Utah Hockey Club unveils brand for inaugural season, launches social media

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
unpopular opinion but I like Utah HC over the other names I've seen thrown out there. Washington FC was better than commanders, too.

these jerseys are bland though, unsurprisingly.
As a Washington fan, Football Club was not better than Commanders. People hate the name Commanders because it's not the Redskins, not because it's such a terrible name. I'd much rather answer "Commanders" when people ask me what football team I like, instead of answering "Football Team".

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like a college jersey but I like the colors, maybe a bit too close to the Jets but oh well. Interesting to see if they change to an official name

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
If you think those look like the sharks colors, you need to have an eye exam.
It’s not the same but it’s damn closw

Why the NHL doesn’t have strict rules enforcing unique branding is beyond me. Half the teams are white + red and or blue

Or black +, and of all the colors they could combine, they chose damn near the sharks/ potential future black 3rd jerseys for Seattle

There’s so many color combos and shades out there. I was hoping they’d go unique like Vegas

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Why the NHL doesn’t have strict rules enforcing unique branding is beyond me. Half the teams are white + red and or blue
Umm what league does this? That would be an insane thing to tell a group of individual franchise owners.

“You paid a billion dollars. Can’t be blue. Sorry.”

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Umm what league does this? That would be an insane thing to tell a group of individual franchise owners.

“You paid a billion dollars. Can’t be blue. Sorry.”
They wouldn’t have to buy in. I seriously doubt any billionaire would care THAT much

They’re different franchises. It shouldn’t be confusing for casual fans who on what team just scored, because the jerseys are often similar and or the colors match both logos, but I see that shit with people watching hockey

It’s boring. Again, there’s a million colors and fans will buy their teams jerseys anyway. The caps jerseys are horrible but they sell a ton because Ovechkin. It wouldn’t hurt the billionaires much if it all, but the uniqueness of franchises would benefit

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
In the spirit of internet message boards everywhere, I’ll add the obligatory “this is the worst name and sweaters EVAH. EVAH. There has never been anything on planet earth worse than this. The people who came up with these should be hung, shot, their bodies burned, and the ashes collected and shipped into space. Nothing on earth was EVAH worse than this.”

And when they pick a name and put the new logo on the jerseys, it will replace this as the worst thing EVAH! For that matter, something will happen in the next 30 minutes that will replace this.

We now return you to your regular programming.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
They wouldn’t have to buy in. I seriously doubt any billionaire would care THAT much

They’re different franchises. It shouldn’t be confusing for casual fans who on what team just scored, because the jerseys are often similar and or the colors match both logos, but I see that shit with people watching hockey

It’s boring. Again, there’s a million colors and fans will buy their teams jerseys anyway. The caps jerseys are horrible but they sell a ton because Ovechkin. It wouldn’t hurt the billionaires much if it all, but the uniqueness of franchises would benefit
This is 'Merica dude. The second you tell some billionaire he can't do what he wants with his own franchise with something as simple as what color their jerseys are, is the second all the billionaires bail from your league and go by franchises in professional sports that aren't operated under the will of some weird color politburo.

There are a lot of blue teams because people like the color blue. It is probably of some interest for a franchise to try and standout perhaps, but that's up to the franchise. I don't want some central NHL office telling me the franchise in my city can't be blue because 10 other teams have blue. Maybe it's boring but what you are talking about is completely unenforceable.

And if some casual hockey fan can't tell the difference between the Sharks wearing a white jersey with a giant "Shark" on the front and Utah HC wearing a powder blue jersey with the script "Utah" on it when they are playing each other...that's just weird. Somehow the Europeans do ok with 8,000,000 red and blue clubs and essentially no logos.

Reactions: Viqsi

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Not bad. Simple and classy. Hard to imagine anyone outside the state buying gear though.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Should just wear the coyotes 96s jerseys for the year, those are legit badass. The new color pattern is to close to Winnepeg and others 3rd jerseys. Hopefully when they pick a name they go for a more bold color the jazz color patterns will work.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I get the timeline was short and everything but it still feels like a missed opportunity. This is a one-time opportunity to celebrate your inaugural season and these jerseys will forever be etched in your history. Do something fun with it. One day these will be throwbacks for a Winter Classic or anniversary season.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Should just wear the coyotes 96s jerseys for the year, those are legit badass.
It's worth remembering that Utah doesn't have the rights to any Coyotes intellectual property - that is all still owned by Meruelo as part of the extant (but inactive) Arizona Coyotes franchise.

Reactions: cptjeff

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
It actually is pretty original for NA, and better than the rest of those horrible options for names.
So open the naming up to fans. Then open the voting up to fans and say it will run until June 20th.

Then decide. NAH. We change our minds. We don't like it. They never should have had it open for fans to decide if they weren't going to actually let them decide... If I spent hundreds of millions of dollars I wouldn't let it be a 'fan vote', but they're the ones who decided to do it in the first place.

Last edited:

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I really dont understand why they dont just wait until they have a team name and then unveil the branding and all that? I do like the color scheme though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Shows what you know, because the fans actually preferred Washington FC to the Commanders.
I know that, and they preferred it because, as I said in the post you quoted but apparently struggled to read, they botched the name. Which shows how stupid this step is - just give the team its long term name, they aren't going to "get it right" by waiting. It's corporate speak that makes the ownership group feel smart. Copying the botched process of the Washington Commies it moronic.

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
I wish Mike Smith still played for the team. They definitely need a "Smith" to draw crowds. Missed opportunity.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I actually don't mind the jersey for this upcoming season. Not bad.

When they get their name trademarked etc I hope there's options to change the color suiting the name of the team.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad