Raptors Discussion: v52 | Yep...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwaguy*

Demarcus cousins has legit star potential. but he's a train wreck, and bringing in someone like him could be worse then not bringing in someone like him.
If he put all that off court **** behind him got his head turned on straight he would be a beast, but he's a man child and a spoiled on at that so no thanks.

If were looking at going after a superstar type player why not go after someone like Marc Gasol? and if you land someone like him do you then look at trading JV? or do you convert Gasol to PF?

Kawhi Leonard is a guy I would love to see us go all in on, elite defender still finding consistency in his offensive game but steps up huge when he needs to and he's the kind of guy that you could add to your core for a lot of years.

Doubt any of these moves happen tho it's going to be guys like Millsap if he can be pulled away from that hawks team. Still good player just maybe in that B level of talent not the A level but will still get paid big to play in Canada if he's signed.

Off the court Cousins is fine. On the court sure.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Interesting read.

What's next for the Raptors?

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/what-s-next-for-the-raptors-1.267689

WASHINGTON - With the regular season in the books, the winningest in his team's 20-year history, Toronto Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri met with the media a couple weeks back and was asked how the upcoming post-season might impact his decision making this summer.

"100 per cent it influences everything, in my opinion," Ujiri replied. "It just depends on the results that you have.

"When the offseason comes, we'll really look at both last year and this year's playoffs. You assess everything. You have to assess your players. You have to evaluate all of them. The playoffs does make an impact in terms of evaluating for the off-season."

Now Ujiri goes back to the drawing board, only this summer figures to be a lot more eventful.

Oddly enough, outside of Bruno Caboclo - a 19-year-old rookie who logged just 23 total minutes this year - no one on this roster or coaching staff is a safe bet to return.

Ujiri has yet to truly put his stamp on this team. He hasn't had to. He's pulled the trigger on deals to rid the franchise of Andrea Bargnani and Rudy Gay. He stole Lou Williams - the NBA's Sixth Man - from Atlanta last summer. But the starting five and the head coach were here when he took his post ahead of last season.

Changes are coming this summer and this team will likely look very different when training camp opens next fall.

Often times it's hard to see the forest for the trees, but there's reason for optimism looking ahead to the team's future, both in the short and long term. The Raptors have assets in some affordable and moveable contracts, they have financial flexibility and draft picks. They're also in capable hands with Ujiri, the 2012-13 Executive of the Year at the helm.

Williams and long-time Raptor Amir Johnson are two of six players who will hit unrestricted free agency this off-season. They'll have over $28 million US coming off the books. How much of that they can or will use to try and lure free agents over will depend on whether they bring Williams and Johnson back, and if they opt to extend Jonas Valanciunas or Terrence Ross (they'll both by up for extensions this summer, entering the final year of their rookie scale contracts).

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Following the Raptors for as long as I have, I think the successful last two seasons were both good and bad. Good because we got to see some good basketball and a winning team. But in a similar vein, it was false hope for this city and its fans. Without a true superstar player, this team will only peak at what they've shown. It's a deep, talented team, but it lacks a game breaking guy like an Anthony Davis or a Steph Curry or anyone in between. I don't think the Raps fans are down for tanking, but that's the only way we'll bottom out and get anyone with legit Superstar potential. Demar is great, but he doesn't have that IT factor that makes guys like Curry so coveted. If Masai does want to bottom out, selling high on guys like Lowry is a perfect time given the season he just had. Although I don't have much insight into who's in the next few drafts.

Shwaguy*

In the NBA you can get a star player outside the draft, unlike the NHL.

I'd be down to try for a DD+JV for Middleton+Jabari deal though, then throw the Max at one of the big time centres in FA

Shwaguy*

Also sign a quality Vet similar to Pierce in Washington.

You don't have to completely blow up the team, a retool yeah. But we have some stuff to work with

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
In the NBA you can get a star player outside the draft, unlike the NHL.

I'd be down to try for a DD+JV for Middleton+Jabari deal though, then throw the Max at one of the big time centres in FA

Depends on what kind of "star". We don't have the assets to go all in for a guy of Curry caliber because regardless, even if the team takes it, we're left as incredibly thin with no depth at all. Guys hitting FA won't be coming here unless there's incentive. I.E. A chance to compete for a title. We;re not getting Jabari. He's the future of the Bucks. I'd rather see what this team can do actually building internally and not just signing depth guys all the time. Trade for futures and then try to draft. Find our "IT" guy like Golden State and the Pelicans did and build around him. That's when you fill your team with depth and complimentary pieces.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Cousins + Kawhi please. Sign a vet presence (like Pierce on the Wiz)

Keep Demar, Lowry, JV, Lou, Vasquez, Patterson. Good bye Ross, Casey...

Lowry
DeRozan
Leonard
Cousins
Valanciunas

Vasquez
Lou
Patterson
Amir
X

We can also just wait and hope Durant hits free agency... Dream on

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

Lowry
DeRozan
Leonard
Cousins
Valanciunas

Vasquez
Lou
Patterson
Amir
X

Any sane fan knows that Kawhi is not going to sign anywhere but San Antonio. He thrives there. Not to mention the reports and rumours that Aldridge might sign there. Infinitely better prospects with the Spurs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So after what just transpired, was it worse being a Leafs fan or a Raptors fan this season? Raptors had some expectations this season, unlike the Leafs, and the way they flamed out I bet was pretty painful for people who are big fans of the Raptors. What happened to the Leafs was almost expected in a way.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Any sane fan knows that Kawhi is not going to sign anywhere but San Antonio. He thrives there. Not to mention the reports and rumours that Aldridge might sign there. Infinitely better prospects with the Spurs.
I know. Just dreaming here.

In Masai I trust. I'm sure he will make big moves as they need to be done.

If Durant comes back healthy, I really do see us having a chance at signing him.

hdtrax

So after what just transpired, was it worse being a Leafs fan or a Raptors fan this season? Raptors had some expectations this season, unlike the Leafs, and the way the flamed out I bet was pretty painful for people who are big fans of the Raptors. What happened to the Leafs was almost expected in a way.

Raptors disappointed, yes - but they still set a franchise record 49 wins. The first round match up was disastrous (imagine we had climbed to 3 and played Milwaukee instead) and the players put a lot of pressure on themselves. Yes - this was a terrible outcome - but as was mentioned, a retool seems more in the cards than a rebuild. And I still trust in Ujiri.

The Leafs, on the other hand, have been a mess for well over a decade. I think it's clear what's worse.

Also re: Durant - I see no chance of that happening. In fact, I'd say he'd go to Washington or stay in OKC before considering Toronto. We need to focus on building a solid core around Demar and Lowry and getting a third option in the front court.

Shwaguy*

Lowry
DeRozan
Leonard
Cousins
Valanciunas

Vasquez
Lou
Patterson
Amir
X

We can also just wait and hope Durant hits free agency... Dream on

Neither would happen, if Boogie gets traded it'll be after next season.

And you can bet your ass there's no way we keep JV in a Boogie trade.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I know. Just dreaming here.

In Masai I trust. I'm sure he will make big moves as they need to be done.

If Durant comes back healthy, I really do see us having a chance at signing him.

Depends on the state of OKC. I would cry tears of joy if we signed KD. He's more than just an IT guy. We'd be vaulted to contender status instantly. Just get deeper and sign a quality big and we're good. But that's still a pipe dream at this point.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Depends on the state of OKC. I would cry tears of joy if we signed KD. He's more than just an IT guy. We'd be vaulted to contender status instantly. Just get deeper and sign a quality big and we're good. But that's still a pipe dream at this point.
Fire Casey. Hire Brooks. Reunite him with Durant...

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Raps need a couple of days to can Casey. I expect him gone by the end of the week though. Need to make a statement to the fans immediately that this was an epic collapse and they want to remedy the situation immediately.

Then Raps need to go get a Vet, a new starting PF, a new starting SF. Trade Ross don't resign Amir.

Sign Brooks as the next coach. Might entice Durant to come to T-Dot instead of waiting for Wiggins to become a FA. If you need a stop-gap then go see if you can get a guy like Kawhi Leonard. I don't see the Spurs being a dynasty much longer with all their stars getting old (Duncan just turned 39). I'd like to see Millsap come here. I don't see Aldridge signing with us. I see him going to a West coast team or re-signing. Or if they can trade for the Manimal. He's got that connection with Masai and the guy can rebound and be a presence down low. Moreso then Amir.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Raps need a couple of days to can Casey. I expect him gone by the end of the week though. Need to make a statement to the fans immediately that this was an epic collapse and they want to remedy the situation immediately.

Then Raps need to go get a Vet, a new starting PF, a new starting SF. Trade Ross don't resign Amir.

Sign Brooks as the next coach. Might entice Durant to come to T-Dot instead of waiting for Wiggins to become a FA. If you need a stop-gap then go see if you can get a guy like Kawhi Leonard. I don't see the Spurs being a dynasty much longer with all their stars getting old (Duncan just turned 39). I'd like to see Millsap come here. I don't see Aldridge signing with us. I see him going to a West coast team or re-signing. Or if they can trade for the Manimal. He's got that connection with Masai and the guy can rebound and be a presence down low. Moreso then Amir.

Leonard will be signing a max deal with the Spurs. He's nothing close to a stop-gap.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Most every elite Wing prospect has had a bad rookie season in terms of TS%. Good thing there is WAY more to basketball than TS%.

He's not overrated. If you watched him more you would know that it's undeniable that he's the future of this league along with Anthony Davis.
There is more to the game of basketball than shooting. But for a shooting guard/small forward that averages 13.8 FGA/36 min (his team average btw is 12.4 FGA/36), it's a big part of his game. His ability to win free throws and his improved free throw shooting has made a big difference to his true shooting %.

For Rookie of the Year, Nikola Mirotic seems more deserving. He's overlooked for the award because he averages 10.2 PPG. But he only plays 20.2 MPG. Don't let the MPG fool you. He's made a big impact on the Bulls. He's ranked 7th on the Bulls in total MP (so he's had to take on a greater role on the team to cover for injuries). So he's been more like a 7th man than a 9th man for the Bulls this season. He plays less minutes per game but he played every game. That counts for something in terms of physical demands on the player.

Andrew Wiggins has been a net positive to his team after the all-star break (a sample size of what? 30 games?) But in the first 52 games he was a net negative to the team.

It goes against conventional wisdom, I know, because people just look at the PPG chart and see that Andrew Wiggins is up there and they see that he's got sick moves on the basketball court and he's athletic. So he's got this big halo effect around him. He also benefits from the recency effect (post-all-star game). And in Toronto in particular, he has the halo effect of being a Toronto-born and bred player in a sport that Canada doesn't excel at (and the Toronto Raptors don't even have any Canadians on their team).

Shwaguy*

There is more to the game of basketball than shooting. But for a shooting guard/small forward that averages 13.8 FGA/36 min (his team average btw is 12.4 FGA/36), it's a big part of his game. His ability to win free throws and his improved free throw shooting has made a big difference to his true shooting %.

For Rookie of the Year, Nikola Mirotic seems more deserving. He's overlooked for the award because he averages 10.2 PPG. But he only plays 20.2 MPG. Don't let the MPG fool you. He's made a big impact on the Bulls. He's ranked 7th on the Bulls in total MP (so he's had to take on a greater role on the team to cover for injuries). So he's been more like a 7th man than a 9th man for the Bulls this season.

Andrew Wiggins has been a net positive to his team after the all-star break (a sample size of what? 30 games?) But in the first 52 games he was a net negative to the team.

It goes against conventional wisdom, I know, because people just look at the PPG chart and see that Andrew Wiggins is up there and they see that he's got sick moves on the basketball court and he's athletic. So he's got this big halo effect around him. He also benefits from the recency effect (post-all-star game). And in Toronto in particular, he has the halo effect of being a Toronto-born and bred player in a sport that Canada doesn't excel at (and the Toronto Raptors don't even have any Canadians on their team).

No. Stop this. Wiggins isn't ROY because he has high ppg. Wiggins will win it because he's the best rookie.

20 MPG does NOT win you ROY. Never. And it shouldn't. It's just a contrarian opinion like to have and go against the grain with so they feel smart. Sorry.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
No. Stop this. Wiggins isn't ROY because he has high ppg. Wiggins will win it because he's the best rookie.

20 MPG does NOT win you ROY. Never. And it shouldn't. It's just a contrarian opinion like to have and go against the grain with so they feel smart. Sorry.
20.2 MPG across all 82 games. He's ranked 9th in the NBA among rookies in total MP.

And in the 1654 minutes he played that season, he's had more of an impact than Andrew Wiggins' 2969 minutes. Despite being 9th among Rookies in MP, Nikola tops all rookies in Offensive Win Shares, 2nd among rookies in Defensive Win Shares and tops them all in overall Win Shares.

On the Chicago Bulls (a winning team), even though he's ranked only 7th in MP, he's 3rd in Offensive Win Shares, 4th in Defensive Win Shares and 3rd in overall Win Shares.

Andrew Wiggins over the course of 82 games is ranked 2nd in Win Shares on the Timberwolves but he's played the most minutes. By the minute, the Timberwolves (the worst team in the NBA!) average a better win share than him. Post-All-Star Break is different.

Overall, Nikola has had the bigger impact in his rookie season. And has made a big impact on the Chicago Bulls. But he's Chicago's 9th man, 7th man at best. He hasn't benefited from the same opportunities that Andrew Wiggins was handed. And Andrew Wiggins tops the PPG charts, has some nifty moves and he's athletic. So it is what it is.

If you had two employees at your company. One of them a full-time employee working 40 hours/week whose productivity was below-average and a part-time employee working 22 hrs/week who was more productive in 22 hours than your full-time employee was in 40 hours, who do you think is going to win Employee of the Year? In the real world, the full-time employee probably would have got canned before he ever had a chance to improve. Not saying that the Timberwolves should trade Andrew Wiggins. Basketball GMs have more patience with rookies than managers have with entry-level staff. As they should. But he's not deserving of Rookie of the Year either.

Last edited:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
At least this finally gives Masai the opportunity to make some big changes that he wants. After the Gay trade the team and coach basically forced his hand to more or less stand pat and only make minor tweaks. Now he can justify shaking things up drastically, which he will have to now that we have so many bodies leaving as free agents.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Who do we want to play in the second round?

Hahahahaha

Most gutless team ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad