Confirmed Trade: [UTA/TBL] Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Is it really "bailing out" if the other team gets a very good player out of it? Let's not pretend that Utah is just taking dead salary here, they took a player from TB that they feel can contribute to them now, and are giving up a fair package of assets to do so.
They got a good-but-not-elite player. Sergachev is a great #3. He struggles when the brunt of the toughs and defensive responsibility are thrust on him. Needs the infrastructure around him to be maximally successful. I don't think any competitive team should plan for him to be their 1D.

At 5v5, I don't think Moser is much of a downgrade. But he is crucially (for TB) a lot cheaper, and they also get some other assets they can use.

I think Utah is better on the ice in this transaction, but they paid a premium to do it. I think the Marino deal was much more shrewd.

Reactions: DFC

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sergachev is extremely talented
Sergachev is mobile/fast
Sergachev is big
Sergachev is smart

Problem is Sergachev is careless. I don't want to call him lazy because usually he screws up doing something extra that he doesn't have to, and I don't wanna call him dumb because he sees things on the ice and makes 200IQ plays.

His lackadaisical play makes things so much harder for himself and will frustrate the hell out of you. If he'd mature there is very little doubt in my eyes that he's a #1.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it really "bailing out" if the other team gets a very good player out of it? Let's not pretend that Utah is just taking dead salary here, they took a player from TB that they feel can contribute to them now, and are giving up a fair package of assets to do so.
As much as Sergachev didn't fit in TB because of his skillset and the available roles (3LD, basically), he's a very good player with a lot of value. So yeah, to further your point, it's not like Utah was the only team willing to take sergachev. In that scenario, I understand holding us over a barrel. But the reality is he's a 26 year old Dman who can score 50+ points in the right situation. If your team doesn't want it, another one will.

They got a good-but-not-elite player. Sergachev is a great #3. He struggles when the brunt of the toughs and defensive responsibility are thrust on him. Needs the infrastructure around him to be maximally successful. I don't think any competitive team should plan for him to be their 1D.

At 5v5, I don't think Moser is much of a downgrade. But he is crucially (for TB) a lot cheaper, and they also get some other assets they can use.

I think Utah is better on the ice in this transaction, but they paid a premium to do it. I think the Marino deal was much more shrewd.
Pretty much this, yeah. I would only add that Sergachev has legit offensive skills. But they were gonna go to waste for a few more years in TB, behind Hedman. Can't pay 8.5 for a guy who isn't your best offensive or defensive option on his side of the ice.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pretty much this, yeah. I would only add that Sergachev has legit offensive skills. But they were gonna go to waste for a few more years in TB, behind Hedman. Can't pay 8.5 for a guy who isn't your best offensive or defensive option on his side of the ice.
Yeah, you're not getting anywhere near $8.5M of value if he's not on your 1PP or primary offensive defenseman. Didn't make sense for TB.

I guess he'll take over that role from Durzi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad