not overrated. If you watched him more you would know that it's undeniable that he's the future of this league along with Anthony Davis.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
I kinda like the idea of signing deandre and packaging DD + val for parker and Middleton rights.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Don't really have any interest in Cousins. He's not a team guy and not what you need to succeed in terms of leadership. When you give up a bundle like that, you want a guy who's going to lead on and off the court, and he doesn't do that. It's bad enough we have to deal with Lowry's whining to the refs, couldn't handle Cousins.

I'd really like to see a lot of the UFA's replaced. I'd like to see Lou come back at a decent number. I'd also like to package GV and T Ross for a legit starting 3. Be nice to get a guy who is actually good defensively and a good passer. We need a good back up PG who can actually play defense. I'm sick of seeing GV come in and his terrible lateral movement.

Big changes coming this off-season, should be also interesting to see what kind of steps forward Bruno takes!

I don't disagree with what you say on Cousins but maybe it's possible the Raptors have too many choir boys and they need some edge to their team. This team certainly doesn't play with any type of edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad