Confirmed Trade: [UTA/TBL] Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Is it really "bailing out" if the other team gets a very good player out of it? Let's not pretend that Utah is just taking dead salary here, they took a player from TB that they feel can contribute to them now, and are giving up a fair package of assets to do so.
They got a good-but-not-elite player. Sergachev is a great #3. He struggles when the brunt of the toughs and defensive responsibility are thrust on him. Needs the infrastructure around him to be maximally successful. I don't think any competitive team should plan for him to be their 1D.

At 5v5, I don't think Moser is much of a downgrade. But he is crucially (for TB) a lot cheaper, and they also get some other assets they can use.

I think Utah is better on the ice in this transaction, but they paid a premium to do it. I think the Marino deal was much more shrewd.

Reactions: DFC

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Sergachev is extremely talented
Sergachev is mobile/fast
Sergachev is big
Sergachev is smart

Problem is Sergachev is careless. I don't want to call him lazy because usually he screws up doing something extra that he doesn't have to, and I don't wanna call him dumb because he sees things on the ice and makes 200IQ plays.

His lackadaisical play makes things so much harder for himself and will frustrate the hell out of you. If he'd mature there is very little doubt in my eyes that he's a #1.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it really "bailing out" if the other team gets a very good player out of it? Let's not pretend that Utah is just taking dead salary here, they took a player from TB that they feel can contribute to them now, and are giving up a fair package of assets to do so.
As much as Sergachev didn't fit in TB because of his skillset and the available roles (3LD, basically), he's a very good player with a lot of value. So yeah, to further your point, it's not like Utah was the only team willing to take sergachev. In that scenario, I understand holding us over a barrel. But the reality is he's a 26 year old Dman who can score 50+ points in the right situation. If your team doesn't want it, another one will.

They got a good-but-not-elite player. Sergachev is a great #3. He struggles when the brunt of the toughs and defensive responsibility are thrust on him. Needs the infrastructure around him to be maximally successful. I don't think any competitive team should plan for him to be their 1D.

At 5v5, I don't think Moser is much of a downgrade. But he is crucially (for TB) a lot cheaper, and they also get some other assets they can use.

I think Utah is better on the ice in this transaction, but they paid a premium to do it. I think the Marino deal was much more shrewd.
Pretty much this, yeah. I would only add that Sergachev has legit offensive skills. But they were gonna go to waste for a few more years in TB, behind Hedman. Can't pay 8.5 for a guy who isn't your best offensive or defensive option on his side of the ice.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pretty much this, yeah. I would only add that Sergachev has legit offensive skills. But they were gonna go to waste for a few more years in TB, behind Hedman. Can't pay 8.5 for a guy who isn't your best offensive or defensive option on his side of the ice.
Yeah, you're not getting anywhere near $8.5M of value if he's not on your 1PP or primary offensive defenseman. Didn't make sense for TB.

I guess he'll take over that role from Durzi.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not sure what's happening in Utah, but from a TB fan's perspective:

Moser > Sergachev
Sergachev was said to be better than he was, so I can see that.

Tampa is also a better team than Utah(Arizona). Sergachev seems like an OK number 4 from the limit viewings I've seen of him in Utah.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Moser > Sergachev
Sergachev has the 3rd highest time on ice per game played in the entire NHL and is the only thing holding a decimated blueline together. The team would be entirely in shambles without him. I’ve been a huge fan so far. I had about the highest expectations of any Utah fan out there for him, and he’s met my expectations completely so far.

But it’s been a tiny sample size.

Sergachev was said to be better than he was, so I can see that.

Tampa is also a better team than Utah(Arizona). Sergachev seems like an OK number 4 from the limit viewings I've seen of him in Utah.
Try opening both eyes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev has the 3rd highest time on ice per game played in the entire NHL and is the only thing holding a decimated blueline together. The team would be entirely in shambles without him. I’ve been a huge fan so far. I had about the highest expectations of any Utah fan out there for him, and he’s met my expectations completely so far.

Moser has been incredibly consistent on our end. Great defensively and his offense seems kind of underrated.

I think both players are better fits with their new team than their old. For us, Moser is the better player.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Moser has been incredibly consistent on our end. Great defensively and his offense seems kind of underrated.

I think both players are better fits with their new team than their old. For us, Moser is the better player.
I always liked Moser. No complaints. Glad he’s doing well. Glad Geekie seems to be doing well, too. I watched him play at least 50+ times from his draft year through the last WHL playoffs. He’s a very funny and engaging kid. Easy to cheer for. I had him 10th on my list in his draft season and I was pretty happy overall with his development (consistency concerns aside).

It seems all three players are pretty much meeting the expectations I had for them at the time of the trade. Geekie a bit ahead of schedule, apparently. But it’s still very early.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Try opening both eyes.
You should.

Limited viewings should have been obvious, but I guess not.

Here.

LIMITED VIEWINGS.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Moser > Sergachev
I haven't watched Moser as much as TB fans but he looked very solid on Thursday. Not sure I would spike the football after 8 or 9 games though. The Wild had guys on the doorstep for a lot of the game and one of the goals we scored was JEE just standing in front of the goalie unmolested

Reactions: DFC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad